or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › What are you drinking right now?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What are you drinking right now? - Page 756

post #11326 of 13985
Quote:
Originally Posted by erictheobscure View Post

^ At least as of two years ago or so, Jever was ubiquitous in Brooklyn. Pretty much on the menu at every place I went to. Couldn't figure out why--it's totally unremarkable, in my opinion.

I like it for it's bitterness. I'm sure it sells in part due to the awesomely simple label. It's golden, you know?

Anyway, something you'd recommend instead? A bitter tasting pilsner kind of beer?

(Drinking a Chimay Blue at the moment, next will be a Grolsch)
post #11327 of 13985
I much prefer Belgian beer over German, but Jever is "ok" I guess. Not much of a fan of pilsen overall.

Had a Cuba Libre. And a Ranglum (50ml Gosling's, 25ml Wray & Nephew's, 15ml Falernum, 25ml lime juice, small dash simple syrup -- by Gonçalo De Sousa Monteiro at Le Lion).
post #11328 of 13985
b1os, have you told earlier which rum and cola you use for your Cuba Libre?
Simply HC3 + Coca Cola?
post #11329 of 13985
No, not HC3. I prefer other Cuban white rums, for example Ron Varadero 3. But a split of white and dark rum is great too, less lime though (1/4-1/3 of a medium lime as opposed to 1/2 for plain white rum). I currently just have Appleton white which I don't like at all. So I use about 20-25cl of coke, 4cl Appleton white and 3cl Myer's rum (again, no other strong dark rum..).
An amber rum should provide the same qualities (freshness of the white rum, richness of the dark rum) though.

And yeah regular coke. While I enjoy other cokes (Fritz Kola for example), they just don't work in a Cuba Libre.
Edited by b1os - 11/17/12 at 3:30pm
post #11330 of 13985
Quote:
Originally Posted by b1os View Post

I much prefer Belgian beer over German, but Jever is "ok" I guess. Not much of a fan of pilsen overall.
Had a Cuba Libre. And a Ranglum (50ml Gosling's, 25ml Wray & Nephew's, 15ml Falernum, 25ml lime juice, small dash simple syrup -- by Gonçalo De Sousa Monteiro at Le Lion).

I understand liking more Belgian beers than German ones. For one thing I can think of more Belgian ones, but there are probably loads of German beers I don't know off. I seem to remember liking Prinzregent Luitpold (Weissbier) a lot. I'm sure there will/would be many more.
post #11331 of 13985
I agree, Appleton White is quite "sprittig".

For some time now my spirits cabinet holds an unopened bottle of Ron Caney Carta Blanca Superior 3 Anos, maybe I should try to get my hands on a tray of glas bottled Coke and give it a try?
post #11332 of 13985
The thing is, I've never seen "microbrewery" beer in any German bar/restaurant, which is quite unfortunate for a country with such a beer culture. Nor in most stores.

@Louis: Good idea. wink.gif
post #11333 of 13985
Mmh, I've been to Osnabrück to a small local brewery/restaurant. I'm hazy on the beer quality. On the other hand I've a hard time imagining there to be less than one in any similary sized city. I don't live in Germany, though.
post #11334 of 13985
It's just my experience in Hamburg. The most I've seen was Weihenstephan, and in a rather medicore café. There's (edit: at least) one beverage store in Hamburg that stocks dozens and dozens of beers. But they're all <1€ which seemed a little odd to me (I expect good beers to cost at least 1€/0.33l.. but maybe that's the wrong mindset.. I guess I'll give some a try next time I'm in Hamburg; overall I much prefer wine and liquor to beer though)

Btw, Courvoiser VSOP is definitely a good value for 30€/liter even though it's a rather big player. Unfortunately, my order for Macallan 12 was cancelled. I receive the Coeur de Cognac by Rémy Martin though, looking forward to it (I don't think it was a bad purchase for 25€/0.7l).
Edited by b1os - 11/17/12 at 4:25pm
post #11335 of 13985
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDFS View Post

I like it for it's bitterness. I'm sure it sells in part due to the awesomely simple label. It's golden, you know?
Anyway, something you'd recommend instead? A bitter tasting pilsner kind of beer?
(Drinking a Chimay Blue at the moment, next will be a Grolsch)

Hmm. I was going to say that I strongly prefer something like Victory Prima Pils to Jever, but I just realized you're not in the U.S., and I'm guessing there's not much demand for American pilsners up there in Friesland.
post #11336 of 13985
Is the label golden, as well?

Sounds to be something I'd like (after reading up on it). But unless they have it in the bigger beer stores in Utrecht or Amsterdam (which I don't even frequent) I'm not sure I'll get to try it anytime soon.

I found this thread that describes the taste I'm looking for pretty well: http://beeradvocate.com/community/threads/bone-dry-pils.24433/
post #11337 of 13985
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDFS View Post

Is the label golden, as well?
Sounds to be something I'd like (after reading up on it). But unless they have it in the bigger beer stores in Utrecht or Amsterdam (which I don't even frequent) I'm not sure I'll get to try it anytime soon.
I found this thread that describes the taste I'm looking for pretty well: http://beeradvocate.com/community/threads/bone-dry-pils.24433/

Looks like this:



It's nothing special to look out for and definitely not worth paying extra for as an import--just a really decent pilsner. Turns out I've had most of the American plisners mentioned in that thread and very few of the European ones. Very gauche of me.
post #11338 of 13985
really, we're recommending Victory Prima Pils now? what has this thread come to...
post #11339 of 13985
Sidecar
2oz Courvoisier VSOP
1oz Cointreau
.75oz lemon juice
post #11340 of 13985
Lagunitas Lil Sumpin Sumpin.

Love this beer.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › What are you drinking right now?