or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › What are you drinking right now?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What are you drinking right now? - Page 471

post #7051 of 14432
Indeed.... felt like the world stopped when I put that Jura 30 to my nose and got knocked out with sherry. That one really gave some long time lovin, drank it from a little Riedel digestif glass and I sat on it for like 45 minutes maybe.
post #7052 of 14432
^^^ that looked like a nice night Drew. I'm contemplating getting a bottle of Dom for my (20th) birthday in a couple months, and then get some other niceties for my 21st (maybe Roederer Cristal Rosé?). That Jura 30 looks absolutely beautiful. -- I've been slowly acquiring a "home bar" of my own. I have 2 bottles of Noilly Prat vermouth, some garnishes, grenadine, Rose's lime, JW Black, Centenario Anejo, Zacapa 23, Hendrick's, Smirnoff Red, Appleton V/X, and Beefeater. Tried to make a martini this past weekend (without a shaker. my Alessi comes on Monday) with the dry vermouth & beefeater, estimated too much and made a very dry martini. I think I'll be taking an afternoon dram of JW Black after my noon class and my workout. Long day ahead of me.
post #7053 of 14432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krish the Fish View Post
I've been slowly acquiring a "home bar" of my own. I have 2 bottles of Noilly Prat vermouth, some garnishes, grenadine, Rose's lime, JW Black, Centenario Anejo, Zacapa 23, Hendrick's, Smirnoff Red, Appleton V/X, and Beefeater. Tried to make a martini this past weekend (without a shaker. my Alessi comes on Monday) with the dry vermouth & beefeater, estimated too much and made a very dry martini.

I think I'll be taking an afternoon dram of JW Black after my noon class and my workout. Long day ahead of me.

Your home bar thread inspired me to start my own, so I did that a couple weeks ago... this is where I'm at for now:


-Hendrick's and bog standard Tanq - will add MM when me or gf go on Japan trip
-JD and Maker's Mark - will add 3 or 4 more to this when the time is right
-Smirnoff #21, will add some Russians as they're easier to acquire here
-1800 anejo, not big into Tequila
-Bacardi gold, will add white, but same as above, couldn't care less
-Nikka Taketsuru 12 for a blended whiskey
-Balvenie DW and Laphroaig QC for single malts, way more to come
-Chartreuse green
-Fernet Branca
-Pernod pastis
-Campari
-semi-sweet white and red Martini vermouths, will add Noilly Prat ($10ish in Japan) later
-Luxardo
-Cointreau
-Angostura bitters
-Grenadine syrup

I know I have more than double this left to buy... what do I need? I'm literally buying some of this stuff from black market shops that buy from the U.S. Army bases here, so many things that look mainstream are actually incredibly hard to get, some will have to be hand-carried from Japan.
post #7054 of 14432
Don't buy bacardi white. It's bottled kerosene. Virtually any other light rum would be better.
post #7055 of 14432
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
Don't buy bacardi white. It's bottled kerosene. Virtually any other light rum would be better.

That's what I grew up stealing from my mom's margarita fortress after midnight though.

I'm gonna eventually add Havana Club 7 (available locally) and then maybe get my gf to gift me a really old bottle of something demerara, like 22 years old or something (seen them for about $100 in Japan) for darker stuff, but light rum has me lost.
post #7056 of 14432
Quote:
Originally Posted by impolyt_one View Post
I know I have more than double this left to buy... what do I need? I'm literally buying some of this stuff from black market shops that buy from the U.S. Army bases here, so many things that look mainstream are actually incredibly hard to get, some will have to be hand-carried from Japan.
I would add a brandy/cognac, a rye whiskey, Cherry Heering, St. Germain, and orange bitters.
post #7057 of 14432
10 Cane maybe for white rum? I've been wondering about light rum myself, and I need to get my hands on some Angostura bitters (and perhaps the orange bitters too). I'm not too thrilled with Rose's grenadine, considering it's completely high fructose corn syrup (which I hate), so I'm contemplating making my own grenadine when I have time. I still have much of my home bar to buy (i'm about 1/3 done, $$$ wise), so I can start adding more stuff (and drinking) soon. Also, Noilly Prat is cheaper in Japan than it is in Ohio (lol). Looking at my receipt from the liquor agency, I paid $13.99 per fifth of the stuff, though I probably should have gone with a smaller quantity considering I won't be going through the stuff very quickly. Off topic, but has anyone had any of this season's Great Lakes' Christmas Ale? One of my fraternity brothers just picked up two six packs, and I was wondering if it was readily available (or as readily as it will ever be) yet.
post #7058 of 14432
4 Lokos!!
post #7059 of 14432
Today was long, but I wasn't really in the mood for something too stiff and I don't have a small beer or a bottle of wine chilled, so I mixed up a bastardized orange blossom. Hadn't had one of those in a while...forgot how much I enjoy them.
post #7060 of 14432
Flor de Cana makes a 4 year white rum that's cheap and highly rated, maybe give that a shot, since 10 cane is expensive and white rum is primarily a mixer.

I'm drinking a Great Divide Hoss rye lager/marzen with my burrito and I believe I'll have a postprandial HP12 as well.
post #7061 of 14432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post
Last day off work, sitting with my dying kitty curled up along my leg and purring, and sipping a Rusty Nail with 18 y/o Macallan Sherry Cask and VTR bitters. Having it on the rocks.
Is that the same as the Costco/McCallan 18? I've never heard of a RN being made that way.
post #7062 of 14432
Quote:
Originally Posted by oDD_LotS View Post
Today was long, but I wasn't really in the mood for something too stiff and I don't have a small beer or a bottle of wine chilled, so I mixed up a bastardized orange blossom. Hadn't had one of those in a while...forgot how much I enjoy them.

So what's the difference between a bastardized mixture of orange juice and gin and a proper mixture of orange juice and gin?

Also, if you like those, try a Luigi. The recipe my book has:
1.5 measures gin
1.5 dry vermouth
1/4 measure grenadine
dash of triple sec
Juice of half an orange or tangerine

Shaken and strained into a glass. If you have traditionally sized cocktail glasses, this will probably be too large, but some sort of stemmed glass is probably preferable.

The orange and gin flavors still shine, but it's a much more complex and refined drink.
post #7063 of 14432
^it's only 2pm, but I have all the stuff for that and I want to try one now....
post #7064 of 14432
not beer in the day time

i am drinking apple juice now
post #7065 of 14432
Made a pear and ginger cocktail with the Domaine de Canton liqueur, pear nectar, and vodka. Then I made a raspberry margarita by slightly adulterating a margarita with some leftover raspberry coulis I made to accompany some lemon bars. Then I made a Bijou cocktail now that I finally got around to getting a bottle of Chartreuse. I think that's enough drink for me tonight.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › What are you drinking right now?