or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › What are you drinking right now?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What are you drinking right now? - Page 661

post #9901 of 14431
Quote:
Originally Posted by b1os View Post

I don't have too many decent cocktail bars around here. I was -- see last page -- at Le Lion on thursday, but we didn't get a seat at the counter/bar so I couldn't really watch. The waiter was pretty knowledgeable, but rather in theory. Moreover, the place was very crowded, so he didn't have too much time. Plus, the Ramos Gin Fizz, in comparison to Velvet Tango Room's one, didn't have lots of foam, so I'm not sure whether this bartender was the first choice to ask. Granted, he shaked every drink for just four seconds or so (some might even call it hyper-shaking) -- so that might be the main reason.
Also, FWIW, my aim is not to create perfect egg white cocktails at home. I was just perplexed by what happened and tried to figure out what I did wrong and hoped of a quick solution/answer by some of the knowledgeable forum members. I like to learn from my faults, but can't do so if I don't know the cause.
I don't love egg white cocktails, but this cocktail was the first one that crossed my mind when I thought about what to do with the chartreuse at first.

I gave this advice in the wine thread and I think it is applicable here as well, although I don't think I spelled it out as well. Real life interaction with someone who is more knowledgeable about the subject will advance your understanding way beyond forum interaction. This is such a limited way to exchange ideas, especially about something that is sense based. A good way to find a bartender who is more knowledgeable is to ask them to make a classic cocktail that most turn and burn bartenders couldn't do, a corpse reviver #2 is a good start. If they can make it without looking it up, use that to start a conversation. I can sometimes answer questions about "theory" behind cocktails, but as I said I don't really like to actually make cocktails.
post #9902 of 14431
I was writing more blah but decided for a short answer: yes, I think you're totally right. However, in my opinion, a fora, in most cases, is sufficient for small questions (and often enough the quickest solution unles you've got, to stay on topic, a good bartender on your speed dial) - I mean, that's what fora are for, aren't they?
Anyway, this is leading nowhere, so if anyone still has an idea of what went wrong, shoot it. Otherwise I'll have to keep it in mind until I go to Le Lion (or some other good place) in the next few weeks/months.
post #9903 of 14431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser View Post

Martinez with 1:2 gin:vermouth ratio.

confused.gif
post #9904 of 14431
Quote:
Originally Posted by erictheobscure View Post

After dinner drinks last night: a Highland flight at a local whisk(e)y bar (Oban, Glenmorangie, and Eades, which is cheating since it's distilled in Virginia, but still not bad). Then some Manhattans at home--girlfriend made one with Dolin vermouth and one with Vya and let me do a blind taste test. I liked the Vya a little bit better.

fistbump.gif

Now try it with a good Canadian whisky. Wiser's 18 y.o. or Crown Royal Cask 16.
post #9905 of 14431
Chartreuse

Rob Roy with
45 ml JWBlL
25ml Carpano Antica
1 dash Maraschino (to replace the lack of a maraschino cherry as garnish)
1 dash Angostura bitters
lemon peel

Not bad, but I prefer the Blood and Sand with Guignolet de Dijon. Mmmm.
post #9906 of 14431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhowie View Post

A good way to find a bartender who is more knowledgeable is to ask them to make a classic cocktail that most turn and burn bartenders couldn't do, a corpse reviver #2 is a good start. If they can make it without looking it up, use that to start a conversation.

would a "Last Word" fall into that category? I mean I know it's Prohibition-era and has recently made a comeback in certain circles ... kinda similar to a CR#2... just lately I get the feeling when I've ordered one I get the "Mr. Cool Guy ordering obscure drink" look. A few places know it... many do not.
post #9907 of 14431
large_spa_water.jpg
post #9908 of 14431
some cheap Californian chardonnay! does the trick.
post #9909 of 14431
Perfect drink after a long day of work.

ggFjZ.jpg
post #9910 of 14431
^icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

hitachino makes some good shit

those japanese know what they're doing
post #9911 of 14431
sweet or dry vermouth in Rome with a view?
post #9912 of 14431
Dry, but I figure it'd work with sweet, too.
post #9913 of 14431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Nickels View Post

would a "Last Word" fall into that category? I mean I know it's Prohibition-era and has recently made a comeback in certain circles ... kinda similar to a CR#2... just lately I get the feeling when I've ordered one I get the "Mr. Cool Guy ordering obscure drink" look. A few places know it... many do not.
Favorite ratios?
1:1:1:1 gin, Chartreuse, Maraschino, lime juice?
post #9914 of 14431
Quote:
Originally Posted by b1os View Post

I was writing more blah but decided for a short answer: yes, I think you're totally right. However, in my opinion, a fora, in most cases, is sufficient for small questions (and often enough the quickest solution unles you've got, to stay on topic, a good bartender on your speed dial) - I mean, that's what fora are for, aren't they?
Anyway, this is leading nowhere, so if anyone still has an idea of what went wrong, shoot it. Otherwise I'll have to keep it in mind until I go to Le Lion (or some other good place) in the next few weeks/months.


Was this the question about your furry egg drink? I think that part of the issue was the use of granulated sugar. Use simple syrup -- this goes for all cocktails, and you'll have a much better result. I make egg cocktails frequently, and can't say I've ever really had a problem. SHake it until it goes quiet (the foam damps the sound when the ice breaks up), and use appropriate ratios (too much acid can spoil it). I'll post my ratios for my Standard Sour when I get home.

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kid Nickels View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhowie View Post

A good way to find a bartender who is more knowledgeable is to ask them to make a classic cocktail that most turn and burn bartenders couldn't do, a corpse reviver #2 is a good start. If they can make it without looking it up, use that to start a conversation.

would a "Last Word" fall into that category? I mean I know it's Prohibition-era and has recently made a comeback in certain circles ... kinda similar to a CR#2... just lately I get the feeling when I've ordered one I get the "Mr. Cool Guy ordering obscure drink" look. A few places know it... many do not.


My standard classic is either the Manhattan or a Sidecar. I don't care whether they have to look it up or not, I care how its made; what ingredients are chosen, what garnishes are used, whether they free-pour or measure, etc. And of course, how it tastes.

 

I would definitely NOT order a Last Word unless I saw both Maraschino and Green Chartreuse on the bar. And I wouldn't do it as a test, either.



Quote:
Originally Posted by b1os View PostFavorite ratios?
1:1:1:1 gin, Chartreuse, Maraschino, lime juice?


Yep:

 

http://www.styleforum.net/t/187758/chartreuse/15

 

~ H

 

post #9915 of 14431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsman View Post

Was this the question about your furry egg drink? I think that part of the issue was the use of granulated sugar. Use simple syrup -- this goes for all cocktails, and you'll have a much better result. I make egg cocktails frequently, and can't say I've ever really had a problem. SHake it until it goes quiet (the foam damps the sound when the ice breaks up), and use appropriate ratios (too much acid can spoil it). I'll post my ratios for my Standard Sour when I get home.
Thanks. This might have been the cause because I didn't have the flocculation when I made the Ramos Fizz.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › What are you drinking right now?