or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Summer Double Breasted Suit: Poll
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Summer Double Breasted Suit: Poll

post #1 of 52
Thread Starter 
I want a linen DB suit for summer. What color do you think looks best? I'd like to be able to wear the jacket by itself probably with off-white linen or cotton pants. The W. Bill book has lots of colors, but I was thinking of either mid-blue (it's like a faded navy), tobacco brown or khaki. But, their khakis all look kinda lackluster, too gray-eige for me. And I don't want something too mustard-yellow. Bone color would be nice too, but I already have a cotton suit in that. I also thought of a darker brownish gray like the last image, but I think it's in another book. Scabal I think and it might have other silk blend or something in it. Blue suit is not linen fwiw. Just a reference for DB style (sans ticket pocket). Any other cloth I should consider for a summer suit?







post #2 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker View Post
I want a linen DB suit for summer. What color do you think looks best? I'd like to be able to wear the jacket by itself probably with off-white linen or cotton pants. The W. Bill book has lots of colors, but I was thinking of either mid-blue (it's like a faded navy), tobacco brown or khaki. But, their khakis all look kinda lackluster, too gray-eige for me. And I don't want something too mustard-yellow. Bone color would be nice too, but I already have a cotton suit in that. I also thought of a darker brownish gray like the last image, but I think it's in another book. Scabal I think and it might have other silk blend or something in it. Blue suit is not linen fwiw. Just a reference for DB style (sans ticket pocket). Any other cloth I should consider for a summer suit?

I think the fact that you want to wear the jacket with off-white pants makes choice #3 less optimal.

So I'd go with choice #1. I think all other things being equal, suits look better in blue than brown. Save the brown for next summer...
post #3 of 52
tobacco or go home.
post #4 of 52
I was thinking of a double-breasted suit in Solaro for summer if I could get that cloth. I think that it would be a killer outfit.
post #5 of 52
Too hot; don't do it.

If I were to do it, would get light, light gray.
post #6 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manton View Post
Too hot; don't do it.

If I were to do it, would get light, light gray.

This advice needs to be tempered by the fact that you are a hot weather lightweight.
post #7 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by whnay. View Post
tobacco or go home.

+ 3 patches.
post #8 of 52
Thread Starter 
Even for San Francisco, where it's rarely above 70 all summer? The other option was light gray Fresco or Cripspaire, but then I thought the jacket alone would look weird.
post #9 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post
This advice needs to be tempered by the fact that you are a hot weather lightweight.

Linen as a suiting wears less cool that cotton or tropical wool at least on me. Shirting is another matter.

So DB linen would just not be wearable in a really hot environment.
post #10 of 52
I voted for the lightest color. Had there been an even lighter color (cream?), I'd have voted for that. edit: I wear my SB khaki linen-silk suit jacket as an odd jacket during the summer. I like to wear it with white linen-blend jeans as an odd jacket. The jacket is fully lined. --Andre
post #11 of 52
This one breaks up nicely; I wear the coat with cream gab or white cotton trousers or white jeans and the trousers with an off-white linen SB sport coat.

post #12 of 52
A nice brown-grey/beige. You wouldn't mind lighter jackets in summer.
post #13 of 52
Seersucker!!!!

Ok, I picked the tobacco, because I think that is a great color and I wish I could find something like that. I would also volunteer a lighter than the faded navy, but not quite a sky/baby blue.

Mike
post #14 of 52
I'd opt for a lighter, more saturated shade of blue.
post #15 of 52
Blue DRINKS up the sun. I love my blue linen but in the summer time it's an evening suit, period.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Summer Double Breasted Suit: Poll