• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is Kiton worth the money?

sstomcat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm a new member here, have been a lurker for some time but decided to join today. Over the past month I have developed a fascination of some nice shirts and have so far bought Charvet, Borrelli, Purple label, Gucci, Brooks Sea island, Thomas pink, Hilditch key, Harvey and Hudson, Charles Trywitt and few others.
What other brands do you recommend?
I see that Kitons are way pricier than the others, so I want to understand is it the brand thing or is it the fabric qualityeing much superior?
I also like to own few 2fold 200 shirts can anyone tell me where to get them online?
thanks foryour help

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sstomcat
I'm a new member here, have been a lurker for some time but decided to join today. Over the past month I have developed a fascination of some nice shirts and have so far bought Charvet, Borrelli, Purple label, Gucci, Brooks Sea island, Thomas pink, Hilditch key, Harvey and Hudson, Charles Trywitt and few others.
What other brands do you recommend?
I see that Kitons are way pricier than the others, so I want to understand is it the brand thing or is it the fabric qualityeing much superior?
I also like to own few 2fold 200 shirts can anyone tell me where to get them online?
thanks foryour help

Are you paying full retail for the Kiton shirts or discount? If full retail then you may want to consider MTM/bespoke options for less or equal to the retail price.

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dragon8
Are you paying full retail for the Kiton shirts or discount? If full retail then you may want to consider MTM/bespoke options for less or equal to the retail price.

I agree. I recommend Ascot Chang. They have some ridiculously nice shirting fabrics available. They are not cheap, but they represent better value than Kiton, since the price of the shirt is dependent upon the price of the material chosen.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bleachboy
I agree. I recommend Ascot Chang. They have some ridiculously nice shirting fabrics available. They are not cheap, but they represent better value than Kiton, since the price of the shirt is dependent upon the price of the material chosen.

I also recommend Ascot Chang. The alumo fabrics are sweet.

TurfedGomer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Both. Kiton is great quality but you're also paying for the name. Is it worth it? Up to you. Anything's worth it if you like the item enough to pay the asking price.
There's definitely a rule of diminishing return of the goods purchased and the value their worth. Agreed Kiton is a great brand but one that certainly surpasses the mark. I would recommend bespoke/MTM as well as the options are much greater and the fit superb.

sstomcat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Discount.Does Kiton always uses 2 ply 170 or up cotton is what I was told. Is this true?

sstomcat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I also recommend Ascot Chang. The alumo fabrics are sweet.

Problem is I'm neither close to NY or Beverly hills...

jefferyd

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bleachboy
I agree. I recommend Ascot Chang. They have some ridiculously nice shirting fabrics available. They are not cheap, but they represent better value than Kiton,.

+1

Iceball

Reaction score
The Kiton buttons and collars are nice but all the 'handwork' doesn't necessarily make for a better shirt than a good machine made shirt that will be much cheaper.

Pal Zileri make a nice shirt and the Sartoriale shirts have the nice MoP buttons etc,

As has been said at Kiton full price you could have pretty much any shirt anywhere except for Kabbaz, I guess so bespoke makers in the US or travelling makers from UK / Italy are all available.

I would say that if you can get Kiton for about $200 which you can sometimes it's an okay deal and cheaper than that go ahead.

Try ShoptheFinest and eHaberdasher for deals.

I haven't got a Charvet but would love to, however I don't think it's worthwhile unless you buy at least initially in Paris.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Discount.Does Kiton always uses 2 ply 170 or up cotton is what I was told. Is this true?

If the price is right and you want Kiton go for it. I have no idea what fabric Kiton uses.

Problem is I'm neither close to NY or Beverly hills...

They travel twice ayear to various parts of the country. Where do you live?

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Barba gets good reviews on here. I don't own any personally though.
I do own shirts by Eton, Dunhill, Canali, Pal Zileri & Zegna and can recommend them.
You may also want to explore different fabrics on these brands, One example is Sea Island or Egyptian cotton,
which can shimmer like the Nile river, giving a very regal and elegant look to your outfit.
The brands you listed to begin with are all good brands as well.
Welcome to Styleforum.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Word of warning if you try and buy Kiton on sale or on EBay, the fit varies greatly. Some will be baggy tents made for certain US retailers like Wilkes Bashford and others will be skinny Italian models for certain European markets. The sleeve length, shoulder width and other details can vary a lot with the same size.

Why don't you look into a variety of quality MTM shirt programs. Try a few and see what you like.

singlechange

Reaction score
If I were to do over again and buy ready to wear dress shirts, I'd buy Barba black label, Finamore and Truzzi. I have purchased ready to wear shirts by Kiton, Oxxford, Hilditch & Key, Fray, Brioni, Zegna, Harvey & Hudson, Turnbull & Asser.

Shikar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My fav shirts are Kiton and Attolini for RTW. The material is the best cotton I have in shirting.

Regards.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads