• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

'overdressed'

FlyingLotus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I work in an incredibley casual office - track suits, sweatpants hoodies etc. Sometimes I feel like I might look douchy wearing even a casual suit or blazer.. Anyone else in that situation, do u just say f it and wear whatever u want and awkwardly stand out?

twdawson

Reaction score
1-527.jpg

Doctor

Reaction score
I used to bother about this, but I am completely over it these days. I never get ridiculous or anything, but I certainly dress better than those around me... Even in a corporate office where suits are standard, I just up the ante and wear a cracker of a suit
wink.gif
So long as you're not getting around in a tux whilst everyone else has beach shorts on... It's no big deal. Having said that, if your clothes make you uncomfortable, change them.

yoyodunno

Reaction score
My rule of thumb is try to be the best dressed person in the room, but not by a huge margin because then you could look like a tool.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah...dress how you want!

kwoyeu

Reaction score
I give my consent! Pls call in a priest for the last rites!
keep the pants and wear in the cooler months with a shirt and v neck sweater. jacket is totaled!
+1. I covered the mid west/south east/carib/etc. Takes its toll after a while!
i don't mind at all...unless said toes are ugly!
-1. A tux requires REAL formal shoes. DON'T do it!
That makes it a fail vs a standalone device for any user! Unless you are a Berry user, no bueno!
exactly! so you still have to carry your blackberry everywhere you go! i will pass!
And the OP bought the tux. Why not spring for some proper shoes so that he will be rockin a proper outfit!

Ermac

Reaction score
Just wearing the sf uniform then. aa/raw/cp

Kiwi Man

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ter1413

I agree with this statement! I believe you should dress the way you want it. As long as it is comfortable, you should be all set!

I believe the purpose for any office to allow their employees to wear casual wear so that you guys can be comfortable in your own skin!

pickpackpockpuck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First off, it's always better to stand out because you look good than because you look like ****. Second, always dress well. Whether anyone admits it or not, people will take you more seriously as a result.

Originally Posted by FlyingLotus
I work in an incredibley casual office - track suits, sweatpants hoodies etc. Sometimes I feel like I might look douchy wearing even a casual suit or blazer.. Anyone else in that situation, do u just say f it and wear whatever u want and awkwardly stand out?

pfurey

Reaction score
Originally Posted by twdawson
1-527.jpg

sad part is the sweats here are most likely the collective worth of your entire offices clothing choices, and they wouldn't even realize, nor do they care.

danilo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by FlyingLotus

my office is like this, people wear shorts etc.

I just dress with some kind of button up shirt, tucked in, chinos, denim, some clarks or sperries.

Mr. White

Reaction score
Originally Posted by yoyodunno
My rule of thumb is try to be the best dressed person in the room, but not by a huge margin because then you could look like a tool.

Why not just dress as you deem appropriate regardless of how others dress?

SeanathonHuff

Reaction score
^^^ because we're social creatures, and we're judged in relation to others on a contextual basis...

aeglus

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. White
Why not just dress as you deem appropriate regardless of how others dress?

thats what I do and it works for me

but I'm not marsupialed and know that sometimes dressing a certain way isn't really appropriate...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads