• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Blackberry Playbook

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
Goes on sale, at least here, on April 19. Thoughts? It is a slightly different target than the Ipad, having a 7" screen (though with better resolution ppi-wise than the ipads). The 16gb is 499, 599 for 32gb, 699 for 64gb. Wifi out, video calling, nice design. Reactions?

blackberry_playbook2.jpg

For me, I will say it now: I am buying one. I use a blackberry for work and this is simply going to be much more functional for me than an ipad. However, I will NOT buy one until it has independent cellular connectivity - which is supposed to be released later this year. At that point, the playbook will probably utterly obsolete my traditional blackberry and I will rely on it exclusively. I want to handle one in person to determine whether it will also obsolete my wish for an ipad (which I want to own primarily because it would be a lighter version of the income tax act).

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
dude, you don't want to make calls on that ******. I was at the movies the other night, saw a twink making a call on his Galaxy Tab... just about the single dorkiest thing I've ever seen in my life. To me, the tablets aren't particularly hard-working or functional beyond laying in bed or lounging around and watching TV or videos, checking my facebook or SF once in awhile, but a good smart phone has been immensely useful. I'd never try to combine them, one at 3.5" and one at 7"+ (I'd rather the iPad at 10" though) is the right split IMO.

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
I don't really use my blackberry for phone calls. I use it for work, which means a ton of email. I also use it to pull up documents, the internet etc and a 7" screen would be WAY better. It's also more manageable than the larger Ibook which isn't much of a phone alternative. Finally, if I do need to make a call, I will just use a bluetooth headset.

I am looking at it as a life-changer, if it's actually pulled off.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
This is going to be the main market segment to compete with the iPad. They've pretty much got the 10" sector sewn up. The 7", on the other hand, could become quite popular. I'll definitely take a look at it when it comes out.

xpress

Reaction score
I'll buy one.

This is why...

The iPad is a hopped up iPhone (I own both... say what you will) to which operate *mostly* with mutual exclusivity.

The same goes for the Samsung Galaxy and the Samsung Tab.

Now... Lets face it... Blackberries are slightly behind the curve in terms of operating system, and file accessibility.
I frequently have to resort to a computer to open excel embedded documents, etc... Where on the iPhone, I don't.

This is where I see the Playbook excelling. It will do the things my Torch cannot... Where the iPhone and iPad do basically the same thing.

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
Apparently the OS RIM bought for this thing blows BB's current phone OS out of the water, according to a review I read. A lot like WebOS. I agree with you on the stuff about needing a computer to do a lot of things where my phone can't, the screen is too small to make a lot of things manageable. If this sucker actually has a phone in it and I can just bluetooth to a headset I don't see why I'll need to carry a phone, side from it being more compact.

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I will get one as fast as I possibly can.

If it turns out to be relatively useless, I will try something else.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AR_Six
I don't really use my blackberry for phone calls. I use it for work, which means a ton of email. I also use it to pull up documents, the internet etc and a 7" screen would be WAY better. It's also more manageable than the larger Ibook which isn't much of a phone alternative. Finally, if I do need to make a call, I will just use a bluetooth headset.

I am looking at it as a life-changer, if it's actually pulled off.

you can't be serious????

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ter1413
you can't be serious????
Yes, perhaps a bit hyperbolic I guess but I'm a lawyer. Walk into a downtown restaurant, if you see a table full of people who occasionally and without warning stop talking to each other and start frantically typing away on their blackberries, that is a table of lawyers. The thing is a ball and chain but it is the most important device I own and it is used for hours every day. A total paradigm shift in this department would have a significant effect on my work and thus my day.

coop86

Reaction score
I am wondering how efficient one can type on a touchpad keyboard. Every demo video I've seen shows people typing with one finger, maybe two. Anyone with a tablet care to enlighten me on the ease of use of the touchscreen keyboard?

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As ridiculous as this might sound, I've heard rumours that you don't have a native email or calendar functionality on the playbook. Instead, you have to sync it with your existing blackberry.

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I won't buy it. I used to be a fan of RIM and their products, but they are always behind the times so to speak.

xpress

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TRINI
As ridiculous as this might sound, I've heard rumours that you don't have a native email or calendar functionality on the playbook. Instead, you have to sync it with your existing blackberry.

As ridiculous as that is, and taking into account how many customers that would alienate from this product....
As I posted above... I see this as an add-on for existing blackberry users, as opposed to a stand alone device.
Therefore, sync me up Tony.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is going to be a memorable flop

Kookz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
This is going to be a memorable flop

Memorable may be a bit generous.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads