Well I'm a level 31 warrior on Greybriar server, Guardian side
So far I think the experience has been rather enjoyable, much more so than my 2 week trial of WoW, which I did not really care for much at all.
Things I like about Rift:
- Ease of play (no apparent bugs, character hardly ever gets stuck) and extremely fast login/logout times
- Logical macro system - allows me the ability to manage the endless amount of abilities you gain as you diversify your various talent trees and roles
- UI setup - easy to manipulate the UI the way you want to, and no need to save and move around UI files - for example I went from playing on my laptop to a different desktop computer, and all my hotkeys and UI settings were saved on the server-side, so I didn't have to import my UI files (on EQ1 this was a major PITA if you ever switched PCs)
- Graphics - the graphics kick ass, especially given my poor system specs, I was surprised that the complex graphics ran so smoothly on my laptop at full resolution
- Major invasions/zone-wide raids - this is supposed to be the main change in Rift compared to other MMOs and I was surprised at how smoothly this operates - some people don't like the zerg nature of these major invasions but I like them just fine
Things I don't like about Rift:
- A lack of grouping required - I much prefer the harder challenge of leveling wherein a group is almost a must-have. I don't mind soloing but when you are grinding out exp in a group you learn a lot about other classes and you appreciate your gear and experiences more, since earning levels and new gear requires time and patience.
- Constant gear upgrades - along the same lines as above, I don't get attached to any of my gear at all, or really prize any of it like I did while leveling up in EQ1. In Rift your gear is only good for 2 levels maybe, and then your next solo quest will give you a new weapon or piece of armor. I much prefer gear that takes serious skill, grouping and strategy to win, even at lower levels. I'm not advocating raid-level stuff either, but at least groupable should be the norm to receive decent gear.
- Lack of procs on weapons. One of the main draws in EQ1 was the desire to find rare weapons that proc'd aggro and hate generating spells (for a warrior). In Rift, I haven't seen this yet. Hopefully at higher levels the weapons will do this....hopefully