or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › The Official Hair Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Official Hair Thread - Page 76

post #1126 of 1139

I honestly don't think the SS will work for me. I would need a shit load of products to keep it in that form. 

post #1127 of 1139
Can anyone recommend a good men's shampoo? I'm looking for one without all the crap ingredients like sodium laureth sulfate. I don't think I want silicone in it, either. At the store, they all seem to have the exact same things in them. Thanks! icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
post #1128 of 1139
Dr. Bronner's soaps. The downside to a lot of the all natural soaps is their high pH relative to the natural pH of your hair and skin. Your hair and skin's natural pH is between 5-6. Natural soap is generally around 9. What this does it makes the hair's cuticle open up, which makes it kind of frizzy, dry, and waxy feeling. Bronner's also makes a citrus rinse, which is lemon juice based to shift the pH back down after using their soaps on your hair. This is what I use.
post #1129 of 1139
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post

Dr. Bronner's soaps. The downside to a lot of the all natural soaps is their high pH relative to the natural pH of your hair and skin. Your hair and skin's natural pH is between 5-6. Natural soap is generally around 9. What this does it makes the hair's cuticle open up, which makes it kind of frizzy, dry, and waxy feeling. Bronner's also makes a citrus rinse, which is lemon juice based to shift the pH back down after using their soaps on your hair. This is what I use.

Thanks!

Also, anyone try Paul Mitchell Double Hitter? It's a 2-in-1 shampoo conditioner and is sulfate free.
post #1130 of 1139
Well, I went back to the part on the right side (hair goes to left) like the first pic below. I know it's going against the swirl at my crown, but this is the way the front seems to want to go. If I have to choose between the front or back, I'd rather have the front looking the best.

I got a much-needed haircut last night, but I had it parted on the left when it was cut. Does it matter if I change which side I part it on after getting it cut. It's just a typical, men's tapered cut with a side part. I'm rocking the right-side part today, and it seems to be working.



post #1131 of 1139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hair_Dude View Post

Thanks!

Also, anyone try Paul Mitchell Double Hitter? It's a 2-in-1 shampoo conditioner and is sulfate free.

2 in 1's are usually garbage. Check to see if there are silicones in it. Also, Burt's Bees has some decent all natural shampoos. pH will still bean issue in most. I would check online to see if you can find out what it is, or email the company and ask. Sometimes doing a search for an MSDS can reveal that info.
post #1132 of 1139
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post

2 in 1's are usually garbage. Check to see if there are silicones in it. Also, Burt's Bees has some decent all natural shampoos. pH will still bean issue in most. I would check online to see if you can find out what it is, or email the company and ask. Sometimes doing a search for an MSDS can reveal that info.

I gave the Paul Mitchell a try and it seems nice, but there IS silicone in it. I've noticed that after washing my hair in the shower, my finger tips have this annoying feeling like there is something on them. They feel like they are coated in something and maybe a bit sticky. It's hours later and my hands still feel this way. I'm thinking this is because of the silicone?

Any opinion on the Aveda Pureformance Shampoo? It appears to be sulfate and silicone free. I use their pureformance grooming clay and like it a lot (besides the price).
post #1133 of 1139
I don't have any experience with Aveda, but they don't tell you what's in it so that's can't be a good thing.
post #1134 of 1139
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post

I don't have any experience with Aveda, but they don't tell you what's in it so that's can't be a good thing.

Yeah, I don't like that they don't have the full ingredient list on their website. I did find a review online and it looks like there aren't any sulfates or silicone. It's so hard to find a decent shampoo without the "bad" stuff. It's seems like they all have the same ingredients.

post #1135 of 1139
It'd be nice to see a clearer shot of the ingredients, however you're forgetting about pH. If it has a pH over 6 it will be useless in terms of hair manageability without adding some sort of mildly acidic rinse.
post #1136 of 1139
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post

It'd be nice to see a clearer shot of the ingredients, however you're forgetting about pH. If it has a pH over 6 it will be useless in terms of hair manageability without adding some sort of mildly acidic rinse.

That was the best shot I could find, but I figured I'd try it and see. I can post a better pic when I get mine, if anyone's interested. I'm assuming Aveda knows what they're doing as far as pH is concerned, bu ya never know.
post #1137 of 1139
You don't know there have been blogs on this, pH is all over the place. More so with all natural stuff.
post #1138 of 1139

i posted this same question in the SWD hair thread but figured it can't hurt to post here also...

 

my hair does absolutely nothing without product in it.  it basically falls straight forward and a little to the side.  so for the past 10 years or so i have kept it short on the sides (#2 usually) and a bit longer on the top and used a little bit of B&B Sumotech or Redken Men Texture Control putty to give the top some texture.

 

this summer i let the top grow out and i really like the look...the top is about 3.5" and blended into the sides which are buzzed with a #2.  i style it with a bit of quiff in the front.  the dilemma however, is what to do with it when at the beach.  when dry and product free my hair looks terrible. it falls straight forward and has no life to it.  i can wear a hat but i'm just curious what some other guys do in similar situations.

post #1139 of 1139

Hi guys, I was hoping you guys could help me find a hair style that suits me. In the past I've just gone with the way it falls, and more recently, I've been adding mousse to keep it off my forehead. I am planning on keeping a permanent 5 o'clock shadow, if that makes any difference.

The hair is thick, and as it grows out, it goes from slightly wavy to full on curly. Also, the wave in the front is natural and permanent. Thanks for your help.

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Health & Body
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › The Official Hair Thread