• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pet hates

rmanoj

Reaction score
There was a similar thread recently, but that was mostly about trends on SF. This one has a broader scope (probably too broad...): what objects or features that are generally considered to fall in the spectrum of "classic style" do you, personally, despise (not just "I wouldn't wear it myself" - you have to hate the look on other people too)? I'll list a few of my own:

1. Ostentatious watches. I can't stand wristwatches unless they're on a plain leather strap and have very few special features.
2. Black derby shoes with more than two eyelets and no broguing. Just wear an Oxford ffs.
3. Ankles on show when wearing long trousers. I loathe the no socks/ loafer socks look.
4. True 3-roll-2 coats. I can appreciate the appeal of the 3-roll-2.5, but not this. It strikes me as a fairly pointless affectation.
5. Pleated trousers worn with a body coat. You can't apply the '30s aesthetic to everything. Slim, flat-front trousers complement a coat with a waist seam much better,

sellahi22

Reaction score
I agree with all 5 of these points
fistbump.gif

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
crappy pet hate lists

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
- That picture of Spoo in his grey suit.
- Spoo in general.

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pvrhye
Came into this thread with a response about cat-based damage to my clothing. Evidently it isn't what I imagine.

Me too. My pet moths are the worst. If only they weren't so damn cute.

westinghouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
People who call clothing "flimsy".

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agreed on the bare ankles look. Unless it's summer and you're wearing leather sandals, don't. Having your foot fully covered and your leg fully covered but nothing on the ankle just makes it look like you're traveling and forgot to pack socks. No socks with shorts and a full shoe works, no socks with a sandal and pants can work. Pants with little miniature logos. I don't care how cute you think the skulls and crossbars are- they don't look good on pants. Hell, they don't look good on anything, except a tie or something like that. Pocket square, perhaps. Thankfully those are confined to prep, and very few actually wear them. The majority of crewneck sweaters worn with a shirt and tie. The round collar does not play nicely with the shirt collar (and tie) visually. Sorry, but you need to buy a v neck. It frames the shirt, tie, collar and face much, much better. Penny loafers with overly structured vamps and extended toes. If it has a stiffened toe, it's an abomination in the eyes of the lord. And I do very much like penny loafers otherwise, and argue for their inclusion in many things. But for me, a large part of the attraction of the shoe is the lack of pretense. Stiffening up the toe and lengthening it for a very precise shape is contrary to the fundamental nature of the shoe. IMO of course. People who rigidly adhere to 'the rules' without ever thinking about the cultural contexts that spawned them. Similarly, people who think that the rules mean that anything other than charcoal or navy worsted wool are inappropriate for work or other occasions demanding a suit in general. AKA the people who think nothing but UCBD can ever be appropriate. Seersucker is still routinely worn on the floor of the United States Senate, damnit! Your ****** little firm is not more serious and important then that. [/minirant] People who dismiss entire classes of garments out of hand. Anti black suit and black shoe people, Imma lookin' at you.
Originally Posted by Working Stiff
Argyle socks
I know these are our personal opinions, but this is grounds for a felony conviction.

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Working Stiff
Argyle socks

Argyle anything...
ffffuuuu.gif
...also huge oversized wristwatches, which look like they belong on an aircraft flight deck and not on the wrist.

ThatGuy

Reaction score
This thread has potential.

My list:
- Big watches. Bonus points for those who are skinny and short who wear big watches
- Overly slim-fitted clothing. Not many people know when is it too tight and gay looking. Especially skinny guys
- Striped shirts
- French Cuffs
- Bead bracelets
- Stylish socks - mostly overdone and too try hardish IMO
- Dirty shoes
- Grunge look - trying to bring some retro into dressing
- Square-toed shoes
- Cheap leather

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads