or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › What are you drinking right now?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What are you drinking right now? - Page 935

post #14011 of 14488
hey Hunts, PM me when you'll be around if you want I can message some of the local guys for an informal meetup
post #14012 of 14488
2009 Rioja Vega. Very good for a $10 wine.
post #14013 of 14488
This is going to sound really, really strange, but had a Scotch Margarita the other day. I think it had a smoky scotch (laphroiag maybe?), mole bitters, ginger beer, cointreau, simple syrup, lime, lemon. That is what I kind of tasted. It was surprisingly delicious. Anyone had anything similar?

Also, anyone got some good margarita recipes, or variants of the usual?
post #14014 of 14488

My last bottle of Tisdale ( 3 for $10),  I plan to move up the cabernet chain a little with my next everyday choice.

 

Any recommendations under $12?

 

Cheers,

post #14015 of 14488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcomer View Post

This is going to sound really, really strange, but had a Scotch Margarita the other day. I think it had a smoky scotch (laphroiag maybe?), mole bitters, ginger beer, cointreau, simple syrup, lime, lemon. That is what I kind of tasted. It was surprisingly delicious. Anyone had anything similar?

Also, anyone got some good margarita recipes, or variants of the usual?

if it has ginger beer you can't really call it a margarita. more like a buck
post #14016 of 14488
Quote:
Originally Posted by indesertum View Post

if it has ginger beer you can't really call it a margarita. more like a buck

Yes, looking at the ingredients, a buck would definitely be the better term (just learned about this "buck"). They dubbed it a Margarita, so I stuck with their nomenclature, but I think a Scotch Buck, with some additional elements of a Margarita, would be a decent definition.
post #14017 of 14488
Also, anyone have any good mezcal cocktail recipes?
post #14018 of 14488
A simple paloma is great. Love it with smoky mezcals. Fill a delmonico glass with ice (an 8, 9 oz glass or so). Add 2 oz of mezcal, 3/4 oz lime juice, a pinch of salt and stir. Then top with grapefruit soda (or grapefruit juice, seltzer water, and simple syrup). If you want uniform texture you can build it in a glass or shaker and then strain into a new glass with fresh ice. I prefer the latter method but it's a pain so I tend to build it in the glass

I've also made oleo saccharum before in a plastic bag and the peels of like 3 grapefruit and a bunch of sugar and then the air squeezed out and left out for a few hours. If you have a sous vide you can also use that or you could gently warm it in a pan. I forget the ratios.

Same recipe as above but replace the simple syrup and grapefruit juice with oleo saccharum.
post #14019 of 14488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcomer View Post

Also, anyone have any good mezcal cocktail recipes?
Quote:
Originally Posted by denning View Post

Smokey Bandit x 3

1.5 oz mezcal
1 oz pineapple juice
3/4 oz Cointreau
1/2 oz lime juice
1/8 tsp jalapeno juice (I just infuse macerated jalapenos in the mezcal for a half hour)
post #14020 of 14488
Great ideas on the recipes guys!
post #14021 of 14488
Quote:
Originally Posted by denning View Post


1.5 oz mezcal
1 oz pineapple juice
3/4 oz Cointreau
1/2 oz lime juice
1/8 tsp jalapeno juice (I just infuse macerated jalapenos in the mezcal for a half hour)

Hey Denning, silly, semantic question--do you macerate the jalapenos in the mezcal, or do you put already macerated jalapenos in the mezcal. In other words, fresh jalapenos, or jarred jalapenos.
post #14022 of 14488
I dice up fresh jalapenos as much as possible, even squishing them with the flat of the blade, then put them in.
post #14023 of 14488
Quote:
Originally Posted by denning View Post

I dice up fresh jalapenos as much as possible, even squishing them with the flat of the blade, then put them in.

Got it, I figured that was the case. I made one last night. I enjoyed it thoroughly, my roommate and my girlfriend (two separate people) couldn't handle the smokiness / spiciness. I may cut theirs with a bit of tequila.
post #14024 of 14488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcomer View Post

Got it, I figured that was the case. I made one last night. I enjoyed it thoroughly, my roommate and my girlfriend (two separate people) couldn't handle the smokiness / spiciness. I may cut theirs with a bit of tequila.

I find it's a 50/50 love it, hate it reaction to the drink.
post #14025 of 14488
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossoz View Post

My last bottle of Tisdale ( 3 for $10),  I plan to move up the cabernet chain a little with my next everyday choice.

Any recommendations under $12?

Cheers,
Well you certainly can't move down there can you? lol Layer Cake, Menage a Trois, Cupcake, Rosemount .. any of these is better than Tisdale. I mean for that price you're better off with Two Buck Chuck.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › What are you drinking right now?