or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › suspenders with a tux?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

suspenders with a tux? - Page 4

post #46 of 75
Thread Starter 
I put everything on last night after class to see the whole package. Definitely looks clean as hell. I tried to take a picture, but nothing came out well. I'll ask the girl to take a picture tomorrow night before we go to the wedding. When she stops laughing, hopefully she will take a good pic that I can put up for you guys. Thanks for the help!
post #47 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLibourel View Post
For all the forum groupthink against notch-lapel tuxedos, they do have a perfectly respectable pedigree, going back at least as far as the first decade of the 20th century. It is betraying an ignorance of sartorial tradition to say that it is a "suit" or otherwise improper. That said, I still wouldn't want one.

I too would add that a highly polished captoe shoe like the PA is an acceptable if not first-rate choice for black tie.

I would further give my assent to the statement that the OP is going to be very well turned out.

I seem to recall that James Bond did wear a cummerbund in some of the early Sean Connery films, but I could be mistaken.

Finally someone is making sense, OP you'll be well turned out in spite of a few things that aren't entirely conservative.

Enjoy the braces, but make certain you're getting formal braces and also make sure they're black or white, not colorful.
post #48 of 75
Go for it Bro! I think suspenders with a Tux is completely innovative way to stand out from everyone in the wedding. A mans at his best in a tux. Period. It's a classic and something more men should wear formal and casual wise...Hope this helped!
http://urbanaesthetics.tumblr.com/
post #49 of 75
Personally, I can't stand patent or opera pumps. Velvet slippers, fine, but not the best for a true formal affair. Personally I prefer something like this:

http://www.barneys.com/Five-Eye-Balm...efault,pd.html

or

http://www.barneys.com/Whole-Cut-Ven...efault,pd.html

High-polish, very sleek and plain but not plasticy looking like patent.
post #50 of 75
We have an Edward green made for RLPL shoe that I like for tuxedos called the Eden II. I've sold it to some of my best dressed clients for formal events.

I like velvet slippers but I fully accept that they're a little out-there and far past eccentric. Embroidered with your own monogram only, no goofy company logos.
post #51 of 75
Thread Starter 
2 problems with the shoes from Barney's and RLPL

1 - I have wide feet (12E on brannock), with a regular heel and higher instep
2 - EG is way too expensive for me at this point in my life. Barneys shoes were in line regarding price, but i would rather get something more versatile that can be used for multiple situations (hence buying the most boring shoe out there, the Park Ave)
post #52 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianiceman View Post
Get Matt S back in here. Bond is often upheld as a standard for black tie. Most would agree he didn't get it right every time but even given the need to bend somewhat to the whims of the current fashion he's done pretty well over more than 40 years and in that time has never been seen in a cummerbund, and only a waistcoat or a DB maybe twice each.

For me a cummerbund is just one pointless accessory too much, so if you really don't like it don't bother. Like some of the other finer details, you will only be sniffed at by a tiny minority of SFers and will still outshine all the plebs in Al's Formal rentals!

Bond has worn more peak lapel dinner jackets than anything else. But rarely has he worn a waist covering. Occasionally a cummerbund and twice a waistcoat. In the last film he wore a cummerbund. Going without a cummerbund or waistcoat is not something I approve of, no matter how much I like Bond's clothing. Five times he wore a double-breasted dinner jacket, which doesn't need a separate waist covering. If you don't want to wear a cummerbund or proper low-cut waistcoat (which can be hard to find) get a double-breasted dinner jacket.
post #53 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by marg View Post
2 problems with the shoes from Barney's and RLPL

1 - I have wide feet (12E on brannock), with a regular heel and higher instep
2 - EG is way too expensive for me at this point in my life. Barneys shoes were in line regarding price, but i would rather get something more versatile that can be used for multiple situations (hence buying the most boring shoe out there, the Park Ave)

Most wont notice and honestly there are far worse things people will be passing off as formal wear.
post #54 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by marg View Post
2 problems with the shoes from Barney's and RLPL

1 - I have wide feet (12E on brannock), with a regular heel and higher instep
2 - EG is way too expensive for me at this point in my life. Barneys shoes were in line regarding price, but i would rather get something more versatile that can be used for multiple situations (hence buying the most boring shoe out there, the Park Ave)

I'd wear either of the BNY shoes for things other than formal, but would likely limit their use to keep them in as good condition as possible. This one from them might better suit you, since it appears a bit wider:

http://www.barneys.com/Plain-Toe-Blu...efault,pd.html
post #55 of 75
If this fits you, buy this and return what you got ASAP. $900. http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/,...o-For-Men.html
post #56 of 75
They are preferable but if you were fitted without them then don't wear them for their own sake.
post #57 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbbuff View Post
If this fits you, buy this and return what you got ASAP. $900.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/,...o-For-Men.html

That's one hell of a tux at one hell of a price. Actually glad that they don't have a size remotely close to mine or else I'd be wishing I waited for that one!
post #58 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimelesStyle View Post
Personally, I can't stand patent or opera pumps. Velvet slippers, fine, but not the best for a true formal affair. Personally I prefer something like this:

http://www.barneys.com/Five-Eye-Balm...efault,pd.html

or

http://www.barneys.com/Whole-Cut-Ven...efault,pd.html

High-polish, very sleek and plain but not plasticy looking like patent.

Those shoes are for pussys that are too scared to actually dress in proper attire.
post #59 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaoloM View Post
Those shoes are for pussys that are too scared to actually dress in proper attire.

You know nothing. Least of all how to spell pussies.
post #60 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by marg View Post
I put everything on last night after class to see the whole package. Definitely looks clean as hell. I tried to take a picture, but nothing came out well. I'll ask the girl to take a picture tomorrow night before we go to the wedding. When she stops laughing, hopefully she will take a good pic that I can put up for you guys. Thanks for the help!

hey just reading this thread , i own a pair the same as bond wore in casino royale white morie and would highly recommend them. Do you have pics of outfit yet?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › suspenders with a tux?