or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Leather cracking on EGs - please advise
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Leather cracking on EGs - please advise - Page 6

post #76 of 185
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_0hczSirzY

Straight from the horse's mouth. She's on records saying they last for "years and years".

It's either bollocks, or your shoes are faulty. Either way, they should be concerned.

However, it seems they couldn't give a toss!
post #77 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORE View Post
Sounds like they've outsourced their customer service to Nigeria

Seriously tho, was the creasing there when you sent them in for refurbishment (I'm assuming a resole)? If so I would think they would have replaced that section of leather during the process. If not, would that even be an option at this point?

I'm pretty sure they don't replace any part of the uppers during a recraft.
post #78 of 185
This thread brought to mind this pair on sale by a fellow member. Fresh soles, cracked uppers. Why wouldn't EG replace the cracked parts? I blame the POW and his cracked Lobbs.
post #79 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORE View Post
This thread brought to mind this pair on sale by a fellow member. Fresh soles, cracked uppers. Why wouldn't EG replace the cracked parts? I blame the POW and his cracked Lobbs.

The expense of replacing parts of the uppers would cost more than new shoes.
post #80 of 185
Aren't creases normal in non shell cordovan shoes?

i also share the sentiment that shoes are suppsed to last awhile, but clothing doesn't last forever, expensive or not
post #81 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by sartorialini View Post
If you say so.

My experience -which involves Zegna, Ferragamo and Santoni- is the opposite. Italian shoes fit much more snugly than British shoes. But hey maybe we are talking of different brands/ types of shoes, e.g, Armani sneakers etc

+1
post #82 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabiesinfrance View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_0hczSirzY

Straight from the horse's mouth. She's on records saying they last for "years and years".

It's either bollocks, or your shoes are faulty. Either way, they should be concerned.

However, it seems they couldn't give a toss!

No one from any company can ever provide a time estimate for how long shoes will last, measured in units of time. Its a function of the shoe, AND how often its worn, AND what conditions its worn in, AND how its cared for. The maker can only control the first variable, and even then not entirely.

None of these 1000 dollar shoes are magic unicorns. Get your heads around that.

They are expensive luxury items, not value items. If you want value buy corrected grain leather and replace every 5 years. But you lose the nice looking leather. Tradeoff.
post #83 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel222 View Post
The expense of replacing parts of the uppers would cost more than new shoes.

However, I read that replacing any parts of the uppers that need replacing is standard for some Northampton makers on their re-crafts...
post #84 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ich_Dien View Post
However, I read that replacing any parts of the uppers that need replacing is standard for some Northampton makers on their re-crafts...

The plot thickens.
post #85 of 185
magic unicorns sounds more plausible
post #86 of 185
I really don't know why it is a big deal.
My Alden cracking like crazy after 3 years of wear.
I think the famous Prince Charles Lobb shoes cracked like hell, however it lasted 20? 30yrs?
After 5 years wear then have a small crack like that? I think it is just normal.
Most english shoe factories buy leather from the same company, so may be OP should consider not buying any english shoe at all.
By the way, I think water and heat are mostly the cause of cracking.
post #87 of 185
[quote=Fishball;4253872]

My Alden cracking like crazy after 3 years of wear.

Do you wear them when your are feeling crazy too?

Most english shoe factories buy leather from the same company, so may be OP should consider not buying any english shoe at all.

This - Not true.
post #88 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northampton Novice View Post

This - Not true.

Even if it were true, the number of shoes cut out of a single hide has a huge impact on the quality of the end product. That is most definitely not consistent across all levels of English shoes.
post #89 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joenobody0 View Post
Even if it were true, the number of shoes cut out of a single hide has a huge impact on the quality of the end product. That is most definitely not consistent across all levels of English shoes.

Or Indeed Italian/French/Spainsh manufacturers...

But to be honest even across the same hide the quality of the leather can vary significantly for the purposes of making fine footwear.
post #90 of 185
And always, always...as with any mass produced object...there is the pressure to maximize profit, minimize costs. Go back to page one of this discussion...blocking out any awareness of the brand name or the price paid...does that look like top quality leather to anyone? Really?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Leather cracking on EGs - please advise