• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Most versatile clothes

milanb

Reaction score
Hi,

What are the most versatile pieces of clothing that a college student can get? Listing brands is bonus points. I don't care about being original or anything, just looking cool.

Thanks

Stylin-1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Animation-Glitter-1.jpg

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by milanb
Hi, What are the most versatile pieces of clothing that a college student can get? Listing brands is bonus points. I don't care about being original or anything, just looking cool. Thanks
clean underwear. actually, at your age i would spend more $ on nice underwear then anything else. a pair of $60-$100 skivvies is bound to impress bitches studying nietzsche and doing ode's.

milanb

Reaction score
Underwear is now on the list, but I've got money to burn so what else?

dinogj

Reaction score
Hi, best things to get as a college student:

Alchahol
good grades
drugs

for dressing well:

solid pair of boots you can take to hell and back. (spend most money here) ( use LL Bean katahdins)
a cheap as **** pair of levi 501's you can ruin with w/e **** your getting into
plain tee shirts that fit well (I prefer white)

if you get all this and it all fits (for right fit read this forum more) your now better dressed than 99% of college males, most of whom either dont give a **** or try too hard and fail. Trying too hard looks bad too. Make it look and feel natural.

Edit: With this getup you can expand your style anywhere... rock and roll, greaser, classic americana, military...just add a jacket... zing and now you too can stay fresh without spending too much $$ cause your supposed to spend it on drugs, alchy and girls.

milanb

Reaction score
I live in NYC, don't drink or do drugs, and need a hobby. The people of NYC I think are a bit more fashion forward than I am and I think the students are too. So those boots are on the list, already have the tees and I have some uniqlo jeans that I think are good. But I hunger for more clothing

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by milanb
Underwear is now on the list, but I've got money to burn so what else?

a pair of nice shoes. no mall brand **** ... a nice pair of shoes. spend at least $400.

dinogj

Reaction score
NYC...this is going to sound hard...but DONT spend your money all at once, your taste WILL ABSOLUTELY 100% CHANGE as time goes on. Your going to grow into your style and honestly your probably going to regret alot of your purchases early on. Just spend your $$ on food, and save your cash for later.

brad-t

Bae Blade
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dinogj
Hi, best things to get as a college student:

Alchahol
good grades
drugs

for dressing well:

solid pair of boots you can take to hell and back. (spend most money here) ( use LL Bean katahdins)
a cheap as **** pair of levi 501's you can ruin with w/e **** your getting into
plain tee shirts that fit well (I prefer white)

if you get all this and it all fits (for right fit read this forum more) your now better dressed than 99% of college males, most of whom either dont give a **** or try too hard and fail. Trying too hard looks bad too. Make it look and feel natural.

Edit: With this getup you can expand your style anywhere... rock and roll, greaser, classic americana, military...just add a jacket... zing and now you too can stay fresh without spending too much $$ cause your supposed to spend it on drugs, alchy and girls.

Hey, this is great advice if you don't actually give a **** about clothes or style.

dinogj

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whatever123
a pair of nice shoes. no mall brand **** ... a nice pair of shoes. spend at least $400.

I wholeheartedly agree with this. I have never regretted any (non sneaker) shoe I have ever gotten, if you really feel like spending money, spend it here and dont hold back. (wing&horn x dayton service boot.....oh the memories.)

matt22616

Reaction score
Go get some MTM OCBDs at the flagship Brooks Brothers if you're in NYC. Most versatile colors are blue and white. Wash cold and hang dry. Five of each should last you a long time.

High quality but basic knits are also a great way to 'dress up' the OCBDs. I'd go w/ John Smedley if you've got money to burn. Thin merinos and cottons are easy to layer.

APC denim.

Start a collection of classic outerwear. I've got a Barbour Beaufort, Gloverall duffle coat, and Baracuta G9 slim fit.

Nice chukkas are key. I'd suggest Loake Pimilcos w/ a dainite sole for NYC/college.

Bam. College wardrobe complete.

dinogj

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Uncontrol
Hey, this is great advice if you don't actually give a **** about clothes or style.

someone brought out the fangs.

It doesnt sound like he actually has a direction yet so lets get him set strait and he can figure it out from there.

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dinogj
I wholeheartedly agree with this. I have never regretted any (non sneaker) shoe I have ever gotten, if you really feel like spending money, spend it here and dont hold back. (wing&horn x dayton service boot.....oh the memories.)
i think a pair of sneaker would work fine. again, non of the mall brand **** brands. something like the maison martin margiela replica's, alexander mcqueen calamity trainers, or one of the cp variants would work well. i would have totally loved to wear that **** when i was in undergrad school. but a nice pair of boots would be nice too.

milanb

Reaction score
Originally Posted by handsometigers
Definitely need a great jacket. Hard to give you recommendations without you stating what style you like. Need a hobby? Skateboard!
smile.gif

I'm skinny and 5'11".

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads