or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › Help me stock my new bar
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Help me stock my new bar - Page 4

post #46 of 162
Thread Starter 
Just picked up both DeGroff books on B&N. Will return the one I like less.
post #47 of 162
Nice. Yeah I agree on = smaller bottle of those vermouth, and remember to put them in the refrigerator when you're done. Now I'm kinda craving for a Rusty Nail after looking at that Drambuie. http://www.amazon.com/Luxardo-Gourme...sr=1-1-catcorr ^... just lovely, nice touch for that special Manhattan. Speaking of which, I really like Canadian whisky for my Manhattan. I'm normally not a fan of Crown Royal. But I use the CR Special reserve..cost around $30-35ish. If I'm feeling like a baller, Cask No 16 is pretty nice as well. I think it's overpriced, but I seen it on sale quite often around here. You should also check out Gosling rum. It's my to go mixing dark rum and awesome value.
post #48 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
What do you use the Gran Marinier for or in place of? How about cherries. I know you're fanatical about them. Any specific ones I should get?
Grand Marnier -- I just drink it neat. It's orange cognac, basically. A number of people use it in Sidecars, which I think is odd, as the Sidecar already has coganc Cherries: Fanatical, hah, it's true, or at least I am fanatical that the NOT be those horrible scarlet 'confections' they serve these days. I've never had the Luxardo, but I've heard them praised everywhere, so I'm sure they are great (i Must try some myself, actually). I use Amarena Fabbri cherries these days, also available on Amazon (or at a Williams-Sonoma if you have one around.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
Huntsman: They had the regular Christian Brothers and the version below VSOP as well. I figured, for $12, I could spring for the VSOP!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
Just picked up both DeGroff books on B&N. Will return the one I like less.
Rambo, you are seriously, seriously going for it. Nice haul, and I mean haul! I see Savoy Corpse Reviver #2's in your future.... Enjoy! ~ H
post #49 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsman View Post
Grand Marnier -- I just drink it neat.
~ H

yup .. also a great drink for your guests after dinner. I remember a few months ago. I had a great dinner with my uncle. He asked me if I wanted some GM. I was like sure, he crack open a bottle of GM Centenaire, and it was really good. It was a great night. Then I got when I find out how much it cost.
post #50 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren G. View Post
yup .. also a great drink for your guests after dinner. I remember a few months ago. I had a great dinner with my uncle. He asked me if I wanted some GM. I was like sure, he crack open a bottle of GM Centenaire, and it was really good. It was a great night. Then I got when I find out how much it cost.
Oddly enough, that is precisely what I am drinking now -- on account of thinking about it since posting. I first had the Cent on my birthday at a bar in Boston a few years ago; have had some on my birthday ever since. ~ H
post #51 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsman View Post
Oddly enough, that is precisely what I am drinking now -- on account of thinking about it since posting. I first had the Cent on my birthday at a bar in Boston a few years ago; have had some on my birthday ever since. ~ H
today wouldn't happen to be your birthday, would it?
post #52 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAMOR View Post
today wouldn't happen to be your birthday, would it?
Hah, one of those cases that because I knew it was not my birthday, I didn't realize it might sound like it was to others. No, just felt in the mood for a modicum. ~ H
post #53 of 162
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren G. View Post
http://www.amazon.com/Luxardo-Gourme...sr=1-1-catcorr ^... just lovely, nice touch for that special Manhattan. Speaking of which, I really like Canadian whisky for my Manhattan. I'm normally not a fan of Crown Royal. But I use the CR Special reserve..cost around $30-35ish. If I'm feeling like a baller, Cask No 16 is pretty nice as well. I think it's overpriced, but I seen it on sale quite often around here. You should also check out Gosling rum. It's my to go mixing dark rum and awesome value.
Thanks for the link. I thought a Manhattan used scotch (blended like JW Black), no? I had the Myers left over and plan to get some Goslings and ginger beer for Dark and Stormy's. Anybody have a recommendation for a ginger beer?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsman View Post
Grand Marnier -- I just drink it neat. It's orange cognac, basically. A number of people use it in Sidecars, which I think is odd, as the Sidecar already has coganc Cherries: Fanatical, hah, it's true, or at least I am fanatical that the NOT be those horrible scarlet 'confections' they serve these days. I've never had the Luxardo, but I've heard them praised everywhere, so I'm sure they are great (i Must try some myself, actually). I use Amarena Fabbri cherries these days, also available on Amazon (or at a Williams-Sonoma if you have one around.) Rambo, you are seriously, seriously going for it. Nice haul, and I mean haul! I see Savoy Corpse Reviver #2's in your future.... Enjoy! ~ H
Thanks Hunts! I have a good role model! What's the recipe for the Savoy Corpse Reviver #2?
post #54 of 162
Thread Starter 
Hell, scratch that last request, what are the first 10 drinks that I should make?
post #55 of 162
sidecar, old fashioned, rusty nail, aviation, da da da da da da
post #56 of 162
Great choices so far. I'd get more whiskey, but that's just me. Maybe something Irish like Tyrconnell for variety. I agree with Huntsman that good cherries make a big difference. I use Toschi maraschino cherries and they're nothing like the standard cheap, bright red ones you find everywhere. I really wish we could get maraschino liqueur here. For your first cocktail, you can't go wrong with a Manhattan. I make mine with bourbon because rye whiskey is completely unavailable in my province and I think it's still a great drink. How about a Martini?
post #57 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyLaw View Post
Great choices so far. I'd get more whiskey, but that's just me. Maybe something Irish like Tyrconnell for variety.

I agree with Huntsman that good cherries make a big difference. I use Toschi maraschino cherries and they're nothing like the standard cheap, bright red ones you find everywhere.

I really wish we could get maraschino liqueur here.

For your first cocktail, you can't go wrong with a Manhattan. I make mine with bourbon because rye whiskey is completely unavailable in my province and I think it's still a great drink.

How about a Martini?

Do you have access to Alberta Springs or Alberta Premium? Made with 100% rye. It's the only Canadian whiskey that is.
post #58 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by denning View Post
Do you have access to Alberta Springs or Alberta Premium? Made with 100% rye. It's the only Canadian whiskey that is.

Unfortunately, I don't. The provincial liquor monopoly has decided: no rye.
post #59 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
Thanks for the link. I thought a Manhattan used scotch (blended like JW Black), no?
American Whiskey is the rule. Bourbon or Rye. If you're using a Bourbon, use one on the tart side. Sweet bourbons like Makers simply aren't suitable, as the drink was originally made with rye, and is balanced for the same. If you make it with a too sweet bourbon, the drink will be too sweet. When you make one with Scotch, it's a Rob Roy. Feel free to do it, but it's not a Manhattan. As for the first 10 drinks, I'm just going to rattle off a few of my favorites. Warning, may be more than ten. Manhattan Martini (I prefer a gibson (cocktail onion garnish) or a twist) Pegu Club White Lady/Sidecar/XYZ, which are all New Orleans sours- bitter citrus juice, orange liqueur, gin/brandy/Dark or aged rum. The Margarita falls into that category as well, and there's a vodka one. One of my own invention I call the Aurora- 2 oz gin, 3/4 oz St. Germain, 3/4 oz lime juice, twist of lime. Ward 8 Luigi (1.5 measures gin, 1.5 measures dry vermouth, 1/4 measure grenadine, dash cointreau/triple sec, juice of half a tangerine or mandarin orange.) Daquiri. The original, made with rum, lime or lemon (use twice as much lemon as you would lime if you go that route) and sugar. Kingston: 1.5 oz dark rum, 3/4 oz gin, Juice of half a lime, tsp grenadine If you like mint, the stinger (2:1 brandy and creme de menthe) and Continental (3:1:1 light rum, cd menthe, lime juice) are fun. Plus, buy green creme de menthe (the only difference is food coloring), and they're green, which is perfect for about a week ago. Though the stinger is traditionally made sans food coloring. For somewhat longer drinks, Gin Sling (there are a billion recipes- the one I use comes from Rachel Maddow, who in addition to being a political wonk is a cocktail nut. 1.5 oz gin, 1 oz sweet vermouth, 3/4 oz lemon, 1 oz simple syrup, dash or two of bitters, top with seltzer.) Whiskey Sours are nice with some seltzer added. I would only fill up to the top of a tumbler, not a Collins glass. Gimlets are also good made as such, though I also usually make them with real lime juice and sugar, at which point they're probably not gimlets anymore... Cuba Libre (Rum and coke with lime, I consider it a classic though some despise it. But it's been around since we invaded Cuba and soldiers decided to combine that new tonic soda with the local rum) Planter's Punch. Yes, a billion variations exist. There's a reason for that. It's a good drink and easy enough to tweak. Sharkbite. Yeah, the one on the back of the Myer's bottle. Shot of dark rum, dash of grenadine and OJ. Nice combination, and I find it works even better with Amaretto subbed in for the grenadine. Uh, are those enough suggestions?
post #60 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyLaw View Post
Unfortunately, I don't. The provincial liquor monopoly has decided: no rye.

That's awful. What province?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › Help me stock my new bar