or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › What are you drinking right now?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What are you drinking right now? - Page 801

post #12001 of 14421

Cognac. PF Reserve from a Reidel Som XO glass. I am finishing up a semester, am totally sick of it, my girlfriend has been away and I am in a bad, bad mood. But this spirit is really, really, really soothing. I have not had cognac in a while and forgot how much I liked it.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibonius View Post


Also not sure I can restrain myself well with a cask of Negroni. It's turned into my (almost) daily drink. I could barely stomach Campari earlier this year happy.gif

Drinking one now actually, albeit with a splash of Cherry Marnier. Not sure it really adds anything special, but it's a little different.

 

The first night that I tapped that puppy was actually hard. I measured out 3 oz so I would know how much I was drinking. I had two, and I really, really, really wanted to go back to the well. Hard. I remember, I had a paper due, so I didn;t.

 

Cherry Marnier!! I have a bottle from the '70s that my father got for a gift; I know it is sold but I have not seen one since. I love cherry flavors in cocktails, and am always trying to work them in; must have like 5 cherry spirits.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post

Tonight, an Aurora, a concoction I couldn't find anywhere else on the web when I came up with it a few years ago, despite the simple recipe, so I named it myself and claim it as my own. IMO, it's really good. I've mentioned it a few times here.

2.5ish oz gin (Death's Door tonight)
.75 oz St. Germain
.75 oz Lime Juice

Shaken, garnished with a lime twist.

 

I should make this because it sounds excellent.

 

~ H

post #12002 of 14421
Sounds like a well deserved snifter.
post #12003 of 14421
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post

Tonight, an Aurora, a concoction I couldn't find anywhere else on the web when I came up with it a few years ago, despite the simple recipe, so I named it myself and claim it as my own. IMO, it's really good. I've mentioned it a few times here.

2.5ish oz gin (Death's Door tonight)
.75 oz St. Germain
.75 oz Lime Juice

Shaken, garnished with a lime twist.

I made something similar the other day but with lemon instead of lime. I think the lime might be better, will give it a go.
post #12004 of 14421
post #12005 of 14421
Huntsman, PF is my go-to. Hope your semester starts to improve.
post #12006 of 14421
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhowie View Post


What's in them there casks?
post #12007 of 14421
Whiskey in the small ones. Aquavit is in the larger, pinot noir barrels.
post #12008 of 14421
You know where you get the pinot barrels?
post #12009 of 14421
An Oregon based winery. I don't remember the name.
post #12010 of 14421
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsman View Post

I should make this because it sounds excellent.

~ H
It is. Still has some rough edges, but I like it quite a bit. Maybe .5-.675 oz of StG and some simple syrup, to balance the variance in limes, may work well too.
post #12011 of 14421

After I finished (gave up) studying last night, I went and hung out with my father for a bit. We did a little vodka tasting, including the ephemeral Moscow distilled Smirnoff Black. I don't stock a lot of vodka -- I think I really only need three; a mixer, a potato for drinking, and a grain vodka for drinking. All the same we tried: Smirnoff Red, Boyd & Blair, Chopin, Belvidere, Grey Goose, Karlsson's Gold, Smirnoff Black (UK distilled) and the Smirnoff Black (Moscow). All out of Reidel cognac tulips, washed with distilled and dried in between.

 

The main conclusions were that they were all very different neat, that Goose was remarkable for its lack of nose, B&B was really, really excellent with a good nose and a delightful creaminess mid-palate, Chopin was nice, no burn, good flavor, would like a little more nose. The Smirnoff Black (UK) was clearly a Smirnoff product; flavor was very pronounced, as was a burn almost to the point of being objectionable. The Smirnoff Black (Moscow) still blows every other vodka I've ever tried clean out of the water. Great nose, great flavor, no burn, not as creamy as B&B, a little grain sweetness; just lovely. I now regret to say that instead of two bottles, I have one and much less than another bottle. Oh, well. Good times were had by all.

LEAD Technologies Inc. V1.01

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

Sounds like a well deserved snifter.

 

Thanks. In the end that was kind of the end of my hard studying that night. I was done and needed to quit. I parked on the couch in front of the bar, had some Tessaron Lot 29 and Godet 1970, little 3/4oz pours. All great.

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba View Post

Huntsman, PF is my go-to. Hope your semester starts to improve.

 

It will in about 2.5 weeks when it is OVER!! Which Ferrand do you prefer?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1os View Post
It is. Still has some rough edges, but I like it quite a bit. Maybe .5-.675 oz of StG and some simple syrup, to balance the variance in limes, may work well too.

Yeah, as you know, I am a big fan of the simple for balance.

 

~H

post #12012 of 14421
Sorry, I was thinking of Fillioux. My staple is Fillioux XO reserve (30 year). It's reasonable enough for me that I can offer it to company without guilt, even if they are not familiar with cognacs.

My favorite Pierre Ferrand is actually Ambre and I sort of alternate between that and Camus VSOP and Fillioux COG for cognacs in that spectrum. All of which are young but not harsh.
post #12013 of 14421
73 then 63 Armagnac last night. Getting to the end of weather appropriate for drinking Brandy for me in the NE.
post #12014 of 14421
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba View Post

Sorry, I was thinking of Fillioux. My staple is Fillioux XO reserve (30 year). It's reasonable enough for me that I can offer it to company without guilt, even if they are not familiar with cognacs.

My favorite Pierre Ferrand is actually Ambre and I sort of alternate between that and Camus VSOP and Fillioux COG for cognacs in that spectrum. All of which are young but not harsh.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba View Post

73 then 63 Armagnac last night. Getting to the end of weather appropriate for drinking Brandy for me in the NE.

 

Have you had the Germain-Roban XO to compare? I have no XO on hand, just well, VS, a few VSOPs/20yo spirits, and then I jump right into single vintage bottlings. Well, the Tess 29 is an XO, I suppose, but I find it really woody. I find the younger brandies and sweeter scothches appropriate in all but the height of summer.

 

~ H

post #12015 of 14421
Have not tried the Germain robin XO, but I've been interested in picking up a bottle. The Anno Domini seems to be pretty well reviewed also, have you given it a try?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › What are you drinking right now?