or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › Why do you exercise?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Why do you exercise? - Page 7

post #91 of 138
another thing that gets me going is when at the gym you see once in awhile the girls eyeing you while you work out. big motivator. (also some ghey guys too but i dont mind. it's flattery)
post #92 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee_44106 View Post
for those claiming to be fit, are you chiseled (well defined musculature) or are you just NOT FAT?
How would you define chiseled? sub 10% body fat? If so, not quite there yet. Being chiseled however does not necessarily mean you are fit as low body fat with good muscle definition can also be obtained through diet (check "the four hour body") A friend of mine who has roughly the same physique and weight as me is just a bit stronger (8-9 reps vs my 5-6 reps bench @ 90kg), has 7-8% body fat and runs 5k in 21 min. He puts a lot of effort into diet. I am at 12-13 % body fat and put more effort into running and less into diet. I run a 18 min 5k and am well on my way to a sub hour 15k. So although he is really ripped and I am not I am a lot faster. Who would you say is 'fitter'? *edit I run because I enjoy it a LOT! outside though, through the forrest....can't run, row or do any form of cardio longer than 5 min. in a gym. The gym it self is less fum but I go with a group of friends and the competitive aspect makes up for the boring exercises. Setting yourself goals and striving to achieve them is also fun in the gym though. Oh and Im a university student and kinda 'believe' in the whole "a sane mind in a healthy body" thing.
post #93 of 138
pussy.
post #94 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazingazn View Post
pussy.

Me?
If so, why?
post #95 of 138
Every one wants a healthy and a fit body but for that it is necessary for you to do exercise.Exercise make your body strong and disease free, it also help you to make your body flexible.
post #96 of 138
1) stress relief (I exercise at lunch and the break during the day really keeps me going)
2) Health. Heart attacks, diabetes and loads of other stuff run in my family.
3) Fitness (I enjoy keeping up with my daughter when we play)
4) Ego. I enjoy looking good. Mind you, I'm not chiseled, just "not fat".
post #97 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crat View Post
...

Please stop shilling the book by Ferris, it's pretty ridiculous.
post #98 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrH View Post
Please stop shilling the book by Ferris, it's pretty ridiculous.
Well the main lines (no starch, etc) don't seem too ridiculous to me although he takes some things a bit far. Its not the health bible but its not all bullshit either. Anyway, my main point is that being chiseled is mainly a combination between diet and cardio combined with (some) weight training and that those who put more effort into their diet needn't do as much cardio and vice versa to get ripped. I also happen to know an Olympic rower who eats pasta by the pounds on a daily base; he is @ 6-7% fat. As I said earlier a friend of mine puts a s**t load of effort into his diet and is at the same body fat % as the rower and he only does cardio a few times a week at the most.
post #99 of 138
You can eat pasta by the pound if you burn 5000 calories a day as an Olympic rower or as a cyclist in the TdF.
post #100 of 138
Exactly my point...there are various ways you can get ripped. (Thorpe eats that as well if I'm not mistaken) Anyway, this guy trained 2-4 hrs a day. My critique is that being chiseled does not have to mean you are (very) fit if you use the 'diet' approach to get chiseled.
post #101 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crat View Post
Anyway, my main point is that being chiseled is mainly a combination between diet and cardio combined with (some) weight training and that those who put more effort into their diet needn't do as much cardio and vice versa to get ripped.

Yes, I agree. Obviously the more one trains, the more one can 'get away' with, concerning diet. For the average non-athlete though, this is a slippery slope. 2-4 hrs/day of specific training (weights, LISS, what have you) is pretty much reserved for those who are competitive athletes.
post #102 of 138
Yes that would be too time consuming for most people. On the other side I do believe if you actively spend only 4 hrs (not because of the book) on sport a week (eg. weights 2x1h, hiit 2x 30 min and two 30 min runs) and you REALLY focus on your diet you can also get quite ripped. Pounds of pasta will be out of the question in that case.
post #103 of 138
Society told me to look a certain way and so I do.

If it told me to look fat I would start eating donuts immediately.
post #104 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by tombrokaw View Post
Society told me to look a certain way and so I do.

If it told me to look fat I would start eating donuts immediately.

So I am right in assuming you are ripped because at the moment that is how society says we should look?
post #105 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crat View Post
So I am right in assuming you are ripped because at the moment that is how society says we should look?
Yes. I desire this appearance because it is socially acceptable and confers many advantages, most of which have been listed in this thread. I have no illusions that if society were turned on its head I would swim against the tide and still want to look ripped, etc. It is not at all convenient to keep a rigid diet and ensure that all the necessary muscle groups receive proper attention.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Health & Body
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › Why do you exercise?