• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SwiftLearner

Reaction score
Levi's Vintage Clothing is a separate part of the Levi's line.

Also, unless you have trunk legs, I'd consider the 511 Raw Selvedge, too.

dreamtripper

Reaction score
Do you know if Levis selvedge denim is similar to regular demim when it's washed and dryed or does it shrink any more/less?

jamesbond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just saw these on the site today too. Anyone know what the deal is with them, are they LVC? I'm not seeing the "xx" tag on the leather so I'm assuming they're not, however they say they're made in the USA from cone mills denim and they're priced pretty close to what LVC is selling at.

officeboy

Reaction score
One thing I hate about Levi's is that they never tell you what they are selling you. I was in a Levis store the other day and found 2 pairs of nearly the same 514's, both looked raw"ish" neither was selvedge.
But one was priced at $34 the other priced at $108. I scoured the tags and looked for any reason why I would want to pay more for one and the only difference I could see was that one has a nicer looking dark brown leather tag. They really should work harder on telling people why they should spend more money. I mean I was there to buy pants and walked out confused.

jangie

Reaction score
I put in an order on Friday and it looks like I'll be getting them on Wednesday.

RE: xx, i think that means Shrink To Fit as seen here.

Najee D.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jamesbond
I just saw these on the site today too. Anyone know what the deal is with them, are they LVC? I'm not seeing the "xx" tag on the leather so I'm assuming they're not, however they say they're made in the USA from cone mills denim and they're priced pretty close to what LVC is selling at.

Definitely not LVC, which ironically, isn't completely made in USA anymore.

jangie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jangie
I put in an order on Friday and it looks like I'll be getting them on Wednesday.

For what it's worth, I just got them. The tag does not have the XX after 501, and yet it has a paper attached to it saying that it's STF, even though there was absolutely no mention of that on the site. I already have a question open to the site about whether that's sanforized, but it's starting to look like the answer to that is a no.

Ricardo Malocchio

Reaction score
For what it's worth, I just got them. The tag does not have the XX after 501, and yet it has a paper attached to it saying that it's STF, even though there was absolutely no mention of that on the site. I already have a question open to the site about whether that's sanforized, but it's starting to look like the answer to that is a no.
I received a pair of the raw selvedge 505s. They also did not have "XX". However, there was no "STF" tag either. Instead, there was a "Rigid" tag and also a "Made in the USA" tag, and citations to Cone Mill North Carolina on the pocket.

I don't know what I've got! I love them, they fit great (and true to size - I have other 505s), but I'm concerned as to whether I can get them wet...

jangie

Reaction score
Ricardo, where do you have that Cone Mill text? I've looked everywhere on my pair of 501s and can't find any reference to Cone Mill.

Here's to hoping they didn't send me the wrong pair. It was especially strange because the tag with the price (next to the patch) came off as I was taking the jeans off. I know they were tight, but usually I have to get at those with a pair of scissors.

Edit:
Even weirder, the site lists it under 501 Original rather than 501 STF. So bizarre... I definitely paid $178, and the pocket stitching color definitely matches that model 501 that it's supposed to...

johnnylazar

Reaction score

XX doesn't mean shrink to fit, it was the name for the cone mills denim that was used early on. When they got rid of selvedge the denim was called xxx. There are two types of the made in the usa. There is selvedge and non selvedge. The non selvedge is $98. They are made in the us of imported fabric. The made in the usa that are $178 are cone mills denim and are made in LA. I think for the extra money it would be better to spring for lvc. All the lvc that is sold in levi's stores is $250. But they are made in the usa and not in turkey like some of the lvc sold at cultizm. I bought the 505 and 501 made in the usa, they're nice, I do get a discount so the lvc is only about $45 more, so i ended up picking up 2 pairs of those, and I'm much happier with those, I'll still keep my made in usa's but with LVC you get more bang for your buck.

Ricardo Malocchio

Reaction score
Ricardo, where do you have that Cone Mill text? I've looked everywhere on my pair of 501s and can't find any reference to Cone Mill.
As I was putting on the "raw" 505s last night for another round of breaking in, I noticed it read something like "Denim made in Greensboro NC" on the inner left pocket. I still have all the tags and I'll double-check tonight to see if there's a direct reference to Cone Mills anywhere.

BTW, the rear paper tag also popped off of mine the first night I was wearing them (and still deciding on whether to return). My stitching also matches the web shots with the lighter color threading in certain areas, and they otherwise match the shots on the website in all respects that I can tell.

jangie

Reaction score
Thanks Ricardo!
Something that was cool: I left a pair in my cart for the last week or so and they emailed me saying that the cart was about to expire, and gave me 15% off (I was able to switch out the pair for a different size, and it seemed to be off the entire cart! No free shipping though). I'm going to take advantage of this and try and return my pair to a Levi's store sometime this week; the pair I got were too small anyways. Here's to hoping I don't get any hassles over that tag falling off; all the stuff on the UPC matches up with the jeans, so I don't think there's any real reason for them to complain about it.

johnnylazar

Reaction score
That'll be fine without the tags. Not a big deal, we can do a return and put the tags back on, so no worries.

jangie

Reaction score
The return was easy! I was worried because I thought the guy might think I switched out the jeans for a less expensive pair on return, but not even a question.

Been doing some looking at LVCs. I'm not going to be in the market for another pair of jeans for a while, but the 1947 and 1933s look great. What're your favorites, Johnny?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads