or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › What are you drinking right now?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What are you drinking right now? - Page 1011

post #15151 of 16180
Any ideas for Halloween cocktails, thinking of Satan's Whiskers, Satan's Circus or Black Lodge, but wondering if you guys know of others that are appropriate?
post #15152 of 16180
Quote:
Originally Posted by saint View Post

Any ideas for Halloween cocktails, thinking of Satan's Whiskers, Satan's Circus or Black Lodge, but wondering if you guys know of others that are appropriate?

Corpse Reviver?

post #15153 of 16180
Thanks, my wife also suggested that one and the Zombie. I was embarrassed to have forgotten them!
post #15154 of 16180

The Widow's Kiss, clearly.

post #15155 of 16180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsman View Post

The Widow's Kiss, clearly.

Haven't tried that one, but would have to sub Strega for the Yellow Chartreuse, which obviously makes it even more appropriate for Halloween!

May try it after dinner.
post #15156 of 16180

OESO and some Weller 12.
post #15157 of 16180

A riff on the Manhattan - I believe its called "the Staff Manhattan": 2oz Rye, 1oz Sweet Vermouth, 1/2oz Cointreau, aromatic bitters, luxardo cherry garnish.

 

I swear I saw this on the forum somewhere but I can't remember where. Anyhow, its quite nice and I think I actually prefer them this way (which is kinda nuts since I love the traditional Manhattan so much).   

post #15158 of 16180
If you add Cointreau/Curaçao or maraschino liqeur to a cocktail it's called an improved cocktail at least according to Jerry Thomas. Also sometimes he adds an absinthe rinse
post #15159 of 16180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerostat View Post
 

A riff on the Manhattan - I believe its called "the Staff Manhattan": 2oz Rye, 1oz Sweet Vermouth, 1/2oz Cointreau, aromatic bitters, luxardo cherry garnish.

 

I swear I saw this on the forum somewhere but I can't remember where. Anyhow, its quite nice and I think I actually prefer them this way (which is kinda nuts since I love the traditional Manhattan so much).   

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by indesertum View Post

If you add Cointreau/Curaçao or maraschino liqeur to a cocktail it's called an improved cocktail at least according to Jerry Thomas. Also sometimes he adds an absinthe rinse

 

I like Dave Wondrich's summary/systemization of the Professor on this (cf. Imbibe):

 

Fancy – curaçao added

Improved – maraschino and absinthe added

 

So I suppose this would be a Fancy Manhattan.

post #15160 of 16180
Ah. I remember flipping through Jerry Thomas' book and thinking fancy meant rubbing the edge with a peel and adding it as a twist



And kinda assumed improved meant both Curaçao and Maraschino/Absinthe

But it looks like he calls for Curaçao in his regular cocktails, fancy is the peel, and improved is changing Curaçao to Maraschino/Absinth rinse

Imbibe has a new edition out that Wondrich said has more updated info especially in regards to the origins of the martini. Been wanting to buy it. Maybe I'll pull the trigger
post #15161 of 16180
Quote:
Originally Posted by indesertum View Post

Ah. I remember flipping through Jerry Thomas' book and thinking fancy meant rubbing the edge with a peel and adding it as a twist



And kinda assumed improved meant both Curaçao and Maraschino/Absinthe

But it looks like he calls for Curaçao in his regular cocktails, fancy is the peel, and improved is changing Curaçao to Maraschino/Absinth rinse

Imbibe has a new edition out that Wondrich said has more updated info especially in regards to the origins of the martini. Been wanting to buy it. Maybe I'll pull the trigger

Weirdly, he puts curaçao in the regular gin and brandy cocktails but not the whiskey one (keeping it old-fashioned?), so Wondrich uses the whiskey cocktail as a template and so for him curaçao+peel=fancy. I like the rationality of this (and don't mind sacrificing a little historicity for it.)

 

I think I'll get that new edition of Imbibe too, now that you mention it. 

 

Speaking of Wondrich, I'm definitely planning to make something out of his punch book again for Thanksgiving this year.

post #15162 of 16180
Ah. I didn't think to look at the whiskey one

I figured brandy would've been the norm in Jerry Thomas era but I do remember Wondrich saying that's bad history

The punch book is so good. Morgenthaler had an easier recipe for the oleo saccharum tho that I haven't tried.
post #15163 of 16180
Moscow Mule with Stoli Gala Applik and Gosling's Ginger Beer.
post #15164 of 16180
Summum Vodka, fresh pineapple, raw ginger
post #15165 of 16180
Quote:
Originally Posted by indesertum View Post

Ah. I didn't think to look at the whiskey one

I figured brandy would've been the norm in Jerry Thomas era but I do remember Wondrich saying that's bad history

The punch book is so good. Morgenthaler had an easier recipe for the oleo saccharum tho that I haven't tried.

At this point I'm so used to grinding big zests of whole lemons into demerara sugar over and over in a big granite mortar and pestle that it's just part of the ritual of punchmaking for me. The part that always kills me is filtering the punch base at the end...

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › What are you drinking right now?