• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Grad School Thread

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
Since I made my decision, gonna convert this thread to a general one.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teger
But the loans would be crushing, even if I could beg, borrow and steal.

Still, you'd have an MA in English.

Personally, I'd go for the History program, but I'm biased there.

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You want to take out loans for an MA in english/history? barf.

dfagdfsh

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Concordia
Still, you'd have an MA in English.

Personally, I'd go for the History program, but I'm biased there.

Do you have an MA in History? I'm definitely considering that program, but I haven't heard back yet and I don't want to count my chickens before they've hatched.

Regardless of where I go I plan on pursuing a PhD.

dfagdfsh

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rugger
You want to take out loans for an MA in english/history? barf.

I don't have an issue taking $3,000/year in loans. I do have an issue taking $35,000/year in loans.

But School A is the type of name that really, really opens doors. And it's my dream school.

But.. as you said... the loans.

dfagdfsh

Reaction score
Originally Posted by StephenHero
Go with the one that puts you in deeper debt.

aww stephenhero, I know you love me.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
I'm serious. It shows how much you care about your education.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
When I was applying to grad school, I was looking at MA programs in political science. One of the professors who helped me out a lot told me never to attend a grad school without funding, particularly in a non-professional/terminal degree program. I effectively ended up taking his advice, given I was funded the whole time, but, even if I hadn't been funded, I probably would have gone anyway. In retrospect, however, he was 100% right, and I was lucky to have avoided learning that the hard way. It's just not worth ending up with a ton of debt, especially for an MA in something like English.

My advice to you is to take the second offer, rock it for two years, and step up a notch when the time comes to get your PhD. I know a couple of people who did this. They started in middling-to-decent MA programs, but they were among the best students in their program. When the time came to move on to a PhD program, they wound up in outstanding programs (one in the second-best program in the country for her specialization). Doing this would allow you to get the degree that counts (the PhD) from a great school, but you wouldn't have to worry about the ridiculous debt load that comes with option number one.

dfagdfsh

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrG
When I was applying to grad school, I was looking at MA programs in political science. One of the professors who helped me out a lot told me never to attend a grad school without funding, particularly in a non-professional/terminal degree program. I effectively ended up taking his advice, given I was funded the whole time, but, even if I hadn't been funded, I probably would have gone anyway. In retrospect, however, he was 100% right, and I was lucky to have avoided learning that the hard way. It's just not worth ending up with a ton of debt, especially for an MA in something like English.

My advice to you is to take the second offer, rock it for two years, and step up a notch when the time comes to get your PhD. I know a couple of people who did this. They started in middling MA programs, but they were among the best students in their program. When the time came to move on to a PhD program, they wound up in outstanding programs (one in the second-best program in the country for her specialization). Doing this would allow you to get the degree that countys (the PhD) from a great school, but you wouldn't have to worry about the ridiculous debt load that comes with option number one.

My thinking is definitely along these lines -- and I know the second choice is a good enough program that it would allow such a transition (especially with the teaching experience it comes with), but still, dream school
frown.gif

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Do you have an MA in History?
No, but every time I daydream about getting my spare time more organized, that's the sort of thing that pops up.

imschatz

Reaction score
$35,000 a year debt .. to study English? What doors would it open that would make it even possible to pay off that debt?

Assuming a 2 year program MA program .. you'll have $70,000+ in debt, and an English MA. I don't see how it would be possible to ever pay off that debt.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My thinking is definitely along these lines -- and I know the second choice is a good enough program that it would allow such a transition (especially with the teaching experience it comes with), but still, dream school
frown.gif

Yeah, the dream school part sucks. I went through something similar, so I'm sympathetic.

Look at it this way: The dream school will look a lot less dreamy through $70,000 in loans plus interest. Plus, if you're good enough to get into the MA without funding, you should be good enough to get into the PhD program fully funded after you spend the next two years killin' it in your second-choice MA program.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads