• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Touchy: Interviewing for job with just a few months on current job

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Short version: Phone interview next week for job I applied for before I started my current role. I have been in my current position since the beginning of the year. If I were offered the job I have a phone interview for next week I would take it in a freakin heart beat. It is about as good as it gets for me after getting kicked out of pilot training for an injury. Supposedly they had over 1900 applicants, are interviewing 55 people for 14 spots.

How should I handle this with regard to my current job? I like my current role and tremendously respect the people and the organization. I do not want to leave them hanging. Good news is that if I were to get the job I'l be interviewing for I wouldn't start until August/September.

Should I just not mention it whatsoever and see what comes of it? If I do get it, at what point should I bring it up?

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tell them right before the 4th of July.

tj100

Reaction score
Wait until you have an offer. Then tell your current company ASAP that you have an opportunity that you can't give up - they'll understand (assuming it's a significant upgrade to your current role).

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hombre Secreto
Tell them right before the 4th of July.

not a bad idea...

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
I guess there are two sides to this.

1. how do you tell the interviewer what you are doing now without sounding like some flaky ass whim-jumper (eg if he bailed on them after two months he'll probably do the same to us).
2. how do you tell the current employer that you are out of there after only 4-5 months.

In both cases I think I would err on the side of earnest.

On 1. "This is something that I have always wanted to do. I enjoy what I am doing now, and the people are great, and I am already learning so much, however long term it is not what I see myself doing. It's unfortunate that this opportunity came along after I had accepted my current role, and I will feel a little guilty for leaving with just a few months under my belt, but ultimately I have to do what is right for me in the long term."

On 2. as above. "I have an offer that I just cannot turn down. I applied before I was offered the role here. You guys have just been terrific to me, but I feel like this is something I need to do" and perhaps offer a suggestion as a replacement for your role if you know someone suitable.

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tj100
Wait until you have an offer. Then tell your current company ASAP that you have an opportunity that you can't give up - they'll understand (assuming it's a significant upgrade to your current role).

I wouldn't consider it an 'upgrade' but it is something I would rather be doing. No question in my mind I would leave my current role for it.

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In case anyone cares, I got the job pending security investigation. Told my boss right away. Probably wont leave until mid-August.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rugger
In case anyone cares, I got the job pending security investigation. Told my boss right away. Probably wont leave until mid-August.

Congrats! Departing the political world?

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tell me they have good(re: not gucci) shopping in vegas?

bdbb

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rugger

This is a huge mistake unless you don't mind the possibility of being unemployed for a couple months. A lot of times, showing employers the courtesy of providing a longer than 2 week notice will end up with you being dismissed prior to your desired last day.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads