• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Grill: Charcoal or Propane?

Pieceofsand

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Basically I'm looking to buy a grill for my house for the on coming summer. We're barely hitting spring here in Northern Michigan. Looking for something very basic for a household of 3, and hoping to spend around $150-ish. I want one that's going to last. It isn't very much money but that's irrelevant from the topic. ' What would you guys pick? Charcoal for great taste? Or the Gas for convenience? I can use some suggestions. Also let me know what you have at home and why you picked your choice. Thanks folks
smile.gif

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My family has a gas grill at home. I would suggest you look for a grill that has cast iron grates. They are the extremely durable and will retain the most heat, ensuring a nice even sear.

Lighthouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't get charcoal if you have young kids.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I prefer charcoal but use propane mostly for convenience and health.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Lump charcoal, FTW.

BP348

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lighthouse
Don't get charcoal if you have young kids.

Why not?

I actually have both but only use the charcoal grill. Never would have bought the propane grill but my wife wanted it for hurricane season.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
I prefer charcoal but use propane mostly for convenience and health.

Charcoal gives better heat but gas is so easy and convenient.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gas

Runningman411

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pieceofsand
Basically I'm looking to buy a grill for my house for the on coming summer. We're barely hitting spring here in Northern Michigan.

Looking for something very basic for a household of 3, and hoping to spend around $150-ish. I want one that's going to last. It isn't very much money but that's irrelevant from the topic. '

What would you guys pick? Charcoal for great taste? Or the Gas for convenience? I can use some suggestions.

Also let me know what you have at home and why you picked your choice.

Thanks folks
smile.gif

Will you be grilling mostly or actually BBQ-ing? If you're only grilling, gas wins by a landslide. You do lose some of the smoky taste but it's a lot better than lighting the charcoal, waiting for the charcoal to be ready and then disposing of the ashes. Tastewise, a charcoal pit with wood chips is admittedly much better.

Pieceofsand

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
BBQ and grill equally. There is a meat specialty store where I work that have a large selection of meat with homemade sauce that are delicious.

I think I will stick with charcoal based on the votes, plus I'm all for the taste.

aphextwin07

Reaction score
obviously charcoal tastes better, the only reason for the existence of propane is the relative convenience.

Lighthouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BP348
Why not?

I actually have both but only use the charcoal grill. Never would have bought the propane grill but my wife wanted it for hurricane season.

The coals stay hot for hours; they look like they have cooled down. Grills knocked over; pets; hot coals; etc.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i started on charcoal, had propane for probably 20 years, went back to charcoal. buy a chimney and starting the fire really is a breeze. takes 20 minutes instead of 10. big whoop.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads