• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pls critique my 1st bespoke suit

nilfire77

Reaction score
front.jpg
back.jpg
side.jpg
Suit is fully-canvassed and fabric is navy blue Zegna Trofeo. p/s: Pardon the creases, suit could've used some steaming.

Eustace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Usually these threads are a nightmare but yours is good. My preference is for sidevents and it appears that the button is pulling a touch but otherwise great fit. Congrats on the purchase.

Fred G. Unn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are the shoulders just a bit too wide? It's hard to tell from the pics. Otherwise, nice suit! Are you going to let us know who made it?

TheBurnOut

Reaction score
I very much like the center vent- it is classic Americana and I think far less trendy than side vents.

That's not to say I;m not a fan of side vents, though.

Looks great.

Maker? Cloth?

nilfire77

Reaction score
Thanks for the comments. Suit is by Iris Tailor of Singapore and cloth is a Zegna Trofeo.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Suit looks good for first attempt at bespoke. Very good. Quite a change from the various other diasters that we have been accustomed to look for.

Originally Posted by Fred G. Unn
Are the shoulders just a bit too wide? It's hard to tell from the pics. Otherwise, nice suit! Are you going to let us know who made it?

ffffuuuu.gif
facepalm.gif
facepalm.gif

Standard critique line for a noob
sarcasm.gif

Originally Posted by nilfire77
Thanks for the comments. Suit is by Iris Tailor of Singapore and cloth is a Zegna Trofeo.

There was another forumite who has used Iris Tailor with good result.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah, this is pretty damned nice. The back is great - nice and clean.

I think you could do with a little more room in the waist; I think it's pulling a bit and it's causing the lapels to belly out a little.

It appears you might have a slightly dropped right shoulder and I'm not sure they accounted for that all that well.

But still, 95%. A solid A.

Lightbringer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
Yeah, this is pretty damned nice. The back is great - nice and clean.

I think you could do with a little more room in the waist; I think it's pulling a bit and it's causing the lapels to belly out a little.

It appears you might have a slightly dropped right shoulder and I'm not sure they accounted for that all that well.

But still, 95%. A solid A.

It looks good, but I'll second that there's a shade more waist suppression than I like. That said that Iris tailor seems to add more waist suppression than I like for most of the suits I've seen and in my personal experience.

This makes me excited though! I am traveling back to Singapore for a week and can't wait to fire off my latest commissions with Iris once I return.

Icehawk

Reaction score
I think it looks pretty nice overall - but is the point where the lapels meet a bit off? The left side seems rolled quite a bit farther than the right - it feel to me like the right lapel's roll should go just a bit lower.

nilfire77

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Icehawk
I think it looks pretty nice overall - but is the point where the lapels meet a bit off? The left side seems rolled quite a bit farther than the right - it feel to me like the right lapel's roll should go just a bit lower.
Perhaps this 'illusion' could've been caused by the askew-ed position of my tie?

Fred G. Unn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
ffffuuuu.gif
facepalm.gif
facepalm.gif

Standard critique line for a noob
sarcasm.gif

Well are they or aren't they? They look a bit wide and from the back there is fabric bunching up under both armpits. The fabric bunching could be from the cut there, could be the jacket needs steamed, or could be shoulders are too wide. My hunch is that if the shoulders were slightly narrower the fabric bunching would be gone.

Kiwi Man

Reaction score
I like how the suits fit on you as well. Everything seems to fit pretty nicely.

yeeth

Reaction score
wow.
hmmm is it just me or is there something a little off about your left (right in the pic) shoulder? doesnt look as straight as the other side...

CaymanS

Reaction score
The back is surprisingly neat and clean. Well-shaped lower back, no ripples up top and no pulling on the vent that I can discern. Like others, I prefer double-vented, but this is an example of a well-executed single vent.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads