or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Fluid/dynamic/ongoing B. Nelson Experience
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Fluid/dynamic/ongoing B. Nelson Experience - Page 3

post #31 of 367
because the guy made a mistake and while things like this will happen they shouldn't....
post #32 of 367
The flush mounts for 30 isn't actually a discount. That's the normal price he charges for flush mounts.
post #33 of 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by bboysdontcryy View Post
The flush mounts for 30 isn't actually a discount. That's the normal price he charges for flush mounts.

I thought it was $35?
post #34 of 367
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiaogou View Post
OP: B. Nelson has done over 20 pairs of high end shoes for me (flush mounted taps) and I have never had any issues. That being said, I feel bad that you had a bad experience. I am confident that Nick will rectify things. Out of curiosity, why did you post this thread before Nick had an opportunity to make things right?
As I explained earlier, we have a tendency to post rave reviews or positive experiences of/with places on here. Why not post an experience that hasn't been pleasant thus far? If he rectifies it, then I will post that as well. Do you think him discounting a pair of flush mounted plates addresses the fact that a worker in the store put the wrong size nail in a tap that caused a hole in my shoe? We are human and make mistakes, this is just my experience. This is not a criticism of Nick, just the workmanship at the shop, based on this experience. He currently has other shoes of mine, that I hope will come out better.
post #35 of 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by gyasih View Post
This was metal taps, not flush mounted.
Well first, I just want to clarify that I was not criticizing Nick or B. Nelson. I was answering a question about the mechanics of toe taps/toe plates. And in that regard, I don't think that it makes a difference whether they are flush mounted or not...the issues are fundamentally the same. I might add that I have done a lot of these in my early days--that's where I developed my antipathy for them. In my opinion, it is easy to put a pair of plates on and not think hard about what is happening to the inseam and the insole, etc.. Or where the nails are going. Until you have to replace that outsole somewhere down the line. And of course the customer never knows what is hidden....or what damage has been done. Just something to think about.
post #36 of 367
FWIW, I have no experience with B. Nelson but Nick V. was responsive and helpful when I PM'ed him here. DWF - in your experience, is it difficult to make sure that nails cannot possible be longer than the material they are piercing?
post #37 of 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesX View Post
I thought it was $35?

Well, he charged me 30, but that was some time ago. Still, a 5 dollar discount for poking a hole through a shoe is, in my opinion, not really a worthy 'trade'.
post #38 of 367
That sucks, but its not going to stop me from shipping my shoes to him for flush mounts when I get around to it. I haven't seen anyone else willing/able to do it, and I've seen so many pictures of really well done ones, I can't help but write this off as a fluke. An expensive, and aggravating fluke... but everybody has an of day.

But of course, I don't have any 3k shoes at risk either... so...
post #39 of 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Moo View Post
FWIW, I have no experience with B. Nelson but Nick V. was responsive and helpful when I PM'ed him here. DWF - in your experience, is it difficult to make sure that nails cannot possible be longer than the material they are piercing?
Well, it's a little problematic...simply because you have no way of knowing exactly how thick the insole is or how much filler, if any has been used. Then too if the outsole has been worn away some you really don't know how much is there--less under some nails than others just by virtue of the way the outsole wears at the toe. But it's probably not that big a deal. Care answers all. The real issue is still where those nails go in relation to the inseam. And given that the nails need to be so short, what is often used is "threaded" or ring nail which does even more damage.
post #40 of 367
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWFII View Post
Well first, I just want to clarify that I was not criticizing Nick or B. Nelson. I was answering a question about the mechanics of toe taps/toe plates. And in that regard, I don't think that it makes a difference whether they are flush mounted or not...the issues are fundamentally the same. I might add that I have done a lot of these in my early days--that's where I developed my antipathy for them. In my opinion, it is easy to put a pair of plates on and not think hard about what is happening to the inseam and the insole, etc.. Or where the nails are going. Until you have to replace that outsole somewhere down the line. And of course the customer never knows what is hidden....or what damage has been done. Just something to think about.
Understood, I am no shoe expert. It just looks like the wrong size nail or improper angle and that shifted the nail. It's a shoe that will eventually get damaged. I would have done surface damage. A hole is another animal. I am worried about what happens when moisture gets into the hole and them you add hot and cold temps to the mix. I think I'd use their services again. They do great work, as demonstrated by others on here. How this turns out will determine that, though.
post #41 of 367
I don't get it. Maybe I just can't see the picture well enough. Is there a nail currently sticking out of your shoe or is there just a hole at this point? To my eye, it almost looks like the nail is coming out from the inside of the shoe (footbed).
post #42 of 367
I was thinking about installing metal caps but I decided to go with rubber. I do not know if metal caps are more effective but this is what glued( I guess) rubber looks like

