or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › My new holy grail watch
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

My new holy grail watch - Page 3

post #31 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFX45 View Post
Does it show the bare bone metal with the scratch?

I can't remember for sure. I can ask him but I'm pretty sure it does show through from a deep scratch. He said it didn't bother him too much but that's because his cousin lent it to him a while ago and never asked for it back so he essentially got it for free.

-LR
post #32 of 68
Yeah that is my biggest worry. I was actually considering getting a used Mark XVI and getting it blacked out but I was worried about scratches showing the bare metal so I just got something else that is already blacked out and more resistant to scratches. I still wouldn't mind that experiment though, never seen a blacked out Mark XVI before but I think it'll look great.
post #33 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFX45 View Post
Yeah that is my biggest worry. I was actually considering getting a used Mark XVI and getting it blacked out but I was worried about scratches showing the bare metal so I just got something else that is already blacked out and more resistant to scratches. I still wouldn't mind that experiment though, never seen a blacked out Mark XVI before but I think it'll look great.

Yeah the Mark XVI could look cool blacked out, but as you already realized you would probably be disappointed when the coating started to get scratched off. What did you end up getting instead?

-LR
post #34 of 68
Got a Hublot Big Bang Classic, scratch resistant ceramic FTW!
post #35 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFX45 View Post
Got a Hublot Big Bang Classic, scratch resistant ceramic FTW!

Not as much my style, but very nice choice nonetheless. Enjoy the watch.

-LR
post #36 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljrcustom View Post
Not as much my style, but very nice choice nonetheless. Enjoy the watch.

-LR

Thanks, been enjoying it. It isn't the traditional Big Bang which are very bulky, it is more low profile and sits nicely on the wrist. I also got their gummy croc strap for it, takes the watch to a whole new level.
post #37 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by robinsongreen68 View Post
a guy i work with has a project x, its not so great really, just looks like a novelty. much prefer my nice wabi'd tritium 5513, classic design. i do like the subs on those natos though, must try that for summer.
+1 probably my next watch purchase. might have to go on another clothing hiatus for this one...
post #38 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFX45 View Post
How can you like the TopGun and hate how this one looks? It's practically the same watch minus a few small details. I actually prefer this because the dial is less crowded than the TopGun.

And if you knew all of those, then why ask the question why someone would do it?

I can't wear a 44mm watch, if I wanted a blacked out 3717 (or TopGun-esque watch, then that is the way to go. I could get a used 3717 for less than $3k and get it DLCed and have a practically new watch. Or what if I just don't want a huge TopGun logo engraved on the side of my watch? Or I don't like the 3 numeral date-wheel on the TopGun? There are plenty of reasons to do it if the TopGun isn't an option.

I don't like the Top Gun, it was an observation that it just looked like a top gun when blacked out and as I said I think it ruins it as I like the original better.

As you say the top gun logos are a deal breaker either you like them or you don't.
post #39 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianVarick View Post
I like this one a lot better.


+1
post #40 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFX45 View Post
Eh, it's not produced by Rolex so it voids every warranty Rolex offers. You can buy any Rolex and have any PVD company black it out and probably for a lot less mark-up, this one isn't that impressive to begin with. Easy pass.
I believe the standard Rolex warranty is only 2 years and only to the original registered owner. Most, if not all, of the reputable special mark up companies provide a replacement warranty that covers you just as the Rolex warranty did. The movement typically isn't harmed in any manner and the replacement warranty also covers the new finish. Much different than taking it to a PVD company that doesn't specialize in watches, or for that matter, Rolex. So I say - if you like it, have at it...
post #41 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by vespajg View Post
I believe the standard Rolex warranty is only 2 years and only to the original registered owner.

Most, if not all, of the reputable special mark up companies provide a replacement warranty that covers you just as the Rolex warranty did. The movement typically isn't harmed in any manner and the replacement warranty also covers the new finish. Much different than taking it to a PVD company that doesn't specialize in watches, or for that matter, Rolex. So I say - if you like it, have at it...

If the movement were ETA, I wouldn't mind any regular watch repairman working on it but on an in-house movement such as Rolexes (although it is so mass produced people doesn't consider it in-house, but it still has its intricateness) then I wouldn't let just anyone outside of an authorized Rolex service representative handle it. For all we know, these grey market e-store just sends the warranty work to some mall watch service booth.
post #42 of 68
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren G. View Post
+1
probably my next watch purchase. might have to go on another clothing hiatus for this one...


this is very nice.

its sad being the unemployed university undergraduate seeing all these people with rolexs.
post #43 of 68
Not feeling it. The black tricked out Milgauss LV however is bad ass.
post #44 of 68
Loving this. Wish I could afford it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFX45 View Post
ABC Watchwerks in CA comes recommended by a few satisfied customers. They blacked out this IWC 3717:
post #45 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by leeFX View Post
Loving this. Wish I could afford it.

My pick for favorite stealth. This one came before all that Top Gun nonsense.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › My new holy grail watch