• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why do you exercise?

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Apparently this question has not been asked.

So why do you spent time/money/wake up early in the morning to do all that?

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm just gonna be honest. So I look better so I can get with more girls. Also I do enjoy strength training just because its fun. I should probably switch to some hypertrophy program, but I like strength training so much more.

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Vitality and Virility. I do not use exercise for remaining fit.

Exercise is also very therapeutic for me.

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Because at 44 years old, I'd rather take a bullet in the head than to turn into the overweight, out of shape ******* turds that 99.9999% of guys my age have become....

Sunnydale

Reaction score
I lift basically because I can now. At one time I was to worn down from a GI issue to have that kind of energy.

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Scrumhalf
Because at 44 years old, I'd rather take a bullet in the head than to turn into the overweight, out of shape ******* turds that 99.9999% of guys my age have become....
For what it's worth, not exercising isn't what's causing that. There have been absolutely zero studies that link exercise to effective weight loss or maintenance. However, if it helps you remain fit, either directly or indirectly, then by all means continue.

Kajak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Exercise is still linked to not being out of shape you clown.
Because a) I'm sometimes still a competitive athlete
b) I enjoy it
c) I love being strong/faster than I was before
*way down there*
d) I like looking good.

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kajak
Exercise is still linked to not being out of shape.
I didn't say that it wasn't linked to being in or out of shape. I said that it has not been proven to be an effective way of losing weight or maintaining weight loss. Obviously, fit people exercise more than the fat, however that does not imply causation. Is exercise what's keeping them lean? Or, perhaps, is it their leanness that's keeping them exercising?

Timbaland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I train MMA (not lift weights) so mine is to relieve stress from work. There's nothing better to relieve stress than getting to punch someone else in the face.

dimshum

Reaction score
In order of importance:

1. Sense of achievement
2. Health (stress relief, increased lbm)
3. Vanity

Kajak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mm84321
I didn't say that it wasn't linked to being in or out of shape. I said that it has not been proven to be an effective way of losing weight or maintaining weight loss. Obviously, fit people exercise more than the fat, however that does not imply causation. Is exercise what's keeping them lean? Or, perhaps, is it their leanness that's keeping them exercising?

I know you like to cite some study re: carbs and insulin make us fat which makes us not exercise, which is a wonderful cop out of personal responsibility.

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kajak
I know you like to cite some study re: carbs and insulin make us fat which makes us not exercise, which is a wonderful cop out of personal responsibility.
I'm sorry, personal responsibility has nothing to do with why some people aren't exercising. I will concede that personal responsibility is somewhat to blame for what is causing the individual to not exercise, vis-Ã -vis poor dietary habits, but a great deal of that is simply a product of poor education and misinformation.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1) I feel better
2) For greater energy and stamina
3) To look fit
4) A positive activity
5) Like being out side, ridding my Mountain bike on trails, or inside at my gym and it's great facilities.
6) I had some relatives who didn't stay fit and they paid a price for it with their quality of life in later years.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Staff online

Forum statistics