or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › In Praise of Olive
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

In Praise of Olive - Page 4

post #46 of 113
Does anyone know who makes a pair of shoes in olive?
post #47 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by contactme_11 View Post

Does anyone know who makes a pair of shoes in olive?


I think the closest you might come RTW are the mossy/olivey suede loafers the Armoury offers.  At least they resolve to an olive color on my monitor.

post #48 of 113
I must more than a few -- well, more than a lot of -- odd coats ... half of which are some color of green ... mostly olives. When it comes to suits ... perhaps 10% are in olive tones.
post #49 of 113
Paul Smith has made olive shoes in the last couple of years.
post #50 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by james_timothy View Post

Paul Smith has made olive shoes in the last couple of years.
I draw the line at olive socks.
post #51 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSS View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by james_timothy View Post

Paul Smith has made olive shoes in the last couple of years.
I draw the line at olive socks.

Do you by chance have pictures of these odd jackets being worn? I recently acquired three olive SC's (various shades of green) two isaia and one PRL.I am wondering what to pair them with.
post #52 of 113

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles_ View Post


Do you by chance have pictures of these odd jackets being worn? I recently acquired three olive SC's (various shades of green) two isaia and one PRL.I am wondering what to pair them with.



I find it bizarre that you wouldn't have had some ideas about this at the time of purchase.

post #53 of 113
I
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprout View Post

 



I find it bizarre that you wouldn't have had some ideas about this at the time of purchase.



I have ideas, I would like to hear from someone who knows more than I do though smile.gif

for the record they were cheap.
post #54 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles_ View Post

Do you by chance have pictures of these odd jackets being worn? I recently acquired three olive SC's (various shades of green) two isaia and one PRL.I am wondering what to pair them with.
I used to post photos years ago at AskAndy ... was the first to post side by side comparisons of various Savile Row tailors. But honestly, I got tired of the 'advice.' At 60, I dress the way I dress, it's not changing.

It might take a bit of time but I'll consider pulling a few items from the wardrobe and laying out a coat, trousers, shirt, tie, socks, shoes etc. Of course, what it's paired with depends greatly on the jacket ... summer linen is quite different from winter tweed. This time of year it'll probably be something heavier ... hope that's okay. Will try to get one done tomorrow.
post #55 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bounder View Post

Olive odd jackets seem restricted to county/casual
For those with a country house or two that ain't so bad.
post #56 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSS View Post

I used to post photos years ago at AskAndy ... was the first to post side by side comparisons of various Savile Row tailors. But honestly, I got tired of the 'advice.' At 60, I dress the way I dress, it's not changing.
It might take a bit of time but I'll consider pulling a few items from the wardrobe and laying out a coat, trousers, shirt, tie, socks, shoes etc. Of course, what it's paired with depends greatly on the jacket ... summer linen is quite different from winter tweed. This time of year it'll probably be something heavier ... hope that's okay. Will try to get one done tomorrow.

Why thank you! Its a colour I dont see often, so its nice to see it done well.
post #57 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSS View Post

I draw the line at olive socks.

Hey now, I was just wearing olive socks with my pair of olive linen-cotton trousers (+ alden suede chukkas). Leave me olive socks out of this!

I did just shuck them to do Halloween preparations. Spray paint in khakis and an old blue OCBD? What fall is for.
post #58 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by james_timothy View Post

Hey now, I was just wearing olive socks with my pair of olive linen-cotton trousers (+ alden suede chukkas). Leave me olive socks out of this!
I did just shuck them to do Halloween preparations. Spray paint in khakis and an old blue OCBD? What fall is for.
No, no no ... I'll wear olive socks ... I draw the line there ... no olive shoes.

As for posting photos will have to wait until I get back to a house with a camera ... perhaps on Tuesday evening.
post #59 of 113
Back in the days of my youth, I think olive was a more popular color. The olive corduroy jacket was as common and as much a menswear staple as the navy blazer, and olive suits were fairly common. My first suit was an olive-gray job, and I wouldn't mind another in that color if I had occasion to wear suits more often. As it is, I have an olive H&S shetland tweed jacket and an olive Porter & Harding Solway cloth jacket (both from Chan). I have a number of pairs of cotton twill and corduroy trousers in olive and one pair of worsted trousers in olive-gray. In addition, I have one olive-colored "safari" styled sports shirt (has epaulets) from RL that I am fond of. I am wearing olive socks at this moment. Obviously, I like the color, still.
Edited by JLibourel - 10/24/11 at 8:27pm
post #60 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLibourel View Post

Back in the days of my youth, I think olive was a more popular color. The olive corduroy jacket was as common and as much a menswear staple as the navy blazer, and olive suits were fairly common...

That's interesting, Jan. The olive cord sportcoat was just as common as the blazer? Was it sort of a knocking-about-town-and-campus garment while the blazer was more a garment for heading-into-mixed-company-there'll-be-older-folks-present?

I do think olive is much underused these days. Great color for suburbia or urban Fridays if you get the fabric right. The lovat green flannel 6x3 in the middle of Tutee's LL post here strikes me as a versatile color and fabric.

I also like the green dress on the woman in the first plate.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › In Praise of Olive