or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Business, Careers & Education › Do you make money doing the thing you love?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Do you make money doing the thing you love?

post #1 of 51
Thread Starter 
My primary source of income isn't exactly a passion of mine, but I'm fortunate enough to make a little money on the side doing something I love. How many of you have made a career (or a buck) doing what makes you happy?
post #2 of 51
I don't know if it would be correct to say I do what I love, but I do love what I do, in terms of I am good at it, I enjoy the day to day work and the challenges and successes

very important for a happy life
post #3 of 51
I do.
post #4 of 51
Are you a pilot?
post #5 of 51
Let me know when a cannibus tester position opens up and I'll get back to you on that one.
post #6 of 51
I sell industrial dumpsters. what do you think?!?! haha

on a related note, my father has been "working for the man" for the past 25 years. He was a full time musician and a few years after i was born he got a day job and quit playing full time. Well, last week he quit his office job to take a contract playing music full time. more money, half the hours, and he's finally doing what he was born to do. needless to say im prud of the feller. A career change at 50 years old.
post #7 of 51
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekS View Post
I sell industrial dumpsters. what do you think?!?! haha

on a related note, my father has been "working for the man" for the past 25 years. He was a full time musician and a few years after i was born he got a day job and quit playing full time. Well, last week he quit his office job to take a contract playing music full time. more money, half the hours, and he's finally doing what he was born to do. needless to say im prud of the feller. A career change at 50 years old.


I love to hear stories like that. Good for him.
post #8 of 51
I do
post #9 of 51
I do. Can't imagine doing anything else. When the thrill is gone however, I'll do something else.
post #10 of 51
I am still in search of a position that will pay me to drink fine wine and spirits while eating at two and three Michelin star restaurants. I have yet to find a patron but am still searching so please let me know if you hear of something.
post #11 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post
I am still in search of a position that will pay me to drink fine wine and spirits while eating at two and three Michelin star restaurants. I have yet to find a patron but am still searching so please let me know if you hear of something.

dude, you have that job. people like me come around and would be happy to buy you meals all the time. all you have to do is buy from us.
post #12 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by globetrotter View Post
dude, you have that job. people like me come around and would be happy to buy you meals all the time. all you have to do is buy from us.



Good point. Usually though, it's a working breakfast or on the rubber chicken circuit for me.
post #13 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post


Good point. Usually though, it's a working breakfast or on the rubber chicken circuit for me.

you need to buy something from me.
post #14 of 51
To some extent I do .
post #15 of 51
Currently, no. My biggest fear is investing years into something I end up hating. My 2nd biggest is what I'm doing now: drifting aimlessly. Finished University, and I have the grades for pretty much anything. I have no desire to do med-school, and the same goes for law. (SF makes it sound like a horrible place to end up anyway haha). I've been thinking about doing Business School in a few years... I'm less interested in business, but I like the concept of actually having a skill set that will let me go where I want.... unlike my current social science degree.



Those of you who managed this work/love combination... I'm entirely jealous. Was it lucky happenstance? Or did you know what you loved... and made a career from it?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Business, Careers & Education
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Business, Careers & Education › Do you make money doing the thing you love?