• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Street Style(?) at SXSW

Lane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
this country is so culturally devoid, its pretty awful going through these pictures.

meso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Street style is not just a bunch of people you found on the street.

pistolero

Reaction score
I was at SXSW this year, and the most prominent "style" I saw was pudgy hipsters wearing overly tight clothing.

Lane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hipsters should be gas chambered

notwithit

Pullup laureate
Reaction score
The rest of the year, fashion in Austin can be post-collegiate casual, but during SXSW, people turn it out.
If that's "turning it out", I'd be interested in seeing "not trying". With the exception of a few people who look super try-hard, everything looks more casual than post-collegiate casual. edit:
Originally Posted by Lane
hipsters should be gas chambered
Except for the cute, willowy hipster girls. If anything, we need more of them.

juliank

Reaction score
haha. terrible and funny and cringe inducing. do hipsters not exercise ? there was one person out of a 100 who looks like they might have seen a gym in the last decade. also, the style or lack of it squashes the idea that music is somehow the bastion of fashion forward aesthetics. those days are long gone.

Find Finn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
at max 4 cute girls
facepalm.gif

Saul Silver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lane
this country is so culturally devoid, its pretty awful going through these pictures.
Yes, I too wear my finest RO/Julius gothninja attire to indie rock festivals. and lol @ Aziz Ansari

pistolero

Reaction score
Originally Posted by notwithit
Except for the cute, willowy hipster girls. If anything, we need more of them.

+1000. I saw plenty of cute hipster girls walking around, but SXSW is by nature kind of a sausage fest.

Originally Posted by juliank
haha. terrible and funny and cringe inducing. do hipsters not exercise ? there was one person out of a 100 who looks like they might have seen a gym in the last decade. also, the style or lack of it squashes the idea that music is somehow the bastion of fashion forward aesthetics. those days are long gone.

Well I wouldn't consider SXSW to represent much of what is cutting edge in music for that matter. I mean, badges (all access passes) are $700 and a year or two ago there was a Harley Davidson pop-up dealership set up outside Red Eyed Fly. There's still lots of cool **** going on, but it's basically just a giant corporate music festival. Nothing more, nothing less.

Lane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
nice pot shot Saul, but I fail to see how this is "turning it out."

If our generation fashion wise can only offer ear gauzes and body tattoos paired with thrift store ****...than that's a sad state of affairs. As Juliank said, Music tended to originally be a tremendous influence for style, and now it seems to be regressive.

airportlobby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did you spend all your money? Good. Now get the **** back to Silverlake and Williamsburg.

Biscotti

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe I am a hipster?

They usually throw the best parties, and I enjoy sleeping in their apartments.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads