• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Florsheim by Duckie Brown Cordovan Shoe & Boot Thread

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
During the recent Brooks Brothers sale, I purchased the tan cordovan longwing made by Duckie "Duckey" Brown. I got them in the mail today and here is what they look like:
IMGP4607.jpg
IMGP4608.jpg
IMGP4610.jpg
IMGP4613.jpg
IMGP4614.jpg
IMGP4615.jpg
As you can see from the various closeups, the leather looks poor for Cordovan and its made by Horween to boot. The color is "tan" but looks really flat for shell; no luster. The dark spots on the vamp seemed to have been caused from excess/leaking tanning oils. Also, the right heel is as wide as a softball. Shoes appear to be in brand new condition so I have no explanation for this. The quality seems to be several notches below Alden. Stitching is loose in some areas and the shoes smell like lacquer, presumably from the sole dressing. As some other posters previously mentioned, these are in fact made in India. One plus is that these shoes fit great. SO question, should I keep these? I want a pair of Alden LWs in whiskey but I am not ready to pay $650 for a pair. After taxes, shipping, etc I paid ~$360 out of pocket for these. They retail for $575 before taxes & shipping on the BB website

Sizing:

Size down a half size, they run large. I take the same size in DB as I do barrie, trubalance, and grant last

Last edited:

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They look like a chocolate cookie. Or maybe I'm just hungry.

xudisco07

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Moo
ffffuuuu.gif
send those things back to where they came from.

+1. I was not impressed with their cordovan shoes at all. My only experience is with the BB C&J cordovan boots. C&J were so much nicer.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NAMOR
the shoes smell like lacquer, presumably from the sole dressing.
I stepped out of my room for a minute and when I came back in, the smell of lacquer just filled my nostrils. Damn, damn, damn, shoes fit great. But thats the only thing going for this pair. I hate self-induced shoe drama

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just return them, man. Obviously, they aren't working out for you... too many doubts.

Newlaw

Reaction score
So what is the future line-up for BB? Right now I thought it was something along the lines of:

Cordovan = Alden
Peal & Co = C&J
Dress Calf = ??

What is the new line-up?

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Newlaw
So what is the future line-up for BB? Right now I thought it was something along the lines of: Cordovan = Alden/Duckey Brown
laugh.gif
Peal & Co = C&J Dress Calf = Allen Edmonds What is the new line-up?

Originally Posted by acecow
Just return them, man. Obviously, they aren't working out for you... too many doubts.
already boxed up

Newlaw

Reaction score
Originally Posted by NAMOR
already boxed up

lol wow. Thanks for filling in the line-up.

When I first opened the thread and saw the picture, I immediately thought "corrected grain??" Sorry they didn't work out for you.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would have kept them.

isshinryu101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am of the belief that the quality of Horween shell cordovan has GREATLY declined over the years. I'm not sure if it's only certain batches, but I've een some real CRAP shell in recent years. I had a pair of new AE MacNeil's that had the dullest looking shell I had seen. No amount of brushing could bring it up, so they got sold.

Even some of the Alden shell I've seen from more recent models seems to be of lower quality than older shell used by Alden. The more recent Alden shell I've handled wasn't in the same class as the old Florsheim v-cleat shell, WHICH REALLY POPS!

If someone was trying to buy some cordo long-wings, I would HAVE to suggest just getting a pair of old Florsheim v-cleats, or an older Alden model. Unless it's NOS, the vintage shells are a great bargain, I think. Florsheim v-cleats with minimal wear run from $125-$175 on ebay, and vintage Aldens maybe 2x that. ALSO, the construction was great then.

As for the construction issues, what we see here is EXACTLY what we should expect from China or India made shoes.

isshinryu101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Man Of Lint
I would have kept them.

With so many cordo longwing options available, may I ask why you'd keep them?

The Deacon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
decisions.gif
If you aired them out for a few weeks and then used Saphir wouldn't that have handled the smell and provided the requisite shine? Just askin', that's a great price for new tan shell.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads