or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › Help me stock my new bar
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Help me stock my new bar

post #1 of 162
Thread Starter 
Alright, I know this has been done before, but its been a while and I thought we could use an update. I need your recommendations on all spirits and mixers that I'm missing or you think I should have. Also, I could use some good ideas on where to get cheap glasses (martini, highball, etc.) to make drinks in and any good online sources for barware. Lastly, a good book or two with recipes and drink making instructions. Here's what I've got so far: The Kirkland stuff will be saved for the visiting pesantry.
post #2 of 162
Not a fan of Tanqueray?
post #3 of 162
This is a very personalized collection. I'm guessing that you drink most liquor straight rather than in cocktails. Are you looking for additions that will appeal to you or to guests? If it's the latter, I recommend the following:

Sweet and dry vermouth (for martinis and manhattans)
Cointreau/Combier (pretty much a staple in most sours)
Silver rum (for dacquiris)
Silver tequila (for margaritas)
Maraschino liqueur (the creme de violette is looking lonely)
A nice blended scotch (for lesser friends)
Brandy/cognac (can't live w/o sidecars)
Campari (acquired taste that I love)
Regan's orange bitters (adds a nice punch to martinis)
post #4 of 162
Thread Starter 
10's not bad. Regular blows.
post #5 of 162
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser View Post
This is a very personalized collection. I'm guessing that you drink most liquor straight rather than in cocktails. Are you looking for additions that will appeal to you or to guests? If it's the latter, I recommend the following: Sweet and dry vermouth (for martinis and manhattans) Cointreau/Combier (pretty much a staple in most sours) Silver rum (for dacquiris) Silver tequila (for margaritas) Maraschino liqueur (the creme de violette is looking lonely) A nice blended scotch (for lesser friends) Brandy/cognac (can't live w/o sidecars) Campari (acquired taste that I love) Regan's orange bitters (adds a nice punch to martinis)
I'm actually hoping to be doing quite a number of cocktails. Note the Creme de Violette (Hi Huntsman!) so I can make Avations. I've also got to get Chartreuse and Maraschino Liquor so I can make a The Last Word. I was already planning on the Cointreau, JW Black, and Campari. Could definitely use recommendations on the rest of your list. I also need a few good tequilas (blanco, reposado, and anjejo) and any other things you (or anyone else) thinks I might have missed.
post #6 of 162
What no blanca tequilia? Don Julio on sale is the most amazing value IMO.

I like your choice of Plymouth gin. Maybe the best tasting and best value out there.
post #7 of 162
How about a white rum for Mojito's? Summer is right around the corner....

I think any white rum will be fine for that.
post #8 of 162
every bar needs jack daniels.

GREAT choice on the hendricks. My favorite gin.
post #9 of 162
Broken record here, but you might want to try a bottle of Gran Centenario. They dropped the price considerably. At $25 I can't think of a better bottle of tequila for the dollar (hopefully someone will stop by and correct me- needing some variation here).
post #10 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by HgaleK View Post
Broken record here, but you might want to try a bottle of Gran Centenario. They dropped the price considerably. At $25 I can't think of a better bottle of tequila for the dollar (hopefully someone will stop by and correct me- needing some variation here).

+1, You are right. Excellent suggestion for a blanca or reposado.
post #11 of 162
Chivas!
post #12 of 162
You need an unpeated scotch.
post #13 of 162
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy View Post
How about a white rum for Mojito's? Summer is right around the corner.... I think any white rum will be fine for that.
I was hoping for some recommendations. 10 Cane isn't bad but there has to be something better out there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekS View Post
every bar needs jack daniels. GREAT choice on the hendricks. My favorite gin.
I was thinking about some Jack but then I'd never drink it and it would only be around for girls who like Jack and Coke's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HgaleK View Post
Broken record here, but you might want to try a bottle of Gran Centenario. They dropped the price considerably. At $25 I can't think of a better bottle of tequila for the dollar (hopefully someone will stop by and correct me- needing some variation here).
Blanco, Reposado, or Anjejo? I assume Blanco given the price, but I want to make sure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OakCreekHitter View Post
Chivas!
Oh hell no!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ama View Post
You need an unpeated scotch.
Recommendation?
post #14 of 162
Thread Starter 
Just stopped by the liquor store and bought Maraschino liquor and Chartreuse. Shit that Chartreuse is expensive. Huntsman that Last Word better be a kick ass drink!
post #15 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
Recommendation?

Price range?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › Help me stock my new bar