• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Beginnings of a Charvet Habit....

goldknots

Reaction score
First time in Paris and today was my last day. Went to Charvet to browse because I considered it one of the sights I had to see. Before it was all said and done, I ordered a custom shirt and picked up a tie to match. I can feel an addiction forming already (thankfully I think the price points will act as a good barrier). Picked a rounded spread collar (it was so new they didn't even have a catalogue number for it yet) with double button barrel cuffs and hidden front placket. Salesman was extra cool, turns out he used to DJ and loves hip hop music such as myself!

Should have it in 5 weeks, the wait will be tense!

Question, how do people care for their Charvet shirts? Wash at home or send out for service?

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
Derek Loves Charvet.
inlove.gif
I hand wash mine, hang dry. I personally dont like sending any shirts out for something i can do better myself.
wink.gif

Their shirts and ties are tops. One day ill score me some Charvet Pajamas.
biggrin.gif

Omega Man

Reaction score
Watch out for their ties. They are well made, but they are very delicate. Let's see the shirt when you get it.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ties self-destruct after 2.5 wears. Fantastic business model.

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If there was ease of availability, my wardrobe would be full of Charvet shirts. Would like to see your shirt, post pics when you get it.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I remember a young Spoo making his first set of SF posts regarding his trip to Charvet....

designprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FWIW I bought a woven Charvet on sale despite the reputation for fragility -its still works fine.
I also bought a Zegna at the same time, a brand that usually is quite sturdy -thing threds just by looking at it. Hit or mis seems to be my experience. Good that you had a decent experience- some of these upper end retailers are notorius for leaving customers in the wake of their snobbery.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Ties self-destruct after 2.5 wears. Fantastic business model.

Im wearing a charvet today that ive had for 6 years....honest to god it looks exactly like the day i bought it. Ive owned probably 20 -30 charvet ties and have only had a problem with 1...and it was bought on sale at saks and it already had some pretty bad pulls on the back.

Keep in mind though, I use a special hand lotion and white gloves when tying them, also, I dont really "wear" them, just stand in front of the mirror without moving and admire them around my neck.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

JohnShaft

Reaction score
"...I use a special hand lotion and white gloves when tying them...dont really "wear" them, just stand in front of the mirror without moving and admire them..."

You know, I so rarely see people that follow the instructions in the owner's manual. Good on you!

sf_esq

Reaction score
I have a Charvet shirt that is quite nice, but overpriced and overrated, IMO. Plus, who has time to handwash and iron shirts? What is the cost of making one shirt at Charvet? Assuming it's at least $350 per shirt (a conservative estimate, no doubt), if you make 10 shirts, it's cheaper to fly to Hong Kong, stay in a 5 star hotel for a few days, make 10 shirts in the finest fabric from a quality tailor and you might even have enough left over for a fully canvassed top notch sportcoat. On top of that, they will provide you with much better service than the staff at Charvet. When I was last there about 8 years ago, the attitude of the salespeople was quite offputting.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I bought my first Charvet tie during a trip to DC in January. It's become my favorite tie, and I see more in my future.
ffffuuuu.gif
inlove.gif

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JohnShaft
"...I use a special hand lotion and white gloves when tying them...dont really "wear" them, just stand in front of the mirror without moving and admire them..."

You know, I so rarely see people that follow the instructions in the owner's manual. Good on you!

yea, im a stickler for the rules.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

mrmax

Reaction score
My first was excellent. My second and subsequent have all been spectacular. PV Charvet absolutely stellar.

sellahi22

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sf_esq
I have a Charvet shirt that is quite nice, but overpriced and overrated, IMO. Plus, who has time to handwash and iron shirts? What is the cost of making one shirt at Charvet? Assuming it's at least $350 per shirt (a conservative estimate, no doubt), if you make 10 shirts, it's cheaper to fly to Hong Kong, stay in a 5 star hotel for a few days, make 10 shirts in the finest fabric from a quality tailor and you might even have enough left over for a fully canvassed top notch sportcoat. On top of that, they will provide you with much better service than the staff at Charvet. When I was last there about 8 years ago, the attitude of the salespeople was quite offputting.

They're much more than $350/shirt. A shirt in fabric comparable to Charvet's offerings from a HK shirtmaker will cost $300-400. In any event, you might save some money buying shirts from HK, but the savings won't cover the flight and hotel for your trip.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads