or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Business, Careers & Education › The Cloud - and other disruptive Information Technology
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Cloud - and other disruptive Information Technology - Page 2

post #16 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadly7 View Post
Ah. I misread. I thought you were saying you guys use a third party Sharepoint server and I was a bit confused. Sharepoint just sounds like a glorified repository, but whatever floats your guys' boats.
git > hg >> svn > cvs >>>>>>>>>>>>>> sharepoint Sharepoint works, but it is clunky as all get out.
post #17 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by cross22 View Post
Journeyman, what kind of wiki do you guys use and how easy was it for people to learn to use it?
I've used all kinds of wiki software: DokuWiki and TWiki most recently. Of the two, DokuWiki was extremely easy for everyone to use and I actually recommend it. Working on its backend if you want to customize your template for seamless integration into your website can be brutal, but 99.99% of employees won't have to deal with that. Had no reports of people not knowing how to use DokuWiki.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenanyu View Post
git > hg >> svn > cvs >>>>>>>>>>>>>> sharepoint

Sharepoint works, but it is clunky as all get out.
I love git. I've been using it for a few months now and I'm still amazed at how seamless it is. ALSO, git can actually manage your SVN's! It's sometimes awful syntax but it gives you the branch capability of git without needing to recreate the repo.
post #18 of 43
I just don't think anyone can guess what it will be like. I do think these calls for the death of the PC are ridiculous though. PC isn't going anywhere, it's just getting cheaper. I love the iPads, iMacs, iPods, Smartphones, all these "PC Killing" apps because it enabled me to buy a laptop for 500 bucks that I would have otherwise paid 1500 for. My iPad has a bigger screen, a built in keyboard and a trackpad, and runs Windows 7. NICE
post #19 of 43
Cloud is certainly not for every organization but I am actually evaluating cloud solutions for a client that has an absolutely clueless IT department.

In that scenario, it would make perfect sense.


Does anyone here have experience in implementing cloud solutions? Or have any recommendations on who offers reliable implementation and hosting services?

Btw, the Sharepoint GIT discussionis great. Keep it going.
post #20 of 43
^Company size or budget? You want a Cadillac or a Ford?
post #21 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraiche View Post
Cloud is certainly not for every organization but I am actually evaluating cloud solutions for a client that has an absolutely clueless IT department.

In that scenario, it would make perfect sense.


Does anyone here have experience in implementing cloud solutions? Or have any recommendations on who offers reliable implementation and hosting services?

Btw, the Sharepoint GIT discussionis great. Keep it going.

What do you mean by "implementing cloud solutions"? Setting up a SaaS application? A virtual private cloud? Consuming Infrastructure as a Service to run their apps?

I've worked in the SaaS market for more than 5 years, initially at a hosting provider specializing in managed services for SaaS applications (so I've talked to or supported dozens of providers), and for the last year at a SaaS software company.

My predictions: within the decade "on premises" will be all but gone. By 2015 SaaS subscriptions will be larger in total dollars than perpetual licenses.

I think that OpSource (my former employer) has a great DIY cloud infrastructure. They also offer higher level application support than most other cloud providers or MSPs. http://www.opsource.net/Solutions/Cloud-Computing
post #22 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by cross22 View Post
^Company size or budget? You want a Cadillac or a Ford?

Small growing to midsize national retail company.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imatlas View Post
What do you mean by "implementing cloud solutions"? Setting up a SaaS application? A virtual private cloud? Consuming Infrastructure as a Service to run their apps?

I've worked in the SaaS market for more than 5 years, initially at a hosting provider specializing in managed services for SaaS applications (so I've talked to or supported dozens of providers), and for the last year at a SaaS software company.

My predictions: within the decade "on premises" will be all but gone. By 2015 SaaS subscriptions will be larger in total dollars than perpetual licenses.

I think that OpSource (my former employer) has a great DIY cloud infrastructure. They also offer higher level application support than most other cloud providers or MSPs. http://www.opsource.net/Solutions/Cloud-Computing

Would you happen to have any whitepaper literature from OpSource similar to what Amazon AWS has in pdf?

What you're talking about seems to be very close to what we're looking for.
post #23 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraiche View Post
Small growing to midsize national retail company.



Would you happen to have any whitepaper literature from OpSource similar to what Amazon AWS has in pdf?

What you're talking about seems to be very close to what we're looking for.

I don't work there anymore, but I'm sure they've got whitepapers and other collateral that will give you the info you're looking for. Give them a call.
post #24 of 43
One area that I see possibly having the biggest impact on our lives and work flow is if we ever get the true continuous client. Joshua Topolsky had a great write up on this on Engadget a little while back. While his editorial is consumer focused, you can easily see how this could aid business.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/05/26/a...inuous-client/
post #25 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by imatlas View Post
I don't work there anymore, but I'm sure they've got whitepapers and other collateral that will give you the info you're looking for. Give them a call.

Will do. Thanks for the tip.

Btw, what does DIY stand for?
post #26 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraiche View Post
Will do. Thanks for the tip.

Btw, what does DIY stand for?

Do it yourself - aka self-managed infrastructure.
post #27 of 43
I am managing the movement of 20 of our external sales people onto ........ for storage and collaboration. We currently use a shared drive and its such a pain. We currently have no full time IT person, so this should be a lot easier.
post #28 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraiche View Post
Small growing to midsize national retail company.

Opsource is considered a niche player given their roots (SaaS) which means they will be good if you fit their niche but not so great if you don't (imatlas feel free to chime in). Given the few bits of information that you provided I recommend you look at Rackspace to begin with and go from there.
post #29 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by cross22 View Post
Opsource is considered a niche player given their roots (SaaS) which means they will be good if you fit their niche but not so great if you don't (imatlas feel free to chime in). Given the few bits of information that you provided I recommend you look at Rackspace to begin with and go from there.

We're actually looking into Rackspace currently. Any experience with them?

Also, what niche is Opsource targeting?

Thanks again for the insight.
post #30 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by cross22 View Post
Opsource is considered a niche player given their roots (SaaS) which means they will be good if you fit their niche but not so great if you don't (imatlas feel free to chime in). Given the few bits of information that you provided I recommend you look at Rackspace to begin with and go from there.

I'm a little stale on my competitive intel, but I don't think that RAX ha a public cloud solution along the lines of an Amazon EC2 or OpSource Cloud Infrastructure. Both of these are for general IT outsourcing as much as for SaaS ISV's.

On the other hand, from a Colo or managed services perspective you're dead on.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Business, Careers & Education
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Business, Careers & Education › The Cloud - and other disruptive Information Technology