• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How Do We Feel about Black Chinos?

J. Cogburn

Reaction score
They seem to be pretty trendy these days. Anything wrong with black chinos and a white shirt? Black chinos and a black shirt? That seems to be about all you can do with black chinos. So I guess the reall question is how do we feel about black/black and black/white looks?

And for the sake of argument, let's posit that our skin tone works with black and that we're in "hip" urban environments where black is the rule and not the exception. Let's also posit (not that we should have to, but you never know) that this look isn't for the office - even a casual office.

southbound35

Reaction score
Originally Posted by J. Cogburn
They seem to be pretty trendy these days. Anything wrong with black chinos and a white shirt? Black chinos and a black shirt? That seems to be about all you can do with black chinos. So I guess the reall question is how do we feel about black/black and black/white looks?

And for the sake of argument, let's posit that our skin tone works with black and that we're in "hip" urban environments where black is the rule and not the exception. Let's also posit (not that we should have to, but you never know) that this look isn't for the office - even a casual office.

My disdain for black trousers not withstanding, I don't like cotton chinos in dark colors. Even washing in cold/hanging to dry, dark chinos don't seem to hold their color. I don't like the look of faded black, navy, chocoate, dark olive, etc.

My disdain for black trousers withstanding, the black pant/white shirt look looks like a waiter who has taken off his tie after work.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
black trousers are worn by, waiters, buss boys, washroom attendants, and security guards.
and not by gentle men.

Lightbringer

Reaction score
I'm not a fan.

You might, of course, wear them in some sort of streetwear fashion but they have no real place as items of classical menswear. They make you look like a waiter if worn with a shirt.

J. Cogburn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by a tailor
black trousers are worn by, waiters, buss boys, washroom attendants, and security guards.
and not by gentle men.

... and by, apparently, pretty much everybody in Soho last weekend while I was staying at the Soho Grand. Good god - I was the only man wearing any color! Felt like a farmer.

J. Cogburn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lightbringer
I'm not a fan.

You might, of course, wear them in some sort of streetwear fashion but they have no real place as items of classical menswear. They make you look like a waiter if worn with a shirt.

So the trick is to wear black chinos without a shirt? I'll give that a try ....

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
... and by, apparently, pretty much everybody in Soho last weekend while I was staying at the Soho Grand. Good god - I was the only man wearing any color! Felt like a farmer.

Soho is about the last place I'd imagine people wearing black chinos.

Lightbringer

Reaction score
So the trick is to wear black chinos without a shirt? I'll give that a try ....

I mean, perhaps a t-shirt. But attempting to hedge it into the world of classical menswear is courting disaster

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Given it is fairly standard to wear a darker blazer / sportcoat than pants, black chinos or black dress pants pretty much close all options. Mind you that does not stop numerous people donning black chinos and lighter colored shirts / blazers. Black is a hard color, and needs to be cut up with other colors or stripes.

I do not mind wearing black jeans - although few if any jeans I see are jet black, usually black in jean context means off - charcoal.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hell no.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Klobber
Given it is fairly standard to wear a darker blazer / sportcoat than pants, black chinos or black dress pants pretty much close all options. Mind you that does not stop numerous people donning black chinos and lighter colored shirts / blazers. Black is a hard color, and needs to be cut up with other colors or stripes.

I do not mind wearing black jeans - although few if any jeans I see are jet black, usually black in jean context means off - charcoal.

I've seen jet black jeans. They don't stay that way.

And the result can be wonderful.

Black chinos? I don't mind dark chinos. I'm odd here in that regard. But I really can't see a use for black ones, at least in a purely MC context. A pair in a nice slimish cut, gray ringer tee, or a polo with some color and incorporating gray could work nicely. But those outfits, at least IMO, would work better with the aforementioned beat up, formerly black jeans.

bringusingoodale

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I suppose if you are young and at some art gallery opening, gig, bar or wherever the crowd will probably be wearing all kinds of "trends" so no one will give a damn about your black chinos.

That said, bartenders and waiters do usually dress in all black. This is enough for me to avoid dark colors in general when dining.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads