or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › (singapore) Fitting Help Needed For Shirts
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

(singapore) Fitting Help Needed For Shirts

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 
Hi, I'm looking for local Singaporean bespoke enthusiasts or perhaps tailors who have experience dealing with fits, sizes, and the whole spectrum of measurements (especially concerning slim-fits). Need advice and help with cuts/fittings.

Willing to pay in exchange for advice/instructions.

Any interested parties please PM me !
post #2 of 11
The key is to find a decent shirtmaker in Singapore in the first instance.
post #3 of 11
yeah good tailor is important. I have had good experience with Baronni (located somewhere in shenton way/cbd) but their shirts are rather expensive for MTM, although they provided me with great advice on fit, style etc.
post #4 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by klebisking View Post
Hi, I'm looking for local Singaporean bespoke enthusiasts or perhaps tailors who have experience dealing with fits, sizes, and the whole spectrum of measurements (especially concerning slim-fits). Need advice and help with cuts/fittings.

Willing to pay in exchange for advice/instructions.

Any interested parties please PM me !

Hey,

You might want to consolidate all your threads asking for help instead of making a new one everytime you think of a question. No offense, and I admire you for trying to start a business, but how much knowledge do you have in the field you are trying to break into?
post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeeth View Post
yeah good tailor is important. I have had good experience with Baronni (located somewhere in shenton way/cbd) but their shirts are rather expensive for MTM, although they provided me with great advice on fit, style etc.

You wouldn't happen to have pics of fit and cloth recommendation?

I'm somewhat a cynic... in Singapore, I see a lot of super tight clothes that accentuate body flaws and stripes with FC's - oh the horror
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuy View Post
and stripes with FC's - oh the horror

Erm, whats FC?
post #7 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edify, Inc View Post
Hey,

You might want to consolidate all your threads asking for help instead of making a new one everytime you think of a question. No offense, and I admire you for trying to start a business, but how much knowledge do you have in the field you are trying to break into?

Hi I'm sorry for not providing more background info but basically I'm very very new to this forum (think 2 days :] ) and I'm not familiar with the various functions/tools of SF and how else to get my queries across but to post them (deeply sorry for any inconvenience caused).

I will not disclose everything about me or what I intend to do but basically I don't want to claim to be an entrepreneur or a fashion designer but basically this is a rough picture of who I am and what I intend to achieve through my queries:

I intend to start a menswear range with emphasis placed on subtle design ethics (e.g interplay of length of collars/cuffs etc. small details that I find significant), at the same time, I recognize the importance of traditional tailoring and its role in the production of a garment/product. Unlike other local labels that have flopped which overlooked quality of fabric and the bespoke touch in their products, I intend to integrate and incorporate both traditional tailoring aspects as well as modern design cues.

Background info of myself: I am an economics degree holder while simultaneously having been trained in design for a period of three years (albeit not fashion or textile design). I grew up in a family whose business during the 1950's - 1970's was garment manufacturing for stockists such as Metro and Isetan from the 70's to the 80's. However, the fact that it was a sunset industry did affect my family's fortunes and interest in the business died out just as I hit the age of 16. The majority of my relatives with the prior knowledge and contacts in the industry have passed on. This I guess has been a passion and long-term dream of mine, to re-venture back into the fashion and apparel industry and trying to continue my family's halted legacy.

Not going to disclose much about the business structure but basically I am working in collaboration with partners in other fields unrelated to fashion or textiles, but we have secured a moderate to high level of capital to begin with. (6 figures initially, and signed and contracted investment streams of 7 figure numbers to come in once the label churns its first cent of profit). (Doubters or Pessimists might want to say I'm lying or exaggerating but that's fine with me I'm just being frank and disclosing as much as i legally can about my company).

I have been tasked with the overseeing of the manufacturing of the garment products, and with very primitive knowledge, I have resorted to the great knowledge tome that is SF to help provide me with answers and paint a clearer picture of the whole process. Being the perfectionist that I am, I intend to maximize profit by sourcing for the manufacturer providing the best utility (bang for buck basically), sourcing for the appropriate fabric, and finding the perfect cut or fit. I will not blindly go to the costliest bespoke tailor, purchase the priciest fabric in the hope of producing a product that is relevant to me and my partners. To unlock the large amount of untapped capital, we need to generate profit (all accounts are audited, mind you, so no cutting of corners or easy ways to access the larger capital).

From what I have explained so far, I shall explain why I seek an expert or enthusiast with experience in the fitting and cuts of shirts and other products. I need someone who's contactable and available on a flexible basis as ideas for our garments come at whim and fancy, one design conceptualized on paper on Monday could be deemed redundant by Wednesday. A traditional tailor or rather one with a brand name shop cannot offer me such personalized service at a reasonable price. Thus, the need to search for an individual who be it for passion or minor profits, is willing to cater his services.

Yup! Anyone interested please PM me! Any queries into my brand/company is also welcomed! Do note that I am unable to disclose all information though due to confidentiality agreements previously signed. And finally, Lets all gather together and have some faith in Singapore as a whole
post #8 of 11
Wow, quite an essay. But thanks for the disclosure. One issue I have though. You mentioned that your garments comes n goes, and that one design on Monday could be made redundant on Wednesday. What exactly do you mean by that? Also, what range of apparel are you looking into? Pricing range? Feel free not to answer if it infringes your NDAs. I do have someone in mind who may be interested with some knowledge of the field. I will PM him the existence of this thread. Meanwhile, good luck!
post #9 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edify, Inc View Post
Wow, quite an essay. But thanks for the disclosure. One issue I have though. You mentioned that your garments comes n goes, and that one design on Monday could be made redundant on Wednesday. What exactly do you mean by that?

Also, what range of apparel are you looking into? Pricing range? Feel free not to answer if it infringes your NDAs.

I do have someone in mind who may be interested with some knowledge of the field. I will PM him the existence of this thread. Meanwhile, good luck!

Oh don't pay too much attention to that statement. What I meant by that was that measurements deemed relevant (such as a moderately slim fit) on any given Monday, could after a review be then deemed irrelevant or inappropriate for production in favor of say a more standardized fit that would better suit the design. The flexibility of the role I seek is highly important as being part of the design process means irregular time frames for creations as inspiration cannot be forced. Designs for garments might be created daily, and then stagnant for a fortnight before 1 is produced and then subsequently 1 design in 2 days or a longer period. The timing structure is unpredictable. That's basically what I meant. Thus, if I have a design lets say Today, I would want to be able to visualize it on fabric ASAP and know if its usable or not. :::: Sorry for being draggy, but just wanted to be clear about what my earlier statement meant ::::

As to the range of apparel, we intend to produce an entire menswear range (except shoes, bags and suiting), from shirts to trousers to shorts to socks to ties and other garments as well. Extremely apologetic and sorry but I can't release price ranges because you can very easily search my other posts, know my wholesalers/manufacturers/fabrics and immediately conjure up the entire price structure and mark up percentages of my label which would immediately cause the downfall of the brand. Hence, all I can broadly say is the price would be sandwiched between Ben Sherman and Thom Browne. Forgive me once again if I am draggy or did not answer your query, NDA's do limit my transparency and disclosure to unfortunately only about 30-40% of what my brand is about.

Hope it helps
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by klebisking View Post
Hi I'm sorry for not providing more background info but basically I'm very very new to this forum (think 2 days :] ) and I'm not familiar with the various functions/tools of SF and how else to get my queries across but to post them (deeply sorry for any inconvenience caused).

I will not disclose everything about me or what I intend to do but basically I don't want to claim to be an entrepreneur or a fashion designer but basically this is a rough picture of who I am and what I intend to achieve through my queries:

I intend to start a menswear range with emphasis placed on subtle design ethics (e.g interplay of length of collars/cuffs etc. small details that I find significant), at the same time, I recognize the importance of traditional tailoring and its role in the production of a garment/product. Unlike other local labels that have flopped which overlooked quality of fabric and the bespoke touch in their products, I intend to integrate and incorporate both traditional tailoring aspects as well as modern design cues.

Background info of myself: I am an economics degree holder while simultaneously having been trained in design for a period of three years (albeit not fashion or textile design). I grew up in a family whose business during the 1950's - 1970's was garment manufacturing for stockists such as Metro and Isetan from the 70's to the 80's. However, the fact that it was a sunset industry did affect my family's fortunes and interest in the business died out just as I hit the age of 16. The majority of my relatives with the prior knowledge and contacts in the industry have passed on. This I guess has been a passion and long-term dream of mine, to re-venture back into the fashion and apparel industry and trying to continue my family's halted legacy.

Not going to disclose much about the business structure but basically I am working in collaboration with partners in other fields unrelated to fashion or textiles, but we have secured a moderate to high level of capital to begin with. (6 figures initially, and signed and contracted investment streams of 7 figure numbers to come in once the label churns its first cent of profit). (Doubters or Pessimists might want to say I'm lying or exaggerating but that's fine with me I'm just being frank and disclosing as much as i legally can about my company).

I have been tasked with the overseeing of the manufacturing of the garment products, and with very primitive knowledge, I have resorted to the great knowledge tome that is SF to help provide me with answers and paint a clearer picture of the whole process. Being the perfectionist that I am, I intend to maximize profit by sourcing for the manufacturer providing the best utility (bang for buck basically), sourcing for the appropriate fabric, and finding the perfect cut or fit. I will not blindly go to the costliest bespoke tailor, purchase the priciest fabric in the hope of producing a product that is relevant to me and my partners. To unlock the large amount of untapped capital, we need to generate profit (all accounts are audited, mind you, so no cutting of corners or easy ways to access the larger capital).

From what I have explained so far, I shall explain why I seek an expert or enthusiast with experience in the fitting and cuts of shirts and other products. I need someone who's contactable and available on a flexible basis as ideas for our garments come at whim and fancy, one design conceptualized on paper on Monday could be deemed redundant by Wednesday. A traditional tailor or rather one with a brand name shop cannot offer me such personalized service at a reasonable price. Thus, the need to search for an individual who be it for passion or minor profits, is willing to cater his services.

Yup! Anyone interested please PM me! Any queries into my brand/company is also welcomed! Do note that I am unable to disclose all information though due to confidentiality agreements previously signed. And finally, Lets all gather together and have some faith in Singapore as a whole
Join the frequent flyer program of CX or SQ and visit HK for shirting, suiting and footwear, seriously. It's not easy but worth it.
post #11 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by H2T View Post
Join the frequent flyer program of CX or SQ and visit HK for shirting, suiting and footwear, seriously. It's not easy but worth it.

Hi, sorry but I didn't really understand the post. Are you suggesting I should source in HK for manufacturers or tailors? Or are you suggesting I import wholesale for resale?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › (singapore) Fitting Help Needed For Shirts