or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › What are you drinking right now?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What are you drinking right now? - Page 886

post #13276 of 13988
Negroni and later some Laddie Ten. The delivery of my Glenfarclas 15 (got a good deal on both of them) unfortunately got delayed. Looking forward to it.
post #13277 of 13988

I am just going to say that I am pissed that so many of Fee Bros. bitters are artificially flavored. I bought their Orgeat once and just trashed it because its flavor was so destroyed by the artificial almond. I did the same with the Aztec Chocolate bitters, which tastes like a tootsie roll. Really sucks.

post #13278 of 13988
Speaking of bitters, I wanted to make myself a Sazerac but since I still haven't gotten myself some Peychaud's, I decided against it.
Regarding chocolate bitters, TBT / Bittermen's Xcolatl Mole bitters is quite good, imo.
post #13279 of 13988
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsman View Post

I am just going to say that I am pissed that so many of Fee Bros. bitters are artificially flavored. I bought their Orgeat once and just trashed it because its flavor was so destroyed by the artificial almond. I did the same with the Aztec Chocolate bitters, which tastes like a tootsie roll. Really sucks.

Yes its exactly like a tootsie roll. I just described it that way to a friend. He was trying to make something using that product but couldn't do it. I told him the product was shit and that's why it didn't work.

I think the sloe negroni is much improved with absinthe.
post #13280 of 13988
Sidecar (your recipe, Hunts) in lieu of the Sazerac. Sometimes one just craves Cognac. Also, a Ranglum. Gosling's is empty again..
post #13281 of 13988

Had my first Sazerac tonight . Is it generally absinthe forward, or was that just the way of the bar I was at?

Also had some birthday bourbon which I enjoyed.

post #13282 of 13988
All the talk of Sloe gin made me want to make something using my far too often neglected bottle.

Blackthorn (courtesy of PDT)
It was ok. But it felt like something was out of balance. Maybe it needed a barspoon of simple to smooth it out, but between the sloe gin and the orange bitters, it was quite bitter. Normally I love bitter drinks, but this was just, off. As Huntsman has indicated before, the PDT drinks just don't seem to work 100%. There always seems to be something missing from the recipe.

Although, in fairness to the recipe I used Greenall's gin and the Bitter Truth sloe gin, not Plymouth.


post #13283 of 13988
Oh, I also did a variant on a Hemingway Daiquiri. I had no white rum so I substituted gin.

1.5 oz gin
.75 lime juice
.25 fresh grapefruit juice
.25 Maraschino

Delicious. So refreshing.
post #13284 of 13988
Quote:
Originally Posted by b1os View Post

Speaking of bitters, I wanted to make myself a Sazerac but since I still haven't gotten myself some Peychaud's, I decided against it.
Regarding chocolate bitters, TBT / Bittermen's Xcolatl Mole bitters is quite good, imo.

The Peychaud's does matter, so good choice. I saw the Xcolatl bitters yesterday, but at nearly 30 USD a bottle that is a little rich for me. The last bitters I bought at that pricetag was the Abbotts (I think) which was NOT worth it.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhowie View Post

Yes its exactly like a tootsie roll. I just described it that way to a friend. He was trying to make something using that product but couldn't do it. I told him the product was shit and that's why it didn't work.

I think the sloe negroni is much improved with absinthe.

 

Good, I will have to try it that way.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1os View Post

Sidecar (your recipe, Hunts) in lieu of the Sazerac. Sometimes one just craves Cognac. Also, a Ranglum. Gosling's is empty again..

 

Cognac is that way for me. I rarely want it, but when I want it, it is the only thing I want. Thankfully, Gosling's in cheap!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelscott7 View Post
 

Had my first Sazerac tonight . Is it generally absinthe forward, or was that just the way of the bar I was at?

Also had some birthday bourbon which I enjoyed.


Well, it is supposed to be just a rinse, but that depends on who is doing the rinsing, and the Peychaud's also has anise in it. So, I find the absinthe is very present, and its flavor does hit at the beginning and end of each sip.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by denning View Post

Oh, I also did a variant on a Hemingway Daiquiri. I had no white rum so I substituted gin.

1.5 oz gin
.75 lime juice
.25 fresh grapefruit juice
.25 Maraschino

Delicious. So refreshing.

 

Sounds great. As for the Blackthorne,I enjoy it greatly, but felt that PDTs recipe needed some changes to pump up that great red berry flavor, notably pulling the rosso and replacing with a red wine quina to remove that earthy muddiness of the vermouth, which, I find, merely diminishes the sloe, and adding a touch of Maraschino which also pumps up those berry flavors while adding a little sweetness. Mine is:

 

1.5 oz Hendricks

1 oz. Plymouth Sloe Gin

1oz Dubonnet

1/4 oz  Maraschino

Fabbri Cherry

 

I've had it with Dubonnet and Lillet Rouge, but not head to head.

 

~ H

post #13285 of 13988
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsman View Post


1.5 oz Hendricks
1 oz. Plymouth Sloe Gin
1oz Dubonnet
1/4 oz  Maraschino
Fabbri Cherry

I've had it with Dubonnet and Lillet Rouge, but not head to head.

~ H

This thread finally convinced me to go out and get a bottle of Plymouth sloe. Did a sloe Negroni and I think it needs a different vermouth. The flavors weren't really distinct enough. What worked for you with the sloe Negroni?
post #13286 of 13988

I just used M&R, Gib. I think that is my standard vermouth for Negronis, as it has enough wineyness to balance the earthiness. For Boulevardiers, I've settled on half M&R, half Cocchi vermouth del Torino. I like more earthinesss with the Boulevardier than the Negroni.

 

I want to try the Sloe Negroni with Dolin Blanc or with Lillet/Dubonnet Rouge. I am really into this drink and the way the Sloe gin works with Campari. I am thinking that a high gin, high vermouth variant with a little Campari might be particularly excellent -- maybe even with the absinthe rinse.

 

~ H

post #13287 of 13988
I wonder if my vermouth might be a little stale (was using Martini and Rossi as well), it's almost empty and I can't remember when I opened it. Haven't been doing nearly as many cocktails recently. I'll crack a fresh bottle later this week and see if it makes a difference.

I was thinking about Dubonnet Rouge with the sloe. Let us know what you think.
post #13288 of 13988
Superbowl-drinks: The Last Word - Gin Tonic - Dark & Stormy, some Gunderloch Nierstein Riseling and some Rémy Martin Coeur de Cognac with a doppio.
post #13289 of 13988

I had winkle 10 year and lot b while watching the game

post #13290 of 13988
Hp18
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › What are you drinking right now?