or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › positive b. nelson experiences
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

positive b. nelson experiences - Page 2

post #16 of 63

They offer a full recraft. Be wary. The new corking that they inserted in my left shoe is lumpy, in particular near the ball of my foot. It's made walking somewhat uncomfortable.

post #17 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPowers View Post

They offer a full recraft. Be wary. The new corking that they inserted in my left shoe is lumpy, in particular near the ball of my foot. It's made walking somewhat uncomfortable.

Come off it. This reads like a yelp review. It's a cobbler shop, not the nexus of perennially perfect shoe repair. Just talk to him about it and report back.
post #18 of 63
Here's a review of my experience with Nick and B. Nelson on an old pair of EGs for Paul Stuart last year. Great job. Only quibble is that I would have preferred that the heel dimensions remain the same after the recraft - but overall the sole and toe tap came out great.

http://uptowndandy.blogspot.com/2011/05/trip-to-b-nelson-with-my-vintage-edward.html
post #19 of 63

I will not talk to him. Nor will I go back to him. He butchered the job and when it comes to Alden's, expecially at a repair price around $100, it's one strike and you're out. The local cobbler in SoHo wear I live did a better job on AEs I brought to him earlier this winter. He's won my business. If anyone is interested, his shop is on the corner of Sullivan and Prince.

 

As for the comparison to Yelp...uhhh, yeah? This is a user review site. So is Yelp. Little wonder reviews on one sound like reviews on the other.

post #20 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPowers View Post

I will not talk to him. Nor will I go back to him. He butchered the job and when it comes to Alden's, expecially at a repair price around $100, it's one strike and you're out. The local cobbler in SoHo wear I live did a better job on AEs I brought to him earlier this winter. He's won my business. If anyone is interested, his shop is on the corner of Sullivan and Prince.

As for the comparison to Yelp...uhhh, yeah? This is a user review site. So is Yelp. Little wonder reviews on one sound like reviews on the other.

You know what? Thank you. Thank you for staying away from B. Nelson. I don't really need a cheap pair of Alden shoes ahead of my Lobb Prestige shoes anyway.

icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
post #21 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samovar McGee View Post

Come off it. This reads like a yelp review. It's a cobbler shop, not the nexus of perennially perfect shoe repair. Just talk to him about it and report back.
post #22 of 63

I'm glad I could speed up the repair process for your second-hand Lobb Prestige shoes.

 

post #23 of 63
I sent nick my RL darlon cordovan loafers. He did a fine job on the re-sole with redenbachs and metal taps.

Does anyone know if he can replace the insoles on shoes hat have a half in-sole. I would have liked them done as well, but I did not specify at the time.

I would not hesitate to recommend his service.
post #24 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPowers View Post

I'm glad I could speed up the repair process for your second-hand Lobb Prestige shoes.

second-hand Lobbs > new Alden's

Obviously, you are somebody's sock. I find it hard to believe that you joined styleforum and immediately began posting in this thread, sock. Hell, all of your posts have been in this thread, sock.
post #25 of 63
Just got my C&Js back. They look great.
post #26 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba View Post

I sent nick my RL darlon cordovan loafers. He did a fine job on the re-sole with redenbachs and metal taps.
Does anyone know if he can replace the insoles on shoes hat have a half in-sole.

I believe, you mean the 'sock'. the insole liner.
That can be easily replaced (also with a full-length one, if that is what you want).
post #27 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by bengal-stripe View Post

I believe, you mean the 'sock'. the insole liner.
That can be easily replaced (also with a full-length one, if that is what you want).

3 types:
A heel seat. Approx. 3 1/2 inches long.
A 3/4. Goes from the back of your heel, stops just short of the metatarsal area.
Full length. Heel to toe.

We replace them as needed.
If they're good and you want them replaced there's a charge for that. We use kid skin. My supplier's tell me I'm crazy for using kid for liners. To me, it looks and feels great.

We specialize in re-crafting high end footwear. I consider Alden's to be mid/high end.

I'll admit, we are not perfect. I'll also stand behind this, if you have a legitimate complaint, let me know. I'll make sure it gets corrected.
I'm very approachable..
post #28 of 63
Can't say fairer than that!
post #29 of 63
I just want to add my experience here. I sent a pair of John Lobb bespoke and a pair of C&J / PRL cigar shell PTBs to Nick with instructions to call me before working on them. Nick called and thoroughly briefed me on on what my options were, as well as making recommendations for the ideal results. I opted for a full recraft on both, with JR soles.

Both pairs came back in much better condition. I was particularly impressed with the work he did on the Lobbs, which needed his expertise.

I will definitely be doing business with Nick again!
post #30 of 63
I just had a pair of AE Graysons (shells) resoled by B. Nelson's. The resole job was fine.
However...when I went to give the shoes a brush down, I discovered some kind of shoe cream applied thoroughly all over! baldy[1].gif
I had to spend a good amount of time cleaning that stuff off and I'm not sure it's all completely off yet. I'll go over the shoes again in the next few days.
I probably should have taken a closer look before leaving the store but needless to say this is pretty disappointing. That said, I'm sure Nick had nothing to do with this - probably just someone who wasn't familiar with shell cordovans.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › positive b. nelson experiences