or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › How could a pair loafer retail for $1400?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

How could a pair loafer retail for $1400?

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 
http://www.bluefly.com/pages....8785064
post #2 of 13
You've got me. Maybe if the shoe were hand-welted and had extensive hand stitching on the upper, it wouldn't be entirely unreasonable, but there's nothing out of the ordinary about that shoe.
post #3 of 13
In the October 2003 issue of Robb Report, there was an article on reversible clothing. They showed a $6,000 pair of reversible crocodile loafers from Silvano Lattanzi. Perhaps you could justify paying this price by saying you are really getting 2 pairs of loafers for your $6,000
post #4 of 13
Quote:
They showed a $6,000 pair of reversible crocodile loafers from Silvano Lattanzi.
The mind boggles. How can a pair of shoes be reversible and turned inside out like an overcoat? A pair of rubber galoshes, maybe, but street shoes? Anyone got a picture to post here? Just curious.
post #5 of 13
Quote:
You've got me. Maybe if the shoe were hand-welted and had extensive hand stitching on the upper, it wouldn't be entirely unreasonable, but there's nothing out of the ordinary about that shoe.
I'm a big fan of A. Testoni, but I have to admit, I was surprised to see a price that high. Maybe the buckles are 24K gold? Never seen that before, but just thinking out loud...
post #6 of 13
They're actually monk straps, and perhaps they've overstated the retail a bit to make the discount seem higher. Testoni does have some hand made shoes that retail in that range.... The ones with more machine work sell for $500-1,000.
post #7 of 13
Thread Starter 
Steve, I think those are loafers with faux monk straps. About Testoni's quality, I remember A. Harris mentioned that C&J actually make better shoes. How does C&J handgrade compare to Testoni's highest tier of quality? And how would it compare with Edward Green, which oxxfords cost about 40% lower than that $1400 price?
post #8 of 13
They are nice looking shoes, though.
post #9 of 13
The Lattanzi's at BG were retailing at 1800, I think they're on sale for "only" 1200 now....
post #10 of 13
If they are made out of leather I don't get it... for crocodile I might see it - after I wrestle a croc for his hide I'd charge a fortune... must have been one mean cow to have $1400 hide.
post #11 of 13
Originally posted by FCS:
Quote:
How does C&J handgrade compare to Testoni's highest tier of quality? And how would it compare with Edward Green, which oxxfords cost about 40% lower than that $1400 price?
Comparing C&J to Testoni's norwegians is like comparing apples to oranges (to me at least) because one shoe is much more casual due to the stitchings. But quality wise, I believe that Testonis are better finished. But when comparing the finishing and polishing to EGs, EGs are better. You pay a premium for the name and the additional work on the stitchings.
post #12 of 13
A.testoni is one of the better Italian factories, but this shoe never retailed for more than half the price they claim.
post #13 of 13
Quote:
The Lattanzi's at BG were retailing at 1800, I think they're on sale for "only" 1200 now....
I think the originally price on the penny-loafer was $2,600.... By the way, does Testoni offer custom? I think the black-labelled Testoni goes for about US$700+.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › How could a pair loafer retail for $1400?