• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fluid/dynamic/ongoing B. Nelson Experience

gyasih

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I read such wonderful things about B. Nelson, so I decided to take several pairs of shoes into get some work done. Boy, what a bad idea. I have three pair of shoes that have different levels of poor quality work.

The first pair was taken for a metal tap, the nails are too long and put a whole in my shoe. A small hole, but a hole nonetheless. The second, a pair was a my wife's Christian Louboutin's, somehow they managed to get polish on places that had no reason to have polish, and the third pair of CL's (not shown) has some black polish on the bottom, removing that looks like it will remove the red from the sole.

I am definitely not happy and will return tomorrow to have everything corrected, although I don't know if much can be done about the hole!!!!!!

Resolution

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
uhoh.gif

stant62

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've had nothing but good experiences with B. Nelson but as with any business, YMMV. I'm confident that Nick will rectify the situation.

CYstyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Should check it before leaving the premises as a habit in general of all service places, in case of any damage or something you can point it out there instead of getting home, and going back when you discovered it, also that way for sure no freak accidents have happened.

In this specific case, it would be better to have asked for the person who runs b nelson, nick v as he is pretty helpful over the forum, and see if you can work something out between you guys privately. Otherwise posts like this are bad for the reputation of small businesses and this could have been an isolated incident that could have been worked out

gyasih

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CYstyle
Should check it before leaving the premises as a habit in general of all service places, in case of any damage or something you can point it out there instead of getting home, and going back when you discovered it, also that way for sure no freak accidents have happened.

In this specific case, it would be better to have asked for the person who runs b nelson, nick v as he is pretty helpful over the forum, and see if you can work something out between you guys privately. Otherwise posts like this are bad for the reputation of small businesses and this could have been an isolated incident that could have been worked out

I am sure he is helpful on the forum, that still doesn't change the fact the $2000 worth of shoes came back to me in condition that is unacceptable for such a reputable place.

This is not to say that I won't use their services again, should they satisfactorily rectify this situation. But people should be aware of any experiences that happen at a place where members of a forum recommend, good or bad.

Originally Posted by stant62
I've had nothing but good experiences with B. Nelson but as with any business, YMMV. I'm confident that Nick will rectify the situation.

I definitely agree with YMMV. I hope so, in terms of working it out, or....

Originally Posted by JamesX
I am surprised that is Nick's work. His installation of suken toe plates on my G&G was picture perfect.

The B. Nelson you are referring to is this one?
http://www.bnelsonshoes.com/

Yes.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Is that a hole, or just a cut? It looks like just a nick, which can be covered up to the point that you will not notice it. Nick is a good guy and he will take care of everything for sure. I can understand the frustration, but I have had great experiences there. I just had a resole done and metal taps and they were just as good as MTO from a factory:

2f594b21.jpg

gyasih

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
Is that a hole, or just a cut? It looks like just a nick, which can be covered up to the point that you will not notice it. Nick is a good guy and he will take care of everything for sure. I can understand the frustration, but I have had great experiences there. I just had a resole done and metal taps and they were just as good as MTO from a factory:

It's a hole, that is the nail sticking through.

Nick wasn't in when I went in this morning, Wilfredo said he wasn't coming in. Wilfredo, the guy who probably messed up my shoes had an attitude because I was asking for Nick. I think he remembers when I brought one the CL's, shown here, to get fixed after the initial bothced repair.

Akeem

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just got back my lobbs from bnelson last week. also had the metal toe taps installed. I wasn't so happy with the work. one screw is coming through the welt. there's edge dressing on the leather on several areas. just sloppy. Nick was not there either time I was there.

Raralith

Reaction score
Holy smokes, I'm really amazed that the nail went through the shoe. I've always ground the fronts of my shoes, and was considering metal toe taps to help with this. Now I'm pretty hesitant, but I hope there's a resolution to this.

inimitable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just had metal heel and toe taps (not flush) installed to a pair of C&J's at a local cobbler in London.

They have tiny spikes to grip the leather soles and then 2 holes where you can insert nails. The cobbler used nails on the heel, but not on the toe as he said this would damage the welt. Is this right? Should nails even be used on the toe?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads