• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why tailors on the row love so much heavier fabrics?

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My last suit was from Cifonelli and it was a 11/12 oz.

When I went to Huntsman with a sample of Fox worsted flannel 330 grm/11 oz , David Ward advised me it was too loght for a great 3 piece suit...

As I also like the Premier Cru book , am I right to insist having lighter fabrics or go for the Smiths Book?

Merlino

Reaction score
Could be the English are used to wearing heavier fabrics due to their weather conditions and the tailors have grown accustomed to working with heavier fabrics to the point that they feel less comfortable working with lighter fabrics.

jefferyd

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Because they are easier to work with.

Personally, I think 11 oz is the sweet spot.

Kuro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lasbar

When I went to Huntsman with a sample of Fox worsted flannel 330 grm/11 oz , David Ward advised me it was too loght for a great 3 piece suit...

As I also like the Premier Cru book , am I right to insist having lighter fabrics or go for the Smiths Book?

lasbar,

smiths has a 10/11 book - blue riband. i'm going to use it for my order with cifo.

i just looked at it side-by-side with the premier cru book yesterday and the smiths seemed just a touch more robust (the harrisons was slightly lighter and softer in feel), but just a nice. also, at the next weight class i compared the smiths botany to the harrisons fine classics and preferred the smiths there as well.

some photos at the link of a 3 piece suit in smiths blue riband (click to zoom): http://executive.at.webry.info/200811/article_1.html

i don't have any garments from either smiths or harrisons so this is just my noob opinion fwiw...

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

I think it has more to do with the flannel - English tailors love heavier flannels. I have a suit in progress from the same Fox 11oz., and my English tailored murmured that, while the cloth was good, a 13-14oz. flannel from Fox or Minnis would have been 'spectacular.'

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Easier to handle, easier to sew, easier to shape, easier to press, will wrinkle less. Will cover up sloppy work by the weight.
Flannels get worse as they get lighter. They loose stability and body. Over 16 ounce they get blanket like.
Agree with J that. 11 is ideal.

pabloj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jefferyd
Because they are easier to work with.

Personally, I think 11 oz is the sweet spot.

My tailor told me the same when I gave him the JG Hardy linen

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley
I think it has more to do with the flannel - English tailors love heavier flannels. I have a suit in progress from the same Fox 11oz., and my English tailored murmured that, while the cloth was good, a 13-14oz. flannel from Fox or Minnis would have been 'spectacular.'

I love the Fox 330 grms worsted flannel in solid navy...

It is just perfect...

The Botany book is ok and I will have a look at the Blue Riband with Lorenzo.

I have seen at Cifonelli a great Schofield&Smith 11 oz...

It is a beautiful fabric but I have never seen one of their fabrics before...

Anyone with experience of that mill?

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Have a few Schofield&Smith books but rarely use them. It is decent cloth.

Just delivered 3 from the Premier Cru book. The charcoal and navy irregularly spaced herringbones at the top of the book and a smallish black/white glen plaid with a red/maroon outline on the plaid. It made up/looked fantastic as a suit.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Despos
Have a few Schofield&Smith books but rarely use them. It is decent cloth.

Just delivered 3 from the Premier Cru book. The charcoal and navy irregularly spaced herringbones at the top of the book and a smallish black/white glen plaid with a red/maroon outline on the plaid. It made up/looked fantastic as a suit.

I have heard mixed reports from Manton on the Premier cru book.

It is going to be a 3 piece suit and I don't want to finish sweating like a pig everywhere i go...

The Schofield is lovely too.

The Fox looks a bit too fragile but I love the dark blue worsted 11oz.

I'm looking for a dark blue and not a navy...

Kuro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
is probably better that i'm not in paris or i'd bankrupt what with cifo, charvet, camps, corthay, delos, gomez...
ffffuuuu.gif

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Remember ... Savile Row is about bespoke.

Certainly listen to your tailor's advice and consider what he is saying ... but ultimately it's about getting what you want.

BTW, go to Richard!

Geezer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
Remember ... Savile Row is about bespoke.

Certainly listen to your tailor's advice and consider what he is saying ... but ultimately it's about getting what you want.

BTW, go to Richard!

I would relish hearing anything about Richard Anderson compared with his former house. Especially as I am considering the former for my return to the Row.

But it's a difficult one isn't it? Bespoke is a negotiation. Tailors all have a comfort zone - whether on cut, or cloth. Sometimes it's venal (lower margins on a particular cloth), or personal (they know what they think is best and how many clueless clients have they had with silly ideas?). I left one a long time ago because he clearly thought he knew better than I did what I wanted, and he was wrong. But how far should you take your tailor towards the edge of his comfort zone without deciding that both you and he would be happier people if you went somewhere else instead?

That said, although I tend to heavier cloths, objecting to 11/12 for a 3-piece is a bit odd in this day and age.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads