or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › In Praise of Olive
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

In Praise of Olive - Page 2

post #16 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by aj_del View Post
Will we be having a dedicated thread for each and every color ?

I have a feeling this one might be the proverbial jumping of the shark.
post #17 of 113
I'm not a fan of olive. Besides, it looks awful on me.
post #18 of 113
A bluish olive and heather greens looks very good on people with fair skin especially when combined with blue, pink and or purple. I used to find an olive cotton suit far more practical than a tan one. It doesn't show marks and the wrinkles aren't as obvious.

Muted greens - or olive, were very big at the Pitti show in Florence in February. Next fall just about all of you guys will be looking at olive sport coats, especially with a subtle plaid pattern, with a whole new appreciation. Usually these trends last for 2-3 years so it would be a good time to buy one and to look current.
post #19 of 113
This is a styleforum and a sub forum on men's clothing. Where else is someone supposed to discuss colors for clothing? The selection of color and the right colors for you is very important to looking your best.

I for one, find these various "In Praise of _____" sub forums very inspiring and filled with good suggestions.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Unrefinery View Post
I have a feeling this one might be the proverbial jumping of the shark.
post #20 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy View Post
I for one, find these various "In Praise of _____" sub forums very inspiring and filled with good suggestions.

I agree, and have contributed to others, but my prediction about this particular one stands.
post #21 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy View Post
Muted greens - or olive, were very big at the Pitti show in Florence in February. Next fall just about all of you guys will be looking at olive sport coats, especially with a subtle plaid pattern, with a whole new appreciation.

In London a couple of weeks ago there were many olive sport coats to be seen in the wild. To my eye, the most common color of sports coats among those worth noticing.

What does that mean? I have no idea. At the time, I chalked it up the British countryside ideal.
post #22 of 113
Don't fool yourself; not even in the same league as navy and grey.
post #23 of 113
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurfedGomer View Post
Like the color but have to agree that it is seldom seen in a flattering light. As a suit it seems like a color that doesn't lends itself to too many color combinations and probably is why not many people resort to olive as a go to pick.

Nobody said it was as versatile as navy or gray. There is a place for olive still.
post #24 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy View Post
A bluish olive and heather greens looks very good on people with fair skin especially when combined with blue, pink and or purple. I used to find an olive cotton suit far more practical than a tan one. It doesn't show marks and the wrinkles aren't as obvious.
It would be great to see some pics of a bluish olive tone, it sounds enticing.
post #25 of 113
I was going to post a question on how to pair an olive grenadine tie... And realized: White shirt or light blue shirt + navy or charcoal or mid-gray suit + black or brown shoes, etc.

So yeah, I like olive as a compliment to navy or gray, but not as the dominant color of an outfit.
post #26 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurfedGomer View Post
It would be great to see some pics of a bluish olive tone, it sounds enticing.

Bookster has several fabrics that would seem to fall into that category: http://www.tweed-jacket.com/CLOTH%20...LERY/index.htm
post #27 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonneker View Post
Don't fool yourself; not even in the same league as navy and grey.

And brown.
post #28 of 113
Olive suit, White shirt, Grenadine tie... is anyone else craving a martini right now?
post #29 of 113
Since autumn has hit the northeastern US, I thought I would revive this thread by posting this:

467

More of a forest or dark bottle green than olive, but still in the spirit of the thread, I think.
post #30 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim_horton View Post

No, next we'll have the backlash: "Navy is overrated."



Well... it is!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › In Praise of Olive