• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Trend Back to Wide Legs and Flares?

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is the pendulum swinging back? The blurb below is regarding female styles for spring, but I can imagine a similar thing happening for guys. I've seen posters for flares around town (LA). From hipster to hippie? Is this the future? "Flared and wide-leg jeans are also big sellers on the boutique level; Satine's Lee says wide-leg jeans have been flying off the shelves. On spring-summer 2011 runways such as Derek Lam's, models wore wide-leg jeans with tucked-in white button-downs and chic wedge sandals. On the street we're bound to see a more relaxed version of the look, with women wearing bell bottom-style jeans with T-shirts and sandals or perhaps flared jeans with a tucked-in tank top and a blazer for evening. http://www.latimes.com/features/imag...,7789714.story

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have seen the women's but not for men. The women's have a very fitted tummy and butt with very flared legs. Very sexy on tall skinny babes. Not at all like baggy jeans of the 90's and 2000's.

In the 70's guys worn jeans that were tight through the butt, crotch and thigh but then flared. Perhaps this is the direction? (I hope not)

Cacatfish

Reaction score
As stated above, women not men this year. Maybe men in a year or two. I hope not. I'm not a fan of skinny jeans but flares are even worse.

DLester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The article is about women's fashion, which churns through trends 8x faster than men's clothing and is basically irrelevant here.

I don't know a lot of men who look good by dressing according to current trends in women's clothing.

Brunathacliath

Reaction score
It may be worth noticing that the men's Spring/Summer 2011 Dsquared show featured an unusual cut for the Caten twins, they call it the "Julian" cut, by reference to Richard Gere's character in American gigolo.

It is basically a 70's cut, not exactly flared but wider towards the bottom, and even denim jeans feature a long crease running down the leg.

Bona Drag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1st post re dsquared = i predict this will end badly

ma1

Reaction score
mens fashion generally follows womens...

aphextwin07

Reaction score
hahahaha. i had to check if the thread was created like 15 years ago.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DLester
The article is about women's fashion, which churns through trends 8x faster than men's clothing and is basically irrelevant here.

I don't know a lot of men who look good by dressing according to current trends in women's clothing.

+1.

Makeshift_Robot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wide legs are definitely coming back, looser silhouettes in general. Flares too, probably. Which is great.

I've definitely made purchases based on trends in women's fashion, I think there's a more prevalent sense of "play" relative to men's stuff.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads