or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Business, Careers & Education › Quit soul-sucking job ASAP?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Quit soul-sucking job ASAP? - Page 2

post #16 of 42
You sound like me 2 years ago. I quit, only because an old friend offered me a position immediately. But that position was also completely opposite of what I would like to do. I am only now getting out of this and into a job that somewhat goes my direction.

There is no moral to my post. Just saying shit sucks.
post #17 of 42
If, as you say, you had nothing to do last week at work, I don't see what the problem is.
post #18 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by imageWIS View Post
And the reason for this is...?
Are you serious?
post #19 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connemara View Post
Are you serious?

Yes.
post #20 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slopho View Post
Because you're more marketable. Studies have shown that the people finding new work during this current recession have been the people who were already employed. It shows that you are of value and that the company didn't just dump you at the first sign of trouble.

The 'studies' must based on a very slim caveat of people looking for work in the same industry and in a similar type of position. Switch industries and / or postions and the concept seems to go out the window... especially in this economy. Do have urls the studies?
post #21 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by scientific View Post
I'm actually surprised I haven't been laid off from current job because project flow has dried up so much that I literally had nothing to do last week.

You should have spent the time working on your resume and searching for new work.
post #22 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by aphextwin07 View Post
i think your situation is pretty common, and work will always suck unless you're working for yourself.

even then, it sucks.
post #23 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by imageWIS View Post
The 'studies' must based on a very slim caveat of people looking for work in the same industry and in a similar type of position. Switch industries and / or postions and the concept seems to go out the window... especially in this economy. Do have urls the studies?

can't tell if you're trolling or just inexperienced, but this same topic was in the news in the past week.


Quote:
Originally Posted by grundletaint View Post
even then, it sucks.

perhaps so, but at least you could be doing something with your time that at least seems fulfilling. who am i trying to fool though, work sucks. i need to hatch a get-rich-quick scheme.
post #24 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slopho View Post
Because you're more marketable. Studies have shown that the people finding new work during this current recession have been the people who were already employed. It shows that you are of value and that the company didn't just dump you at the first sign of trouble.

I disagree entirely with the bolded. Many people of value were laid off and have had trouble finding work because stupid people believe such nonsensical things like the bolded.

The shit I hear coming out of HR makes me want to smack them. Finding good candidates is nearly impossible right now because of all of HRs little rules excluding everyone.
post #25 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milpool View Post
I disagree entirely with the bolded. Many people of value were laid off and have had trouble finding work because stupid people believe such nonsensical things like the bolded.

The shit I hear coming out of HR makes me want to smack them. Finding good candidates is nearly impossible right now because of all of HRs little rules excluding everyone.

Everyone is valuable, but not everyone is essential. Don't kill the messanger.
post #26 of 42
It is also my perception that work is easier to find when you are already employed.

Here's what I did.

I'm still employed at the soul sucker, but I partnered up with some people to open up a buy/sell/trade ("recycled fashion") store on the side as a fun and rewarding project.
post #27 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by grundletaint View Post
even then, it sucks.

Moral of the story?

Win the lottery.
post #28 of 42
pretty much.... the grass is brown on both sides.
post #29 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milpool View Post
I disagree entirely with the bolded. Many people of value were laid off and have had trouble finding work because stupid people believe such nonsensical things like the bolded.

The shit I hear coming out of HR makes me want to smack them. Finding good candidates is nearly impossible right now because of all of HRs little rules excluding everyone.

This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slopho View Post
Everyone is valuable, but not everyone is essential. Don't kill the messanger.

No. Not everyone is valuable and even 'essential' positions have been eliminated and the work redistributed among other workers.
post #30 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by imageWIS View Post
This.



No. Not everyone is valuable and even 'essential' positions have been eliminated and the work redistributed among other workers.

Then the position wasn't "essential".
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Business, Careers & Education
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Business, Careers & Education › Quit soul-sucking job ASAP?