or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › What are you drinking right now?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What are you drinking right now? - Page 800

post #11986 of 14876
Tres Generacions tequila with lime wedges..
post #11987 of 14876
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba View Post

696570FA-FC75-45C4-B50F-3678532E8094-3265-0000056147D45732_zps2d4c1526.jpg

Lot 29

Pretty sure I found a place that has this at less than $300 a bottle. Would have to go back and check to be sure.
post #11988 of 14876
That would be amazing, please share. Do you have a hookup on Germain-Robin? I'm definitely considering one of their Anno Domini bottles.

Huntsman,

Sounds like the spoils of Tokyo are treating you well. cheers.gif I agree that the special edition seems like a marketing ploy, but most seem to live up to the packaging so far.
post #11989 of 14876
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsman View Post

Awesome. I have a 2L waiting for Manhattan. My 1L trial was Negroni and that was a HUGE success. I laid that puppy down at Christmas, and I regret to say that it is gone. I'd get home from class, around 11:00pm, and it was just too bloody easy to tap that puppy. It was great to see how it evolved; after 7 weeks it was really becoming joyful, and hit its stride at 14 or so. What size cask do you have?

It's a 2L. This is the second batch. First one took less time, I think because I used less bitters. It took longer for the bitters and vermouth to oxidize and settle in this time.


Probably going to do a Negroni batch next time. Trick will be picking the right vermouth.
post #11990 of 14876
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibonius View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsman View Post

Awesome. I have a 2L waiting for Manhattan. My 1L trial was Negroni and that was a HUGE success. I laid that puppy down at Christmas, and I regret to say that it is gone. I'd get home from class, around 11:00pm, and it was just too bloody easy to tap that puppy. It was great to see how it evolved; after 7 weeks it was really becoming joyful, and hit its stride at 14 or so. What size cask do you have?

It's a 2L. This is the second batch. First one took less time, I think because I used less bitters. It took longer for the bitters and vermouth to oxidize and settle in this time.


Probably going to do a Negroni batch next time. Trick will be picking the right vermouth.

 

Makes sense. I also wonder if the fresh char on the first batch sped things along. If you are considering putting Negroni in next (good idea, with summer approaching), have you considered a Boulevardier -- a bourbon or rye Negroni? Might meld better with the Manhattan remnants. I wish that I had done Manhattan --> Boulevardier with my 1L.

 

Incidentally, vermouth choice was my biggest issue with my aged Negroni. In the end, I decided on 1:1:1.25, where the vermouth was the 1.25, itself composed roughly of 1:0.25 M&R:Dubonnet Rouge as I think M&R is the best all-rounder for a Negroni, but like to pump up the winey notes a bit. Not a huge fan of the big earthy vermouths with Negroni (Carpano, Cocchi VdT, Petrucci, et. al.), though I prefer them in the Boulevardier.

 

Endless variations.

 

~ H

post #11991 of 14876
Ginjito, continuing the summer theme. With the mint and lime smashed up in there, it looked pretty, so I thought I'd snap a photo:



If you're wondering about the coaster, there's a pile in ever conference room in the Senate, free for the taking after any meeting you may have.
post #11992 of 14876
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsman View Post

Makes sense. I also wonder if the fresh char on the first batch sped things along. If you are considering putting Negroni in next (good idea, with summer approaching), have you considered a Boulevardier -- a bourbon or rye Negroni? Might meld better with the Manhattan remnants. I wish that I had done Manhattan --> Boulevardier with my 1L.

Incidentally, vermouth choice was my biggest issue with my aged Negroni. In the end, I decided on 1:1:1.25, where the vermouth was the 1.25, itself composed roughly of 1:0.25 M&R:Dubonnet Rouge as I think M&R is the best all-rounder for a Negroni, but like to pump up the winey notes a bit. Not a huge fan of the big earthy vermouths with Negroni (Carpano, Cocchi VdT, Petrucci, et. al.), though I prefer them in the Boulevardier.

Endless variations.

~ H

Thought about it, but I'm sort of curious how the rye remnants will play with an aged Negroni. Seems like the Negroni won't require so much aging anyway.

Also not sure I can restrain myself well with a cask of Negroni. It's turned into my (almost) daily drink. I could barely stomach Campari earlier this year happy.gif

Drinking one now actually, albeit with a splash of Cherry Marnier. Not sure it really adds anything special, but it's a little different.
post #11993 of 14876
I can see a Negroni made with Gran Classico aging quite nicely in a cask. If your Negroni is made with Campari, I think you want to preserve that sharp, bitter orange flavor, and not take the edge off.
post #11994 of 14876
Had aquavit Bloody Mary's yesterday. Tasty.
post #11995 of 14876
Had a glass of nicely prepared Vieux Pontarlier absinthe. Mint, licorice, herbal notes. And despite diluting it down to about 28% or so, left a definite tingly numbness to my tongue. It was my first experience with absinthe like this, and quite interesting to say the least.
post #11996 of 14876
About to be knee deep in Johnny walker for free (taste test).
post #11997 of 14876

Some cognacs and brandy we've been testing with my gf. You can also see the truth about he picture :P 

 

post #11998 of 14876
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
post #11999 of 14876
Tonight, an Aurora, a concoction I couldn't find anywhere else on the web when I came up with it a few years ago, despite the simple recipe, so I named it myself and claim it as my own. IMO, it's really good. I've mentioned it a few times here.

2.5ish oz gin (Death's Door tonight)
.75 oz St. Germain
.75 oz Lime Juice

Shaken, garnished with a lime twist.
post #12000 of 14876

Cognac. PF Reserve from a Reidel Som XO glass. I am finishing up a semester, am totally sick of it, my girlfriend has been away and I am in a bad, bad mood. But this spirit is really, really, really soothing. I have not had cognac in a while and forgot how much I liked it.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibonius View Post


Also not sure I can restrain myself well with a cask of Negroni. It's turned into my (almost) daily drink. I could barely stomach Campari earlier this year happy.gif

Drinking one now actually, albeit with a splash of Cherry Marnier. Not sure it really adds anything special, but it's a little different.

 

The first night that I tapped that puppy was actually hard. I measured out 3 oz so I would know how much I was drinking. I had two, and I really, really, really wanted to go back to the well. Hard. I remember, I had a paper due, so I didn;t.

 

Cherry Marnier!! I have a bottle from the '70s that my father got for a gift; I know it is sold but I have not seen one since. I love cherry flavors in cocktails, and am always trying to work them in; must have like 5 cherry spirits.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post

Tonight, an Aurora, a concoction I couldn't find anywhere else on the web when I came up with it a few years ago, despite the simple recipe, so I named it myself and claim it as my own. IMO, it's really good. I've mentioned it a few times here.

2.5ish oz gin (Death's Door tonight)
.75 oz St. Germain
.75 oz Lime Juice

Shaken, garnished with a lime twist.

 

I should make this because it sounds excellent.

 

~ H

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › What are you drinking right now?