• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tailors - Lost in Translation?

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I have a bit of a rant (you may recall my thread re faulty tape measures - same shop). Anyway, I recently bought a RL Jerome III suit which came with basted sleeves, shoulders & pant hems. I took it to this alterations tailor (he had previously done some RLPL & PRL pants for me, altering the waist and keeping the split waistband intact so I thought all was well).

I dropped the suit off to have the pants hemmed with cuffs, pant waist taken in 1" and the jacket sleeves let out 1". I got the pants back with the waist perfect, 1" cuffs (I thought the industry standard was 1.75") and the jacket sleeves were fully closed (unvented).

I took the jacket back while wearing another Polo jacket and asked if the sleeves could be fixed to have vented sleeves (don't all suit jackets have vented sleeves??). They told me to come back in an hour. I came back and the jacket sleeves were fully open (like they were when unbasted) but with the buttons attached. To make matters worse, they were uneven.

This was a week or so ago. I took the jacket back today with my Bradford jacket to show the difference. I asked if they could make the jacket sleeves like the Bradford ones. The counter guy got mad and said no and to take it to someone else. I asked for my money back and he said' "OK, but we will rip the sleeves open like they were".

I left both coats on the counter and went outside and called my wife (who was nearby due to a parent/teacher conference) to come by and (in Spanish) let the guy know I wasn't trying to insult him, but just trying to get what I asked for. I asked him to bring a jacket they already had in the shop trying to explain that this is how all jackets are. He said this was from the factory and they couldn't do it.

He gave me $20 back and I took it to the Korean tailor down the street to see what he can do. They needed a translator.

WTF?? Do no alterations tailors speak good English?

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
did you try on the clothing when you first took it in? did he mark it up with chalk? don't ASSUME! you say that the industry standard for cuffs is 1.75.....did you tell him that's what you want or did you assume?

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
and don't make the trip to the tailor a "drop off/2 min" affair...
try the pants. 1" may be a little more/less when he marks it. TELL him you want a 1.75 cuff. mave him mark it with chalk while you are there...etc....

Roger Everett

Reaction score
All the alterations people (store) or tailors I've been to in my area ( Fl ) go with 1 1/4" as standard. Which I like, but still, I always check to be sure we're both on the same page.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have never encountered an alterations tailor that wasn't awkward as hell and made me nervous. I always get the feeling from them that I am somehow inconveniencing them.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
T - you need to find an actual tailor who does alterations.

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not too angry about the cuffs, I can fix that. I should have said 1.75-2". So my bad for that. The main issue is the jacket sleeves. I not only told them what I wanted but showed it with another jacket I had on. Plus I took another jacket in when I went back the third time just in case (obviously) the second explanation wasn't clear).

FWIW, there is no where to try on pants at this particular shop. The second one I took the jacket too has a small curtained changing room (in view of the front window when you emerge) but still, how hard is it to lengthen a jacket sleeve that's basted and keep the current construction????

Maybe I should visit the NYC tailors thread...

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TRINI
AT - you need to find an actual tailor who does alterations.

teacha.gif

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The Louche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
I have never encountered an alterations tailor that wasn't awkward as hell and made me nervous. I always get the feeling from them that I am somehow inconveniencing them.

+1. I think its simply that 98% of their clients don't have any ******* clue - or really care - about what they really want or what is an acceptable level of finish and quality. Most people just go to the tailor to have some glaring problem made less so.

js4design

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You have to be specific. I've got a good guy now who knows how i like things, but I was specific with him the first few visits. When I went to woman a few years ago I left specific sketches with detailed dimensions for cuffs, button placement, etc. I could tell she thought I was an OCD ass, but my clothing came back correct.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 71 36.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 19 9.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 34 17.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 33 17.0%

Forum statistics

Threads