or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › What are you drinking right now?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What are you drinking right now? - Page 651

post #9751 of 13686

Haha, thanks guys.

 

perspective, yeah, the knob is hardly illustrous, but I try to keep the short bottles in the front when there are actually some short bottles (not common with, say, Scotch). The Pappy has company from WL Weller, Stagg, Eagle Rare 17, a pair of A.H. Hirsch 16s, a Parker Anniversary, as well as some other friends. The question of what to put out front is always tough -- my Rittenhouse 25, for instance, is stuck in the back in its beautiful wooden box just to avoid blocking other stuff (plus I reach for it much less often than, say, Sazerac 6).

 

Nickels, yes, its my house bar. It IS a hobby after all.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwilkinson View Post

Hunts, what would you say is the ratio of base spirits to flavoring stuff in your bar?
What is your deepest category?
I think I remember you saying that Tequila was the one you knew least about, so I'll assume that's your most shallow category.

I'd love to have a bar from which you can actually make a variety of drinks. Its just so expensive... each liqueur ranges from $20-35, and then the actual spirits are the same if not more.


K, the bar is skewed massively toward the base spirits, because I started drinking them long, long before I got into cocktails and because I still really enjoy spirits neat. The ratio to modifiers must be like 15:1 or 20:1.

 

My deepest category is Scotch and Irish whiskys: I think I am at nearly 50 malts and ten or so blended whiskies, followed by bourbon, cognac/armagnac, rum, gin, vodka, then rye. Tequila is at the low end of the totem pole but is my newest spirits frontier. I have a grand total of two Mezcals and two Tequilas -- and one of each is rotgut. But the Del Maguey Chicichicapa I had not long ago was such an awesome, awesome experience that I'm sure that collection will be growing soon.

 

There really are not that many essential flavoring liqueurs or modifiers unless you go and read the PDT Cocktail Book or something. Cointreau is the most critical, but after that, Maraschino, Green Chartreuse, an Absinthe, Benedictine, Campari, a Creme de Cacao, St. Germain, and Creme de Violette, will cover a HUGE amount of ground -- over 75% of the cocktails I make require no more than these. 

 

It is, as you say, fairly expensive to build a bar to be able to make a wide variety of drinks, but the truth is, as long as you have good examples of each of the primary spirits and a decent selection of modifiers, you can do a huge variety of serious cocktails. Yes, it is nice to, say, pick which of ten gins for a particular cocktail is best, but truth be told, Beefeater is still sufficient 90% of the time. I started out with the notion of getting one 'well' spirit for each of the eight primary spirits classes, adding the modifiers as I went along, as well as premium spirits in classes that I really liked. If you figured $30/bottle for the eight primary spirits, that's like $240 (though some are cheaper), and the same for the nine modifiers about, that is $270, for a total of $510 or so for 17 bottles with which you can make a stunning array of cocktails (if a few vermouths are added in).

 

~ H

 

post #9752 of 13686
Interesting. Finances here may be changing soon and i may start a KWilk Special Flower bar-building thread, because, I need the personal attention that can only be gained by starting my own thread rather than reading the other dozen threads on the same subject.

Although for me I have to say Campari is high up on the list. Ever since I first tasted it, I've always had a bottle lying around. I just love bitterness and acidity.
post #9753 of 13686
I'll take a picture of my "home "bar"" later. It's really primitive and not complete at all but meh. It took me some time to figure it out when I bought it. However, now I'd buy different stuff. I mean, what the fuck do I need Bols cacao liquor for? That stuff is nasty.

+1 for a home bar threak ("The Official Home Bar Thread" !) with pictures and recommendations for spirits by the way. I nearly created one when I asked about a gin rec a couple of weeks ago. Kyle, I'll give you the honor.
post #9754 of 13686
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwilkinson View Post

Interesting. Finances here may be changing soon and i may start a KWilk Special Flower bar-building thread, because, I need the personal attention that can only be gained by starting my own thread rather than reading the other dozen threads on the same subject.
Quote:
Originally Posted by b1os View Post

+1 for a home bar threak ("The Official Home Bar Thread" !) with pictures and recommendations for spirits by the way. I nearly created one when I asked about a gin rec a couple of weeks ago. Kyle, I'll give you the honor.

Just a little self-promotion:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/97944/home-bar-starter-advice-wanted
post #9755 of 13686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser View Post

Just a little self-promotion:
http://www.styleforum.net/t/97944/home-bar-starter-advice-wanted
Hey, I'm not necrophilic!
post #9756 of 13686
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwilkinson View Post

Interesting. Finances here may be changing soon and i may start a KWilk Special Flower bar-building thread, because, I need the personal attention that can only be gained by starting my own thread rather than reading the other dozen threads on the same subject.
Although for me I have to say Campari is high up on the list. Ever since I first tasted it, I've always had a bottle lying around. I just love bitterness and acidity.

You ever tried Aperol, K? Same family as Campari but more complex...less bitter though. I love the stuff!
post #9757 of 13686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser View Post

Just a little self-promotion:
http://www.styleforum.net/t/97944/home-bar-starter-advice-wanted
.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwilkinson View Post

I need the personal attention that can only be gained by starting my own thread rather than reading the other dozen threads on the same subject.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alter View Post

You ever tried Aperol, K? Same family as Campari but more complex...less bitter though. I love the stuff!

I have, am a big fan.
post #9758 of 13686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsman View Post

Nickels, yes, its my house bar. It IS a hobby after all.

You're in law school, right? Is this bar located in your law-school apartment/house?
post #9759 of 13686
My small collection. Normally most of them stay very crowded on a small table. Not nice. Too much Bols stuff I never use.

Bols and syrup....
263

Other stuff..
263

More booze
263

Dry vermouth missing. And obviously a lot of other stuff.
post #9760 of 13686
Quote:
Originally Posted by b1os View Post

My small collection. Normally most of them stay very crowded on a small table. Not nice. Too much Bols stuff I never use. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Bols and syrup....
263
Other stuff..
263
More booze
263
Dry vermouth missing. And obviously a lot of other stuff
.

Love the wall colour
post #9761 of 13686
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjr View Post

Love the wall colour
Thanks, bro.

Really am enjoing a Sam Smith's cider now. Glad the last one was just an exception (it was over-fermented or so) because I've bought six bottles of the same batch.
post #9762 of 13686

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwilkinson View Post

Interesting. Finances here may be changing soon and i may start a KWilk Special Flower bar-building thread, because, I need the personal attention that can only be gained by starting my own thread rather than reading the other dozen threads on the same subject.

Although for me I have to say Campari is high up on the list. Ever since I first tasted it, I've always had a bottle lying around. I just love bitterness and acidity.


Ah. Changing in a positive way, I presume? Cheers! I really love Campari as well. I do like Aperol, too, but Campari is particularly special to me.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser View Post

You're in law school, right? Is this bar located in your law-school apartment/house?


I am indeed in law school. I'm a part-timer and work a full-time real job, so my law-school abode is my actual abode. It would be pretty awesome if I had my bar in like some off-campus housing though! I did expect to quit my job and go to LS full-time, so it was an actual sadness for me to think that I would really have to pare down my bar to fit in some bookcase in on-campus housing. Glad that didn't have to happen.

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by b1os View Post

My small collection. Normally most of them stay very crowded on a small table. Not nice. Too much Bols stuff I never use.

Bols and syrup....


Other stuff..
263

More booze


Dry vermouth missing. And obviously a lot of other stuff.


What do you do with the Galliano? I have some but don't really do all that much with it.

 

 

~ H

post #9763 of 13686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsman View Post

Quote:


Ah. Changing in a positive way, I presume? Cheers! I really love Campari as well. I do like Aperol, too, but Campari is particularly special to me.

Changing in a positive way, but mostly because there is no possible way it could get any lower tongue.gif. But thanks H!
post #9764 of 13686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsman View Post

What do you do with the Galliano? I have some but don't really do all that much with it.

Harvey Wallbanger is the first thing that comes to mind. Off the top of my head I can't think of any others.
post #9765 of 13686
b1os booze looks good but I gotta ask... you told me not to use Bacardi for my pina coladas but you've got a bottle of Malibu? what the heck do you with that!? patch[1].gif (I'm just ribbing you a little happy.gif)

btw... just regular G&T tonight... no bitters.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › What are you drinking right now?