or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Business, Careers & Education › Do you make money doing the thing you love?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Do you make money doing the thing you love? - Page 3

post #31 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas View Post
Same here. The issue for me is that what I love doing doesn't pay very well at all. And, I love doing many things, but none are the sort of thing that provides a stable flow of lucre.

Same here. I love film, ice hockey, travelling, the arts, food, etc.

Anything in there pay well (aside from hockey which, unfortunately, I'm not talented enough to play professionally)?
post #32 of 51
Sort of. I'm in the right field/industry, but my actual position isn't the most thrilling.
post #33 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connemara View Post
Sort of. I'm in the right field/industry, but my actual position isn't the most thrilling.

Let me guess:

Industry: Adult entertainment
Position: Fluffer
post #34 of 51
Gotta start somewhere.
post #35 of 51
Don't like what I do, but it pays well enough that I have plenty of F/O time.
post #36 of 51
There are very few professionals whose jobs I'm envious of, but tennis pros at filthy rich country clubs in the suburbs of Philadelphia would be one of them.
post #37 of 51
I do now. Everyday is a weekday to me now, seriously I could care less what day it is. But to get to the point, I had to do something for about almost a decade that I would cry sometimes I hated it so much. But sometimes you just have to do what has to be done to get where you want to get.
post #38 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekS View Post
I sell industrial dumpsters. what do you think?!?! haha

on a related note, my father has been "working for the man" for the past 25 years. He was a full time musician and a few years after i was born he got a day job and quit playing full time. Well, last week he quit his office job to take a contract playing music full time. more money, half the hours, and he's finally doing what he was born to do. needless to say im prud of the feller. A career change at 50 years old.

what a profession.
post #39 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekS View Post
I sell industrial dumpsters. what do you think?!?! haha

.

what I sell isn't much more exciting, in terms of a product. I love my work because of the intellectual challenges - B2B selling of big ticket items is like a complex chess game with large amounts of money involved, in my case, you throw in the international aspect and it becomes even more challenging.
post #40 of 51
I've purposely chosen a field I have no interest in, fearing I wouldn't have liked what I used to love anymore oncedoing it for a living. Will see how it turns out.
post #41 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by globetrotter View Post
what I sell isn't much more exciting, in terms of a product. I love my work because of the intellectual challenges - B2B selling of big ticket items is like a complex chess game with large amounts of money involved, in my case, you throw in the international aspect and it becomes even more challenging.

Can I ask how you got into that sort of sales? Did you start out selling paper or something?
post #42 of 51
Any semblance of passion or love for my career has been thoroughly and brutally beaten out of me over the years. Ultimately, I have realized that I wasted my life, and that quite possibly, the decisions I made as early as undergrad have forced me into a life that I may not be able to escape, and thus, I'll live a miserable life.

My attempts to leave the industry have been met by interviewers with serious doubts about whether or not I am capable of doing anything else.
post #43 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by housie View Post
Can I ask how you got into that sort of sales? Did you start out selling paper or something?

I had a skill, and taught that skill to people buying relevant equipment, then I got involved in the business side of the selling. once I had been selling that for a while, I shifted to something else, then again and again.

in my case, I tried to get a lot of experience in different territories, which helped me out.
post #44 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milpool View Post
Any semblance of passion or love for my career has been thoroughly and brutally beaten out of me over the years. Ultimately, I have realized that I wasted my life, and that quite possibly, the decisions I made as early as undergrad have forced me into a life that I may not be able to escape, and thus, I'll live a miserable life.

My attempts to leave the industry have been met by interviewers with serious doubts about whether or not I am capable of doing anything else.

You must be an engineer...
post #45 of 51
indeed, I do
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Business, Careers & Education
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Business, Careers & Education › Do you make money doing the thing you love?