or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III - Page 832  

post #12466 of 78723

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by F. Corbera View Post


Perhaps this is the wrong thread, and perhaps your message is not the ideal one to which to reply...but, here goes.

A warm weather look:

544

As colder weather sets in:

544

There is no necktie in the first shot because it was so damn hot. In retrospect, a thick, wool tie done up in a double FIH was an unwise choice on such a muggy, infernal day. There was lightning and stuff.

In the second shot, the handlebar tips were shorn just before the photograph was taken because of an unfortunate soup-related issue. (Before you ask: asparagus soup with a seedless grape coulis...both were substitutions.) So, spare me the jokes about the moustache being "unbalanced." I know already.

 

 

Ha!  Look out Bond, he's dangerous.  I think he posted earlier about concealed carry for his Makarov.  Tough to do under a sweater.


Edited by scavenger - 9/20/11 at 8:21pm
post #12467 of 78723
DerekS - I think the navy blazer is workable... I suspect that it's because the pants are so slim that it really makes the shoulder seem even wider. If you had a wider leg pant it would probably balance it all out.
post #12468 of 78723
Quote:
Originally Posted by iammatt View Post

Sorry if it was overly rude....Rather than inviting discussion I mean it to invite even a small bit of self examination...
Thanks. It's certainly led to some good discussion. I hope it's led to some self-examination.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHolliday View Post

Shoes need to go. Tie seems jarring with sportcoat. But I like the use of contrast.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manofstyle85 View Post





Would a dark brown work better?

I think it's the shape (super-pointy toe) as much as the color.
Quote:
Originally Posted by james_timothy View Post

See, what the old timers can do is to aim at high accuracy at things I sort of know aren't quite right but can't put my finger on, and then put the problems into words with an ease that sounds like arbitrary rules. And which lead to interesting questions like the ones Doc asked.
+1 When explanations are given, they make a lot of sense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iammatt View Post

I believe I met the first fellow at an SF in SF meetup.
I don't recognize the first one, but I'm positive the second one is lefty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master-Classter View Post

DerekS - I think the navy blazer is workable... I suspect that it's because the pants are so slim that it really makes the shoulder seem even wider. If you had a wider leg pant it would probably balance it all out.
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the dropped lapels/gorge/whatever. Imo, that as much as the shoulders and buttons make it an 80s jacket.
post #12469 of 78723
That lapel flower just stick to his lapel, did it have a pin or anything? Just curious.
post #12470 of 78723

My understanding is that it was made out of sticky-tape.

post #12471 of 78723
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orgetorix View Post

Today's fit a bit of a fail IMO...I think there's too little contrast between suit and shirt and too great a contrast between those two and the tie. This tie is probably a good example of why Manton hates red ties.

DSCF7901.jpgDSCF7905.jpgDSCF7907.jpg



You have very good taste and style! Everything is always matched perfectly! Good fit.

 

But we want to see you on the jackets slightly longer and slightly wider.

I think that for you it will be better.

Some of your jackets seem a bit small and short.

I'm sure they are comfortable, but from the outside, visually - they seem a bit small.

 

Good luck!

 

post #12472 of 78723
Quote:
Originally Posted by preposterous View Post

My understanding is that it was made out of sticky-tape.


"I say!" *removes monocle.

interesting morning read, this thread.

derek i usually like your stuff but that jacket... whoa.
post #12473 of 78723
PG: smile.gif
post #12474 of 78723
Orgetorix - your jacket is not too small, but the trou have a long rise and are sitting too low. Dig the fishmouth notch lapels, tho.

F. Corbera, the slightly similar but just different enough faux furs in pic #2 are throwing me off. A bit more contrast would work wonders. Say, something like this:

526

I know, but before you say, "Robot pose, please," understand that in order to get the full effect of the quilted burgundy/fetid-dog-poo colored nylon jacket, one needs to stand in a posture suggestive of projectile vomiting. A useless pic, otherwise.
post #12475 of 78723
Quote:
Originally Posted by iammatt View Post


This starts out OK with the sportcoat and tie. However, the pocketsquare is a style which should not even exist, and a white dress shirt with a sportcoat isn't so good. On top of that, the pants are too low for braces, and I don't think braces are a really good choice with a tweed sportcoat in the first place. You could tighten this up nicely, but it isn't working as is.
I actually got these two myself before I read this critique. The mist begins to lift! Now to apply these lessons to myself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iammatt View Post


This is an OK try. However, there is just way too much orange, and the matchi-matchiness of it makes it look feminine. Tie, thing in the lapel, pocket square, socks and shoes. Pick one or two.
At last. An explanation of why matchiness is bad.

Thanks matt.
post #12476 of 78723
Suit & tie - BB
Shirt - Lewin
Cufflinks - New & Lingwood
Shoes - Heschung, via Barney's

IMGP1130431x1280.jpg
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

IMGP1131673x1280.jpg

IMGP11271021x1280.jpg

IMGP1128895x1280.jpg
post #12477 of 78723
todays fit...no tie, no jacket.
700
spoopose
226
shoes
525

Shirt by Kiton, trousers are old BB, prada belt, sutor double monks, radiomir watch. smellin like TF Tuscan Leather again.
post #12478 of 78723
8731369.jpg
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
8731371.jpg

8731372.jpg

8731373.jpg

8731374.jpg
Opel Ascona C sedan(4d) -86

Edited by JMasa - 9/21/11 at 8:15am
post #12479 of 78723
Opel for the win.
post #12480 of 78723
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMasa View Post

8731369.jpg

this belongs in casual - but nice look.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III