post #43 of 367
This is the first I have gotten around to seeing this thread.
The title used by the OP, IMO shows bad intent. Only because He took the time to post before bringing the problem to my attention. The OP also was not forthcoming about our discussion today. He knows that I took the time to show and prove to him things that we were accused of doing, yet we had nothing to do with. Still, for good-will, we corrected. If he wants to explain, he can. He also knows that I suggested to Him on more than one occasion "use the flush mounted metal toe plates". Here's why, I can see how particular he is, fine. I see he enjoys wearing high-grade footwear. In that circumstance why would you to use a metal tap that you know has to get nailed on? Of course, we will do our best to rectify the complaints. This is not intended to be an attack on the OP, just a fair defense that I owe to myself. He knows....
post #44 of 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick V. View Post
This is the first I have gotten around to seeing this thread.
The title used by the OP, IMO shows bad intent. Only because He took the time to post before bringing the problem to my attention. The OP also was not forthcoming about our discussion today. He knows that I took the time to show and prove to him things that we were accused of doing, yet we had nothing to do with. Still, for good-will, we corrected. If he wants to explain, he can. He also knows that I suggested to Him on more than one occasion "use the flush mounted metal toe plates". Here's why, I can see how particular he is, fine. I see he enjoys wearing high-grade footwear. In that circumstance why would you to use a metal tap that you know has to get nailed on? Of course, we will do our best to rectify the complaints. This is not intended to be an attack on the OP, just a fair defense that I owe to myself. He knows....

nick - if you had any doubt - you should have refused to do the job...
post #45 of 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by gyasih View Post
I read such wonderful things about B. Nelson, so I decided to take several pairs of shoes into get some work done. Boy, what a bad idea. I have three pair of shoes that have different levels of poor quality work. The first pair was taken for a metal tap, the nails are too long and put a whole in my shoe. A small hole, but a hole nonetheless. The second, a pair was a my wife's Christian Louboutin's, somehow they managed to get polish on places that had no reason to have polish, and the third pair of CL's (not shown) has some black polish on the bottom, removing that looks like it will remove the red from the sole. I am definitely not happy and will return tomorrow to have everything corrected, although I don't know if much can be done about the hole!!!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick V. View Post
This is the first I have gotten around to seeing this thread. The title used by the OP, IMO shows bad intent. Only because He took the time to post before bringing the problem to my attention. The OP also was not forthcoming about our discussion today. He knows that I took the time to show and prove to him things that we were accused of doing, yet we had nothing to do with. Still, for good-will, we corrected. If he wants to explain, he can. He also knows that I suggested to Him on more than one occasion "use the flush mounted metal toe plates". Here's why, I can see how particular he is, fine. I see he enjoys wearing high-grade footwear. In that circumstance why would you to use a metal tap that you know has to get nailed on? Of course, we will do our best to rectify the complaints. This is not intended to be an attack on the OP, just a fair defense that I owe to myself. He knows....
So the hole was not caused by the metal tap and the stains on the heels? IMO, there was no bad intent (if said damages were done), i would classify under terrible experience.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Fluid/dynamic/ongoing B. Nelson Experience