• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Levis 514, raw

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
For those of you who've mentioned liking the Levis 514's: unlike the Dior x Eternals, the raw Levis 514's are quite real, and not at all mythical. And they're on sale cheap. I just got them in the "Rigid Scraped" wash from Macy's for $32.50. It's listed with all the other regular washes, but the jeans are actually from the Levi's Red line (so the stitching is a bit different from the regular 514s, even if the cut is the same). They're raw with a very few weirdly-placed, small permacreases that shouldn't really affect fading at all because they're just not going to get any action where they're placed. Denim and construction are just what you'd expect from Levi's Red--mediocre--but the price can't be beat if you're a fan of the fit. Which I very much am. I don't know how I'm going to fit these into my rotation, but I'm glad I bought a pair at any rate.

jean_connoisseur23

Reaction score
glad you have found part of it.see the ones i got are RAW.no rips,no fuss and the stictching is excellent.maybe Levi's Red(the ones from japan)here are better than those there

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
ok, I've actually tried these on months ago. I forgot they had a more expensive version of the 514s called "rigid scraped'. THat's a good price Sauce, I think they were about $60 full retail when I tried them on. Those odd creases they put in turned me off and I passed, but I imagine those would prolly soak or iron out.

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
ok, I've actually tried these on months ago. I forgot they had a more expensive version of the 514s called "rigid scraped'. THat's a good price Sauce, I think they were about $60 full retail when I tried them on. Those odd creases they put in turned me off and I passed, but I imagine those would prolly soak or iron out.

Yeah, the tags have it as $68, which would be too high. For a little less than half that, they're not bad at all. At $32.50, for example, I'd rather buy these than the H&M Sliqs or the STF 501s, etc. The ones I bought have very few creases, and it looks like they'll even out after a few weeks wear. I may just try steaming them out. Just got back from the gym, but Bungee Man, I'll post pics once I get a chance to settle in and get out the camera.

theshonen8899

Reaction score
Aw...I got so excited seeing this thread...
I'm in love with the fit of my 514s *1 size big but I can grasp the figure*
I hope they start selling the raws in America 'cause I would LOVE them.
Does anyone have an idea of wut the closest fit to 514s in raw would be?

GWHiZiTSPHiL

Reaction score
hmm...really interested in these jeans. didn't know levis made other raw besides the 501 STF so i have a couple of questions.

1. do you treat this like the 501 STF as in get it in bigger sizes for shrinkage?
2. is it the same type of raw as the 501 STF? which one do you recommend?

really interested in trying these guys out.

jean_connoisseur23

Reaction score
yes,you kinda treat it like 501 STF's except that they are not selvage,unlike the 501 STF.if you want raw selvage get the 501 STF,if you want a slim cut that is raw get this

GWHiZiTSPHiL

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jean_connoisseur23
yes,you kinda treat it like 501 STF's except that they are not selvage,unlike the 501 STF.if you want raw selvage get the 501 STF,if you want a slim cut that is raw get this

selvedge isn't that important to me. i think i'd prefer the slim cut anyways.

so how should i size it? the same way as STF or should i get true to fit?

lsquare

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Saucemaster
For those of you who've mentioned liking the Levis 514's: unlike the Dior x Eternals, the raw Levis 514's are quite real, and not at all mythical. And they're on sale cheap. I just got them in the "Rigid Scraped" wash from Macy's for $32.50. It's listed with all the other regular washes, but the jeans are actually from the Levi's Red line (so the stitching is a bit different from the regular 514s, even if the cut is the same). They're raw with a very few weirdly-placed, small permacreases that shouldn't really affect fading at all because they're just not going to get any action where they're placed. Denim and construction are just what you'd expect from Levi's Red--mediocre--but the price can't be beat if you're a fan of the fit. Which I very much am. I don't know how I'm going to fit these into my rotation, but I'm glad I bought a pair at any rate.

What's the difference between their regular line and red tag line?

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GWHiZiTSPHiL
selvedge isn't that important to me. i think i'd prefer the slim cut anyways.

so how should i size it? the same way as STF or should i get true to fit?

You can get your normal size. There's no shrinkage warning on these at all, just the normal color transfer warning.

Originally Posted by Sgt_Strider
What's the difference between their regular line and red tag line?

The red line is kind of their middling denim. A little more expensive than the regular line, but not "premium" like the Capital E line (or LVC).

GWHiZiTSPHiL

Reaction score
are these worth it? i'm currently working on some slim jim dry japans that i'm trying to wear really hard for a month. should i buy this or can it wait, or is it even necessary?

jean_connoisseur23

Reaction score
if you manage to get it at say $32-$40 its a good price but i do not suggest buying it at retail($68)

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GWHiZiTSPHiL
are these worth it? i'm currently working on some slim jim dry japans that i'm trying to wear really hard for a month. should i buy this or can it wait, or is it even necessary?

I wouldn't drop the SJs for 'em. Give those all your love for a while. If you like the fit and want these hanging around as a backup pair to work into rotation, then sure; if you're thinking of them as a primary pair, then I'd say you've already got that in your Nudies.

knucks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
it can wait or is not even necessary.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads