or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Germanicos- Bespoke Suits
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Germanicos- Bespoke Suits - Page 5

post #61 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane 101 View Post

I will get some photos at different stages for sure,
I believe Melbourne is where the garments are normally made, as there is no store in perth. The guy flys to and from Melbourne.
As with my case though, it will be stitched overseas.

 

What measurements did they take?

What did you ask for? What size lapels, how many buttons, what canvass construction, what shoulders, what sleeve buttons, how many sleeve buttons, how high rise are the trousers, what mill does the fabric come from? 

 

Did you pay for everything up front? 

post #62 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaRubbery View Post

What measurements did they take?


What did you ask for? What size lapels, how many buttons, what canvass construction, what shoulders, what sleeve buttons, how many sleeve buttons, how high rise are the trousers, what mill does the fabric come from? 

Did you pay for everything up front? 

I mentioned that I got their top shelf suit, and had a pattern and toile made which had 2 fittings before anything was stitched, Patterns were tweaked and after the suit was stitched there was another fitting with minor tweaks to get it 100% and to also add the sleeves, this all took place over about 6 weeks. But you don't listen Papa.

If you weren't definately a troll Papa you would ask a novice such as Shane, what shape the lapel was before the width? Are the sleeve buttons working like they should on a bespoke suit compared to a MTM? Rather than the rise of trouser, you would ask if he had pleats or not?
Rather the technical question only a troll of another tailor would ask to a novice about canvass construction, you would ask what shape pockets he had and if there was a ticket.

They were taking measurements from me for the better part of 20 mins must have been more than 30. During the measurements there was constant discussion about the shoulders and fit around certain parts of my body. The fabric mill is clearly on the books they show you, I got dormeuil England out of the summer Amadeus bunch, this was in the Germanicos platinum range, as I understand it they are dormeuil premium supplier in Australia, this is one of the top mills in the world! For styling we went through every process and discussed it in detail, I paid 50% deposit and balance on completion.

Shane came on asking for advice on this brand, I had something to add with my positive experience with germanicos and then came along all the trolls of other tailors who have never experienced anything there and are suddenly experts in the field. Why don't you disclose the tailor you work for Papa?
post #63 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRob View Post
I mentioned that I got their top shelf suit, and had a pattern and toile made which had 2 fittings before anything was stitched, Patterns were tweaked and after the suit was stitched there was another fitting with minor tweaks to get it 100% and to also add the sleeves, this all took place over about 6 weeks. But you don't listen Papa.
 
So you got it to 100% off one commission? Even though the top tailors in the world will openly admit that custom made clothing - be it MTM or bespoke is a process. 
 
So you either have low standards, or you're not disclosing your affiliations. 
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRob View Post
If you weren't definately a troll Papa you would ask a novice such as Shane, what shape the lapel was before the width? Are the sleeve buttons working like they should on a bespoke suit compared to a MTM? Rather than the rise of trouser, you would ask if he had pleats or not?
Rather the technical question only a troll of another tailor would ask to a novice about canvass construction, you would ask what shape pockets he had and if there was a ticket.

 

Again, lol. 

 

If this is bespoke, I'm interested in the specifics. 

 

Working cuffs are common on RTW. Hell, all my suit supply suits have working cuffs. 

 

Pleats can be bought RTW too. Rise is more interesting, and more important. 

 

Why can't he answer these questions - but more interestingly - why are you defending someone you've supposedly never met online? 

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenjiRob View Post

Shane came on asking for advice on this brand, I had something to add with my positive experience with germanicos and then came along all the trolls of other tailors who have never experienced anything there and are suddenly experts in the field. Why don't you disclose the tailor you work for Papa?

 

 

I'm just a happy camper with no affiliations to any tailor. Just because I call out a shill doesn't make me a competitor. Do you always accuse those who disagree with you of being your competition? 

 

In short, you'd win a lot more friends here if you posted up pictures of the final product. Instead of calling people who disagreed with you trolls. And then your employer would have a better name for themselves. The more we talk about this, the higher up it goes on Google's rankings ...

post #64 of 70
Papa isn't a troll I can assure you and doesn't work for any tailors and neither is wraith (though a client of Zink and sons I believe), but I must say the subsequent guilt before trial of Germanico's is a little embarrassing to see from one Aussie to another, even more so given no one from Germanico's has been giving the chance to set the record straight or are even aware of this threads existence. So to try and get a bit of clarity I've emailed them a link to the thread and if they want to comment or not will be up to them.

The term bespoke is widely misused over the whole industry as are many others like calling your fitters "tailors" and Germanico's certainly wouldn't be the first to do so if this is the case. Anyway we shall see what they say (if anything). In the meantime guys, lets wait till we get the facts.

Cheers
Jason
post #65 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Carter View Post

Papa isn't a troll I can assure you and doesn't work for any tailors and neither is wraith (though a client of Zink and sons I believe), but I must say the subsequent guilt before trial of Germanico's is a little embarrassing to see from one Aussie to another, even more so given no one from Germanico's has been giving the chance to set the record straight or are even aware of this threads existence. So to try and get a bit of clarity I've emailed them a link to the thread and if they want to comment or not will be up to them.

The term bespoke is widely misused over the whole industry as are many others like calling your fitters "tailors" and Germanico's certainly wouldn't be the first to do so if this is the case. Anyway we shall see what they say (if anything). In the meantime guys, lets wait till we get the facts.

Cheers
Jason

 

In the interests of full disclosure, I am a happy customer of Jason's. 

 

I've purchased maybe half a dozen ties off him, and half a dozen socks. 

 

He takes the approach of selling his product through pictures and being up front with his customers. You know exactly what you're getting when you buy one of his ties. He, and the vast bulk of affiliates on SF, operate on the principle of letting the quality of their products/work shine through. The level of after sales service on display is exemplary, and I don't buy in store anymore as nothing comes close. 

post #66 of 70
This is a two year old thread, remember. Germanicos is hardly a new outfit. I've looked into them before. Nothing new here.

I have been a customer of Zink & Sons in the past. I'm currently a customer of Shanghai C&G/Amy Yang, and that's MTM, not that that has anything to do with the subject at hand here.

The only trolls (and shills) in this thread are the likes of BenjiRob, Shane and the like, not PapaRubbery (and certainly not myself).
Edited by TheWraith - 1/6/14 at 8:36pm
post #67 of 70
Will try to explain the best I can, keeping in mind I dont have the vocabulary for this field. The guy took over 20 plus measurements and spent 2 plus hrs there deciding on the details
I chose a charcoal grey fabric in 120's wool that has a slight sheen under natural light. The fabric has a fine (check) pattern with more vertical line which im told would give me a taller appearance. Im right handed so he said they would compensate with slightly more padding on the left side, and I wear I watch on the left and took a measurement for that.I chose notched lapels, horizontal pockets minus ticket pocket, two buttons on front, four buttons per cuff. For the lining I chose paisley royal blue with charcoal pipping.
The pants I opted to go with no pleats, double vertical belt loops with back pocket.
And for a personal touch, embroidered in script on the inside jacket lining says this is specifically made for me.
I sure I left alot out, but it was alot to take in.
He was very professional, they asked me for 50% up front, I was happy to pay in full.
post #68 of 70

Glad to see some progress on this thread. Please post photos, Shane, or it will be all for nought. 

 

My disclosures: WWChan, Peter Lee, PJohnson, Boggi Milano, Al Bazar.

post #69 of 70


The only photo thus far which shows my chosen fabric, pipping & lining.
post #70 of 70
Ok guys I had a reply from John Tellis, Director of Germanicos and he had this to say -

I was forwarded your email from my PA, please excuse my delayed response I am currently in Italy & England buying the new seasons fabrics.

I would like to thank you for the heads up about this thread, it has been interesting reading.

I would like to confirm that we are bespoke tailors and make a unique pattern by hand for each and every customer. We place major importance on the unique pattern of each suit and we have as many fittings as are required to fit the customer perfectly. In stark contrast to what one blogger mentioned that we only have one fitting, this is incorrect and next to impossible for an impeccable fit. We have as many fittings that are required to fit each customer perfectly generally 3-4 fittings.

We fit many people with difficult bodies which would be next to impossible for a MTM tailor to achieve. For instance we have several customers that are confined to their wheelchairs all day and can't walk, their jackets and trousers need to be constructed in a totally different way or customers with a chest size of 100+ inches, there are no patterns for these bodies, you have to draw them and use experience to get everyone fitted perfectly. I'd be happy to send through some images based on the customers consenting to this.

As I do not return for another 7 days, if you could convey this for me that would be great as time is of essence here and I am extremely busy.

Kind regards

John Tellis

Director - Germanicos Bespoke Tailors
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Germanicos- Bespoke Suits